DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-16-2019, 01:01 AM

Default which Pearl snare is this

Hello fellow colleagues, as topic says, i need more informations about this snare. How old is it, what is the name, was it good? All i know is that its old and have 10 lugs.
Thank you!
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2019, 01:08 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Which Pearl snare is this?

Judging by the lugs probably early 80s, they didn't really have names just model numbers. Looks like the snare that came with the early Pearl Exports, the model number changed based on the year and which kit was included with.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: which Pearl snare is this

The badge is wonky. No serial number, no model name (it should say Export on it somewhere, or Steel Shell), and the giant R is unfamiliar also. If it has an R, it is typically smaller and at the bottom right of the script. The throwoff definitely looks 80s Export, missing knob non-withstanding, but I don't remember them having 10 lugs. The lines in the shell look right, but how many cheap ass copies of Pearl drums are out there? It looks like a duck, but may not walk or quack like one. That badge is not right.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:51 AM
Platinum Member

I had a 10 lug Pearl steel snare with the identical badge, but a heavy duty parallel strainer. Was a nice loud drum.

Name:  pearl steel.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  302.5 KB
Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
I had a 10 lug Pearl steel snare with the identical badge, but a heavy duty parallel strainer. Was a nice loud drum.

Attachment 84584
Your badge is different. On yours the script is centered, the R is much smaller and at the bottom right of the script (not huge and too high), and the white border is much thicker. I cannot find his badge anywhere else at all. Yours turned up pretty quickly. That giant R is specifically what I'm trying to find on any model of Pearl badge with no luck at all.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:50 AM
Gold Member

So the consensus is it is either a copy of an 80s Pearl Export-ish drum or a Pearl Export-ish drum. Either way not really worth a whole bunch. It looks pretty rusted, pitted, and stuff too, so even less.

Edit: Yes, I agree the logo is odd with the big registered (circle r) logo.

Last edited by BertTheDrummer; 01-16-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Your badge is different. On yours the script is centered, the R is much smaller and at the bottom right of the script (not huge and too high), and the white border is much thicker. I cannot find his badge anywhere else at all. Yours turned up pretty quickly. That giant R is specifically what I'm trying to find on any model of Pearl badge with no luck at all.
Ya you're right, good eye. The R does stand out, its almost never that big on any kind of badge.
Could somebody really be making fake Pearl badges to put on no-name entry level steel drums .....to sell them off as Pearl's? Not too much money in that.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

I wonder if it's a drum from a very old middle school band snare / bells / practice pad kit?
Old 01-16-2019, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
I wonder if it's a drum from a very old middle school band snare / bells / practice pad kit?
Maybe. I guess it could be possible that they just took a bunch of older shell/lug configs and sold them as part of school band kits. Though the registered mark is still odd in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Ya you're right, good eye. The R does stand out, its almost never that big on any kind of badge.
Could somebody really be making fake Pearl badges to put on no-name entry level steel drums .....to sell them off as Pearl's? Not too much money in that.
I don't know if someone would be making a fake Pearl badge for a drum like that, it doesn't seem like the Pearl badge would really raise the value any.

Edit: I posted this over on the Pearl Drummer Forums, I'll report any findings.