DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:38 PM
coreyflecha coreyflecha is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Default Very high pitch snare sound

Hello, first sorry for my bad english is not my native laguange xD

second, i want to know how to get a real high snare sound, i want something like the snots's first record, i try a couple of snares (mainly of wood) and i cant get nothing close to that sound

thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:42 PM
Push pull stroke Push pull stroke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 1,613
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

Either get a shallow cast shell brass snare and crank it really tight, or get a 12-inch or 10 inch snare.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:53 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,477
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

Find one of those Pearl 13 x 3 piccolo snare drums. They can usually be had for about $100. That should do the trick.

https://reverb.com/p/pearl-s1330b-13...#used_listings
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:57 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,811
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

Anything metal and 5" deep or shallower.

Tune the heads tight and away you go.
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:01 PM
coreyflecha coreyflecha is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

thanks to all for the information, now i know what am looking for :)

thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:23 PM
BertTheDrummer's Avatar
BertTheDrummer BertTheDrummer is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,110
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

I used to have a Tama 13x4 Hammered Steel snare that excelled very well at that kind of thing.
__________________
“Be a musician who plays the drums; don’t be a drummer who is trying to play music.” - Tommy Igoe
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Rattlin' Bones's Avatar
Rattlin' Bones Rattlin' Bones is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,049
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

I have found most every Sakae wood snare to be very high and can be cranked way up, much more so than other snares. I once had a 12" Sakae that you could barely touch and it sang with a loud very high pitch. Their wraps are awesome looking too!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-17-2019, 05:04 PM
coreyflecha coreyflecha is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
I have found most every Sakae wood snare to be very high and can be cranked way up, much more so than other snares. I once had a 12" Sakae that you could barely touch and it sang with a loud very high pitch. Their wraps are awesome looking too!!!
i think they dont sell this en europe i cant seem to find one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
I used to have a Tama 13x4 Hammered Steel snare that excelled very well at that kind of thing.

After some research, am choosing between a black panther "the stinger" (used) or a new tama soundworks both 10"

i like the mapex more but is more expensive and i think the tama will do the job fine
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 PM
MrInsanePolack's Avatar
MrInsanePolack MrInsanePolack is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 2,255
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyflecha View Post
i think they dont sell this en europe i cant seem to find one




After some research, am choosing between a black panther "the stinger" (used) or a new tama soundworks both 10"

i like the mapex more but is more expensive and i think the tama will do the job fine
Sakae has suspended their business operations. You would have to find a used one on eBay or something. FWIW, they were the makers of Yamaha drums for a very long time, so you might look at some Yamaha snares also.
__________________
Grease or The Bird, which is it? Someone please tell me, what is the d@mn word?
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:54 PM
williamsbclontz
This message has been deleted by williamsbclontz.
  #10  
Old 01-17-2019, 10:02 PM
VitalTransformation's Avatar
VitalTransformation VitalTransformation is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Scandinavia (or was it Nova Scotia? I forget...)
Posts: 809
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

Keep in mind that a 10" will have a very short note and it won't be loud. No good for backbeats. I would get a 13" piccolo.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-17-2019, 10:50 PM
Tamaefx's Avatar
Tamaefx Tamaefx is online now
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: France
Posts: 788
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalTransformation View Post
Keep in mind that a 10" will have a very short note and it won't be loud. No good for backbeats. I would get a 13" piccolo.
Exactly : you want to keep a bit of body.
Brass or metal piccolo. 13”.
Pearl free floating piccolo I came across were very high and bloody powerful.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-18-2019, 09:16 AM
coreyflecha coreyflecha is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

good to know that!

i like the pearl piccolo brass, dont know if the free floating system matters but free floating snares seem to be more expensive xD

thanks again !!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-19-2019, 04:18 AM
Rattlin' Bones's Avatar
Rattlin' Bones Rattlin' Bones is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,049
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

There are many new Sakae snares available on eBay and Reverb. There are still numerous Sakae snares in dealer inventories. They're just not making any new ones, so once they're gone they're gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Sakae has suspended their business operations. You would have to find a used one on eBay or something. FWIW, they were the makers of Yamaha drums for a very long time, so you might look at some Yamaha snares also.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Tamaefx's Avatar
Tamaefx Tamaefx is online now
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: France
Posts: 788
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyflecha View Post
good to know that!

i like the pearl piccolo brass, dont know if the free floating system matters but free floating snares seem to be more expensive xD

thanks again !!
Metal (steel or brass) Pearl FF are very powerful ; the impression I had was that they weren't that well for soft players ; those snare drums are for heavy strokes and are powerful. To my ears the FF piccolo were way too high and aggressive, but this is what you're looking for !
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-20-2019, 02:04 PM
coreyflecha coreyflecha is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Default Re: Very high pitch snare sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
Metal (steel or brass) Pearl FF are very powerful ; the impression I had was that they weren't that well for soft players ; those snare drums are for heavy strokes and are powerful. To my ears the FF piccolo were way too high and aggressive, but this is what you're looking for !
Well i'll see if i can find a FF at good price or save money to get one new xD
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com