DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Default Drum Identification

Hi,
Please can someone help me identify the drum kit in the pictures? (As you may have guessed, I'm not a drummer! The kit was given to my daughter decades ago and its been taking room up in my loft for a long time. I've finally persuaded her to sell it so I'm trying to find out what it is, how much its worth and where best to advertise.
There are 4 drums, a bass, a snare and two others. The make is Premier but there doesn't appear to be any model number. They appear to be made of wood.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance. Hopefully the following link will take you to the photos.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum Identification

Your pic does not show. Re-size to smaller, save and upload as 'Image'. If you can take a pic of any of the badges on the drums.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:00 PM

That wasn't a good start!

Hopefully this link will take you to the photos.
Thanks.
DJB

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ivMXY9TopptwS6KT7
Old 01-13-2019, 03:32 PM
Gold Member

It is a Premier kit made in England. LOL

Seriously it is an excellent vintage set of drums. They are thin shells most likely mahogany from the color of interior ply, and with reinforcement rings. With the type of muffler pad on the snare (rectangle) and the re-rings, I'd say 70's era. Someone on here will know exactly based on the kit has matching snare, the badge, type of mount, re-rings, lugs, and mounted tom does not have lugs for bottom head. The badge is throwing me because I think it's a later badge, yet they are thin shells with re-rings. And those vintage bass drum spurs.

I love the lugs on the toms. Beautiful. And the wrap is a very desirable black marine pearl.

Not sure about condition - the pics don't flatter them. Is that a bit of rust I see? And on chrome parts is it tarnished?

It is an excellent and desirable kit. Should have a very nice vintage sound to them. They're worth something for sure. Cleaned up and spit polished they could fetch some good money.

Last edited by Rattlin' Bones; 01-13-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:59 PM

Many thanks for the info Rattlin' Bones!

You're right, the black pearl finish does look great but the chrome has some tarnish and the odd spot of rust - not surprising after spending years in a loft!
I'll dig my chrome cleaner out and see how they come up.

Thanks again for spending the time answering.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:42 AM
Silver Member

The drum badge is late 60s, early 70s. Both the snare and floor have the large beer barrel die cast hoops but what's odd is the rack tom with triple flange hoop, square t-rods and no bottom head. The snare itself is the flobeam parallel system and worth about $250 as it sits. Entire kit which I think might be the Model 54 is worth maybe $500 as it is. And that might be a stretch. As for construction the shells are probably birch with beech reinforcement rings.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:23 AM
Banned

The triple flange hoop on the concert tom isn't original (they should all be die cast aluminum with slotted tension rods), but that is my favorite era of Premier drums. The snare strainer is the same one on their 2000 model I think.

With a bit of love, those drums will sing.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
The triple flange hoop on the concert tom isn't original (they should all be die cast aluminum with slotted tension rods), but that is my favorite era of Premier drums. The snare strainer is the same one on their 2000 model I think.

With a bit of love, those drums will sing.
Yes it is the same strainer as the 2000. AND yes those drums are superb as are most Premier drum prior to the 80s.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:03 AM
Gold Member

60s, early 70s Premier thin ply with re-rings drums are going to worth a lot more than that $500.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:43 AM

If it's just the shell set without the snare, I could see this kit going for less than $500 - at least in Europe, old Premier kits don't fetch very high prices.

I don't know about specific Premier sets, so just some general ideas:

Things that should lower the price:

- Concert tom
- The seller is no expert, so potential buyers might pass if they can't get detailed answers - given the prices and availability of vintage replacement parts, it's understandable that people are reluctant to buy anything if they can't be sure that it's in perfect condition

On the plus side:
- The floor tom could be 14", so maybe the whole set has some smaller drums which might make them more desirable
- Pedals and stands included
- There are hi hat cymbals in one picture - if you can take a photo of the stamps on the cymbals, people can tell you, what you have

Some advice for getting more money out of the sale:
- Measure the diameters of all drums. These will influence the price because some sizes are more in demand.
- Set them up and take photos of the complete set, so a buyer has some kind of proof that the hardware is functional
- You could sell parts like the snare and cymbals separately. If your daughter knows how to set up the strainer, you might invest into a new resonant snare head like a "Remo Ambassador Snare Side". If the snare works properly, that's a huge plus
- If you're willing to ship, you can reach more people

Best of luck!
Old 01-14-2019, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

Yes. I think the snare itself could sell for at least $300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissward Flamtacles View Post
If it's just the shell set without the snare, I could see this kit going for less than $500 - at least in Europe, old Premier kits don't fetch very high prices.

I don't know about specific Premier sets, so just some general ideas:

Things that should lower the price:

- Concert tom
- The seller is no expert, so potential buyers might pass if they can't get detailed answers - given the prices and availability of vintage replacement parts, it's understandable that people are reluctant to buy anything if they can't be sure that it's in perfect condition

On the plus side:
- The floor tom could be 14", so maybe the whole set has some smaller drums which might make them more desirable
- Pedals and stands included
- There are hi hat cymbals in one picture - if you can take a photo of the stamps on the cymbals, people can tell you, what you have

Some advice for getting more money out of the sale:
- Measure the diameters of all drums. These will influence the price because some sizes are more in demand.
- Set them up and take photos of the complete set, so a buyer has some kind of proof that the hardware is functional
- You could sell parts like the snare and cymbals separately. If your daughter knows how to set up the strainer, you might invest into a new resonant snare head like a "Remo Ambassador Snare Side". If the snare works properly, that's a huge plus
- If you're willing to ship, you can reach more people

Best of luck!
Old 01-14-2019, 09:04 PM
Gold Member

Buyers of classic drum sets are used to seeing kits in rough shape, especially from non-drummers. Nonetheless, the kit is hurt by the corrosion on the snare and the unusual concert ride tom.

I'd say $500 on ebay would be the best way to go. You might try your local CraigsList if you do not want to ship. If that is the case, expect a little less money - maybe in the $425 range.

Considering its poor condition, I just don't see more than $150 for the snare drum. The replacement parts are expensive.

Nonetheless, it's a nice kit, and some TLC and $$$ could turn it into a real classic.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 01-14-2019, 10:53 PM
Gold Member

Reverb is another great place to sell musical gear. I use it a lot to buy/sell.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
60s, early 70s Premier thin ply with re-rings drums are going to worth a lot more than that $500.
Yeah, the thin shell re-ringed Premiers are super excellent drums. My estimated price threshold is based on the pictures which show interior shells in rough condition. The rack tom as pointed out in previous post is not the original according to any catalog I've seen. I am by no means a Premier expert but have done a lot of research and owned many Premier snares and kits over the years. Here's a photo of a model 55 floor tom I owned. 16 x 18 deep with the big beer barrel die casts and pre-international heads. Birch shell with eucalyptus re-rings. A real beast!
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2019, 10:15 PM

Thank-you so much for all the time spent replying - hopefully its been interesting.

As a non-drummer myself, I'm amazed at how much detailed knowledge you all have. It's clearly fascinating and I can easily see why people might collect drums - there's a lot more to them than I ever knew!

Thanks again for all your help.