DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-07-2018, 03:19 PM

Default New (used) Drums - Pearl Vision

I saw these in the local classifieds for $300 and I contacted the guy, after a little text exchange we agreed on $250, the deal maker was that he would drive them to me. After looking at them and comparing them to what I have read online, I believe they are the VBX...Birch with a lacquer finish...I am not sure but I can't see any mention of any other wood on the drum. Did these sets come with Pearl branded hardware? The kick pedal I got as well as the throne are SP brand..they are very lightweight..I am not saying they are bad, they are just lightweight, budget items and are probably a good value for the price. I also got 2 SP brand straight cymbal stands, an SP brand hi hat stand (very lightweight), a Sabian B8 ride cymbal, and Agazarian brand high hat and crash cymbals..these Agazarian cymbals are the strangest sounding (in a bad way) cymbals I have ever heard...I don't know why they bothered manufacturing these things. A cookie sheet on a cymbal stand would sound better. Anyhow, what drew me to the drum set in the first place was the look of them. A blonde natural wood look. You know how people put a pillow or something in the bass drum? This bass drum is full of stuffed animals, which is pretty funny. I put a heavier duty kick pedal on it and played it a little bit last night but it was late and I have neighbors. I will try wailing on it after work today. Is anyone still reading this? I am just bored at work and I am typing a novel at this point. Here are pics:

Old 12-07-2018, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: New (used) Drums - Pearl Vision

If I remember correctly they had two series, one that was Birch/Basswood and one that was 100% Birch. I'm guessing if it was the Birch/Basswood it would say that instead of just saying Birch though, and I don't know if the Birch/Basswood one came in a Lacquered finish.

Hardware was probably an option, but if the person got it from a Guitar Center or Sam Ash or probably most places, I bet it was just sold as a shell pack.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:40 PM

Oh, in one of the pics it can clearly be seen that the floor tom's head is in mint condition...the reso side has all of the stick marks. When I set the drum set up I noticed that the head on the floor tom was a different type than the other toms, then I noticed the Pearl badge was upside down. I put the legs on the other direction and now it is proper...the previous owner was playing it upside down.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

It could be the VBX but it looks like the initial Vision VLX series-I had one I gave my son-in-law looks exactly the same. I believe mine also said birch ply on the badge though it's mixed woods of birch and basswood. The vision sensitone snare is great-it was my go to gig snare. The kit is based on Reference with a mix of birch and bass wood (it was discontinued with birch and maple only kits) and different thicknesses of toms (I think they changed that too). The only downside is the ISS mounts but the kit sounds great still-I play it when I visit him. The 12 in tom was finicky tuning but other than that a great lil kit. The 16 tom shells are thick and tune easily sounding great. You got a great deal on the kit-I like the mixed wood ones better than the pure birch and maple ones.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

Dude, that kit was a steal. Why can't I ever stumble into deals like that? LOL!

They look great - just a classic clear lacquer over natural wood - and I bet they sound great too. From a shell construction perspective, they're probably pretty close (if not identical) to the former Pearl SBX Session, which was fairly highly regarded during its time.

Slap some coated Emperors or G2s on that kit, and it's going to be warm, punchy, and they'll sound great anywhere for anything.

One thing I'd be curious about would be the hoop thickness. I'm not a fan of diecast hoops, but if those are the thin hoops that used to come on Exports, it might be worth it to upgrade them to 2.3 mm hoops - they'll tune up a bit easier, and the intonation will be more stable over time. That's a later issue though - as is, you've got a great looking workhorse of a kit.

Nice find!
Old 12-07-2018, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
Dude, that kit was a steal.
Yeah, what a price! Where I'm from you'd be lucky to find a used Toys'R'us brand kit with a 13 1/2" bass drum for that amount.. .
Old 12-07-2018, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

These were Pearl's mid-low end kit below the Session. I always thought they were very similar to any upper level. Look at the Decade Maple they now have. They are laughable with metal parts that came out of a cracker jack box. These Visions have Masters grade parts on them.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstar View Post

These were Pearl's mid-low end kit below the Session. I always thought they were very similar to any upper level. Look at the Decade Maple they now have. They are laughable with metal parts that came out of a cracker jack box. These Visions have Masters grade parts on them.
I thought that Visions from this era came after the Session series had been discontinued. Am I wrong about that?

