DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:25 PM

Default Double bass drum pedal technique

Hey everyone, I've been playing with a single pedal since I started to drum at the age of 8-10 and have mastered every technique I've come across with it. I've always been some what of a traditionalist been inspired by the likes of Bonham, Jojo mayer and so on as regards bass drum technique with single pedals. However I have just bought a double pedal and am wondering if anyone knows of anywhere were I can learn some patterns or tunes and techniques. i.e on the net, books, dvd's, artist etc. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Robertondrums
Old 12-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Double bass drum pedal technique

Your left foot works exactly like your right foot, so just copy the technique from your right to your left. Work on Stick Control and some rudiments to gain fluency with linear foot patterns. As for patterns and tunes... Well, the world is full of CDs with double kicking. Pick your favorites and imitate. Given your experience you should have little trouble figuring out what's happening in the nether region and how to play it.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Your left foot works exactly like your right foot, so just copy the technique from your right to your left. Work on Stick Control and some rudiments to gain fluency with linear foot patterns. As for patterns and tunes... Well, the world is full of CDs with double kicking. Pick your favorites and imitate. Given your experience you should have little trouble figuring out what's happening in the nether region and how to play it.
Cheers man, thanks for the advice I will work on getting my left foot to the standard of my right foot. I wasn't shore if they were supposed to work the same in certain techniques.
Thanks
Robertondrums
Old 12-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

They have to work exactly the same, if you want every beat to sound evenly.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 PM

welcome to the biggest challenge you will ever face lol its a pain in the butt man and it takes a long time before you finally start feeling comfy. My left is finally getting there but i still got alot to go. I hope you have been keeping time with the left foot on the hi hat because if so you at least have a head start. Make sure you can play heel up and heel down. later man an good luck
Old 12-11-2008, 12:07 AM

Devote a little bit of practicing time each day to playing the bass exclusively with your left foot. Go back to your basic beats you learned as a beginner, and then just gradually work up the complexity until the ability of your left starts to approach your right. Once left-foot playing feels a little more natural, start working on basic rudiments with your feet, starting painfully slow of course. Remember how you first taught your hands to play and teach your feet the same way.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parasprinter View Post
Devote a little bit of practicing time each day to playing the bass exclusively with your left foot. Go back to your basic beats you learned as a beginner, and then just gradually work up the complexity until the ability of your left starts to approach your right. Once left-foot playing feels a little more natural, start working on basic rudiments with your feet, starting painfully slow of course. Remember how you first taught your hands to play and teach your feet the same way.
Thanks a lot for the tips I really appreciate them. Because I have always played with a single and have never touched a double in my life my left does feel a bit sluggish. So I will do what you suggested and start from the basics. I have only had it 2 days now and I can already do the heel toe technique quite comfortabley with my left. But as for muscle strength in my left I don't quite have the staminer to hold it for a long time. Just takes time I guess like your right foot does when you first start.
Thanks a lot
Robertondrums
Old 12-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloEy View Post
welcome to the biggest challenge you will ever face lol its a pain in the butt man and it takes a long time before you finally start feeling comfy. My left is finally getting there but i still got alot to go. I hope you have been keeping time with the left foot on the hi hat because if so you at least have a head start. Make sure you can play heel up and heel down. later man an good luck
Cheers man for the info. I most definatly have been keeping time with my left foot. I learnt that when I was 10. The only thing I guess what I have to do is build up my strength in my left. Its kind of weird that at about 160bpm my left starts to panic a bit. But I suppose I should just start slowly and build up. I've had my pedal for 2 days now and are managing the heel toe technique with my left which came as a great shock that I could do it strate away. But my staminer is really poor. But like anything it takes time.
Thanks so much for the post and if you have anymore tips please let me know.
Thanks
Robertondrums
Old 12-12-2008, 03:03 PM

hi, to start with, there are basically 2 beginnerīs techniques:

1. if you ever learned to treat the drum set the traditional way which is keeping time with your hihat either on downbeat or upbeat, then you just move you left feet to the left bass pedal, and play any groove just like u are used to. Both pedals will then create combined cool double bass patterns automatically without any practise. This is called "changeching sound source technique". In fact this was the initial "trick" of doublebass master Ginger Baker: play the quarternote puls on the left BD instead of the hihat, while the right foot just plays whatever any drummer plays. Both feet then combine to cool patterns...No extra practise required.

2. RLRL subdivision (flow motion technique)....think about 8th or 16th over a RLRL grid...then just play anything R with right foot, anything that falls on L with left foot...e.g with the most basic rock beat of all times you do not need double pedal, but make it a habit to play all "ands" with you left foot, just to get the feel. e.g: play the most basic and common groove of "We will Rock you" ..boom boom tshack...play the second boom with you left foot..and so on....
have fun

Last edited by rootheart; 12-12-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootheart View Post
hi, to start with, there are basically 2 beginnerīs techniques:

1. if you ever learned to treat the drum set the traditional way which is keeping time with your hihat either on downbeat or upbeat, then you just move you left feet to the left bass pedal, and play any groove just like u are used to. Both pedals will then create combined cool double bass patterns automatically without any practise. This is called "changeching sound source technique". In fact this was the initial "trick" of doublebass master Ginger Baker: play the quarternote puls on the left BD instead of the hihat, while the right foot just plays whatever any drummer plays. Both feet then combine to cool patterns...No extra practise required.

2. RLRL subdivision (flow motion technique)....think about 8th or 16th over a RLRL grid...then just play anything R with right foot, anything that falls on L with left foot...e.g with the most basic rock beat of all times you do not need double pedal, but make it a habit to play all "ands" with you left foot, just to get the feel. e.g: play the most basic and common groove of "We will Rock you" ..boom boom tshack...play the second boom with you left foot..and so on....
have fun
Awesome dude I will try this emediatley. Thanks a lot. I just need to try and build up my speed with the RLRL and I will be kicking.
Thanks
Robertondrums
Old 12-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Silver Member

Seems like this thread is a recurring theme on the forum. Anyway, in order to become a double bass monster, you have to practice long and hard through the pain and burn. What you are doing is building muscle memory and endurance and in most cases, building actual fast-twitch muscle fibers that you've never used before so in order for you to do this, you have to work out. You have to play through the burn. 4 words to live by: Play to a metronome.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Seems like this thread is a recurring theme on the forum. Anyway, in order to become a double bass monster, you have to practice long and hard through the pain and burn. What you are doing is building muscle memory and endurance and in most cases, building actual fast-twitch muscle fibers that you've never used before so in order for you to do this, you have to work out. You have to play through the burn. 4 words to live by: Play to a metronome.
Thanks a lot man, I will do just the same practise ruteen that I used for my right foot and hope that my left will soon catch up. I will definatly play through the burn!!!
Cheers
Robertondrums