DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Can we please agree that this is the most amazing drum cover ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
You know that feeling when you wake up in the morning from a night of heavy drinking? Anyone understand?
Yes... and unfortunately thats the feeling I got a few minutes ago...Kinda like a cross between *I know I have things to do,,,but I really feel like placing my head ever so gently onto a pillow and passing out*....
Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 AM

NOT. But the guy is solid.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Silver Member

He's pretty solid but i didn';t make it past 2:30, my attention span isn't that great if i'm not entertained. So like, he's supposed to be really good for his age? How old is he? 15? 16? 'Cause youtube tony royster jr at 12 years old and he kills this cat in like the first 20 seconds. And if this cobus dude is older than say 18, well then he's nothing special AT ALL. Hell if you wanna get dag-nasty, youtube jakob armen at 7 years old on Johnny Carson (Tonight Show), THEN tell me cobus is talented for his age.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:36 AM

When will people realize that music is not a competition? Sure, you are entitled to an opinion, but don't think what you say is automatically right, like don't say that pop music is crap (I don't like it myself anyways, but others do), and don't compare him to supposedly "better" drummers. Everyone has their own style and skill level, but skill level isn't ALL of what makes a great drummer, or musician. Personally, I don't like Cobus's song selection from the Hybrid Series, but he made it great because of his showmanship, and how he totally plays with all of his energy. I can tell that he is actually enjoying it, and not just headbanging to be cool. Thats why people like him. Thats why he gets tons of views and ratings. If you try to get technical with it, you ruin it. He gets what music is REALLY about unlike some people on this forum.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
He's pretty solid but i didn';t make it past 2:30, my attention span isn't that great if i'm not entertained. So like, he's supposed to be really good for his age? How old is he? 15? 16? 'Cause youtube tony royster jr at 12 years old and he kills this cat in like the first 20 seconds. And if this cobus dude is older than say 18, well then he's nothing special AT ALL. Hell if you wanna get dag-nasty, youtube jakob armen at 7 years old on Johnny Carson (Tonight Show), THEN tell me cobus is talented for his age.
Sorry to get a bit moody on you, but I find this kind of attitude a bit demeaning. Tony Royster is just ONE drummer who might be amazing for his age, but you're talking like we haven't heard of him or that video of him playing at 12 years old. We all know he was special. Cobus, he's definitely older that 16, which makes your latter comment a bit demeaning to pretty much all other 18 year old drummers, including me. To say he's nothing special AT ALL is a bit much I think. He is a fantastic drummer, with great technique, coherency and showmanship. Is he the new Vinnie or Lang? No. But yes, he looks young and so I would say he is damn good for his age. Just because there are 7 year olds who play brilliantly for being 7, it's doesn't mean 18+ guys can't play brilliantly for being 18+.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 AM

The positive thing about the video is the fact that he had good energy..

Other than that, I'd take something musical any day. He could probably become a GREAT drummer, if he only played for the song and not for his ego.
It's a hard thing, because everyone likes to get some good words about their playing, but a musicians goal should always be to think about "us" and not "me".
Once you focus on your own stuff too much, while playing with other musicians, you're going downhill...

Go listen to Jeff Porcaro! :)
Old 12-11-2008, 03:11 PM

Default Brian Blade Solo Cover....

this guy nails Brian Blades Solo on Jazz Crimes freakin' NOTE FOR NOTE!!!!!!

One of the best covers I have seen/heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pqSzWKZTdo

jason
Old 12-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Whitedrummer

Yeah, I really love these guys that play along to tracks instead of playing with live muscians. Boreing.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:54 PM

I just don't get watching a drummer play another drummers parts to a music track.

Unless it's a cover band live....or a drummer playing his own stuff.

This kind of stuff does nothing for me.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pNaQub7Gru0

Not a cover, but one of the best living drummers...
Old 12-11-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Very much so.

For the 14 year old. If you think the Morello solo is monotonous or sounds monotonous I suggest you start the musical process of tuning your ears at your young age now to dig a little bit "deeper" into the mix to see what's really going on other levels. You may be surprised a few years down the road how your views may change after doing some "fine tuning" of your listening skills and understanding of certain conceptual processes related to music and drumming.

You want some constructive criticism there you have it.
to add also Tony williams was playing deep things at a very young age.....
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 PM
lewisn27

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshisaces View Post
LAWLS.
Everybody bashes 805, and everyone needs to remember he's 13.
And?
Im 14 and people can bash me as much as they want, i'll say something back but most of the time i couldn't give a s**t about what people say, in real life and every applicatiion.
But i don't think this is the best cover, it was good but you know... didn't amaze me. He would be quite a good pop/ punk drummer, not really my genre.