In any case, I agree - Pearl was putting out some really nice stuff back then. I shopped around quite a bit before I went with my Pearl SMX Session Custom. Even had I known they were going to be discontinued soon afterward (I got mine in 2006) I'd have gotten them anyway because at the time I felt they were just about the best value for the dollar that was available at the time with new drums, although I almost bought a set of Tama Starclassic Performers.

The mixed wood Visions back then were regarded as the "poor man's Reference." Great sounding drums at value pricing.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I thought that Visions from this era came after the Session series had been discontinued. Am I wrong about that?

Sessions have NEVER been discontinued. Here is a catalog below for the last year of the Visions.. and you can see the Sessions are in there with them.

http://pearldrum.com/support/product...al-catalog.pdf
Old 12-07-2018, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Sessions have NEVER been discontinued. Here is a catalog below for the last year of the Visions.. and you can see the Sessions are in there with them.

You, my friend, are incorrect - the SMX and SBX Sessions were discontinued after 2006. By 2014 when that catalog came out, Pearl had reintroduced the Session Studio Classic. They were made like the old SRX Session line with the flat lugs (mine are bridge style - essentially the same lugs the Exports from that era had) and I believe they only offered those in birch hybrid shell, not maple.

Even the description in the catalog says as much:

"With traditional shallow-depth toms for increased articulation, The ‘Classic’ is back with a unique Kapur/Birch hybrid shell. Powerful attack, added tonal clarity, and stunning lacquer finishes make it fit in any pro playing environment."

Here's a thread on the Pearl Drummer's Forum from 2008 talking about it:

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...ession-Customs

Here's a quote from that thread referencing it directly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXEMAN View Post
The Vision series replaced sessions series...this is a fact. Now the Vision series has taken what Pearl learned about making and selling Reference series and made the Reference concept affordable to beginning and intermediate players.

Honestly Sessions QUALITY is far above that of the Visions when you compare the materials the shell and hardware are made of. There's little difference in the lugs but the tom mounts, rims are somewhat...less than desirable. On the other hand Pearl designed these drums to give us an affordable alternative to Reference.

AXEMAN
Sorry - not trying to be a tool about it, but as someone who had only owned my SMX Session for a fairly short amount of time, I was fully aware when Pearl dropped them and replaced them in their lineup with the Vision series of drums. I think that the Session series of that era had a marketing problem because of where they fell in their product line. Most guys looking for a good upgrade to a mid-level kit went with Exports and anyone who was really serious about their drumming forked out the extra for the Masters series (MMX and MRX, at that time) and the SMX and SBX Session series sort of languished in the "unwanted" zone because of how they were marketed - "entry level pro." There's nothing entry level about them. They were made with the same wood on the same machines as the MRX and BRX (maple and birch, respectively) with the only functional differences being the hoops, (flanged vs die cast) and number of lugs on the kick. (8 vs 10 on the Masters) The finish was also different - Sessions had a lacquer finish and Masters used a complex poly finish - but to me that wasn't something worth paying a $1000+ premium for. (They also had different shaped/sized lugs - to me that was also irrelevant.)

I saw the SMX Session as being just what I was looking for. It was priced at a point I could afford and offered so many pro-level features that to me spending more for the MRX Masters was a point of diminishing returns. On the other hand, the 4-ply re-ringed MMX Masters were a whole different thing - those would have been worth every penny IMO and I still keep a lookout for them on the used market.

FWIW, here's the Pearl catalog from 2007 - Visions are listed, but Sessions are not.

Last edited by trickg; 12-07-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You, my friend, are incorrect - the SMX and SBX Sessions were discontinued after 2006. ]
I'm not your friend .. got it ??

They were removed for a few years.. but when I see the referenced word.. "discontinued".. I evaluate that as permanent based on CURRENT day.

They were right back by 2012 and still available today.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

They were removed for a few years.. but when I see the referenced word.. "discontinued".. I evaluate that as permanent based on CURRENT day.

They were right back by 2012 and still available today.
Once again you are incorrect. The SMX and SBX Sessions were discontinued, and they still are - those drums in that configuration cannot be had anymore.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Once again you are incorrect. The SMX and SBX Sessions were discontinued, and they still are - those drums in that configuration cannot be had anymore.
I never said anything about SMX/SBX although those are both Sessions. I mentioned the name Session only.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

The Vision drums were what replaced, for a short time, the Exports. Pearl tried to discontinue the Exports by offering the Vision line, and that idea just didn't work out. Having owned some Vision drums, I thought they were built better than the Exports. Nice and heavy with those thick birch shells. They aren't a bad kit. $250 for that kit and delivery is a major steal! Some guys are still on eBay selling orphan Vision toms in that $100-150 range depending on the size. Maybe you could get a shell pack for under $400 without snare.

I liked the Visions - if the bass drums had ten lugs per head instead of eight, you'd think they were one of their better pro lines. The Vision lug is very similar to what they used on the Masters drums too. I couldn't figure why Pearl brought back the Exports at the cost of the vision - the new Exports don't seem as well built.

Congrats on the new kit! They will serve you well. If you can put new heads on it, top and bottom, they'll sound great. I had the best luck with thicker heads with these - like Pinstripes or Emperors.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
They aren't a bad kit. .
I always thought they sounded great.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I never said anything about SMX/SBX although those are both Sessions. I mentioned the name Session only.
And the Session line was discontinued between 2007 and when they brought it back in 2014, just the same as the Ford Ranger pickup was discontinued in the US in 2011, and it will make a return in 2019.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And the Session line was discontinued between 2007 and when they brought it back in 2014, just the same as the Ford Ranger pickup was discontinued in the US in 2011, and it will make a return in 2019.
Again.. i was responding to what I took as the idea that they are CURRENTLY discontinued.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:11 PM

Okay, I decided to put some new heads on these drums. Pinstripes and Emperors were suggested. Any other suggestions? I do prefer a warm tone that doesn't sustain for a long time. I will also need a snare head. Do I need to change the resonant side as well or just go with the batter side to begin with?
Old 12-09-2018, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyclinic View Post
Okay, I decided to put some new heads on these drums. Pinstripes and Emperors were suggested. Any other suggestions? I do prefer a warm tone that doesn't sustain for a long time. I will also need a snare head. Do I need to change the resonant side as well or just go with the batter side to begin with?
If you want to cut some resonance, I'd go with coated Evans G2s or coated Vintage Emperors - those sound great on any kit I've heard them on. The Vintage Emperors are going to cost a touch more than the Evans G2s, but might be well worth the extra $$$. I've currently got coated Vintage Emperors on my Gretsch Catalina Jazz bop kit toms, and they sound fantastic on those - warm, punchy, and they tune up pretty easily.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:57 PM

Good buy. A church I play at has this exact kit (same finish as well). It's always sounded amazing. I recently put a fyberskin PS3 on the kick reso side and it looks like a high end kit.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM

Update on the set. I scored 2 Zildjian A Custom cymbals for it last weekend. An 18 inch Crash and a 17 inch Projection Crash. I really like the sound of both of them. The 18 inch is louder than the 17 inch for sure though. I picked them up used off of the local classifieds for $140 for both.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Dude, that was a killer deal on the cymbals - if you'd bought them new you'd have paid in the $500 range for the pair. Nice score!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

"removed for a few years" = "discontinued for a few years"

"when I see the referenced word.. 'discontinued'... I evaluate that as permanent based on CURRENT day." - Why? The word's only time designation is that of past tense. Nothing current or permanent stated or implied. "Currently discontinued" would imply, ummm, currently discontinued.

And why so salty? He was friendly with the response. Dang. :/

Last edited by timmdrum; 01-05-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:10 PM

Okay. Current pic. It has the A Custom crashes I bought plus my 10" A splash, my K Custom 20" Special Dry Ride, and my 14" A Custom hi-hats.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:49 PM
Silver Member

I don't see the pic. Can anyone else?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

I can see the pic.

They look great! I love natural finishes.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
I don't see the pic. Can anyone else?
I think it is just you.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:34 PM

All of the drums still have the stock Pearl branded heads on them. I am going to switch them but I just haven't yet. I think after I get the new heads and a good tuning (I know someone that is better than I am at tuning that will do it) these drums are going to be here for a long time.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
I think it is just you.
Maybe. Any time someone *attaches* pics, I can see them. When someone links to pics, I can *sometimes* see them.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:39 PM

Seriously, you got this setup for $400 basically, WOW. I agree with whomever said, "I wish I could find deals like this". . . .

Very nice. I've always loved Pearl.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Thats a pretty nice cymbal upgrade, compared to picture one, and with the addition of some professional drumheads you will be set for some time..