DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-09-2019, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

Default My BumWrap Journey. Rewrapping 35+ Year old Pearl Exports

I figured I'd start this thread just to document my BumWrap journey. My BumWrap is supposed to come in today. So once I at least get a drum done, I'll try and post some pictures.

So I've been contemplating re-wrapping a 1982 Pearl Export that I have. It is a great sounding set, but it has obviously been used and the wrap was certainly showing a lot of wear. I had been debating between a couple of options and a recent thread on BumWrap and checking out their facebook ended up helping me to decide to go with them.

I hadn't intended to take the old wrap off my drums, but ended up doing it. They bubbled a bit as I took off the badges, so I went ahead and took a heat gun and removed it. They were only glued down at the seam so it wasn't too bad except trying to loosen up 35+ year old glue with a heat gun without burning anything. Nice thing is since I'm just going to re-wrap I didn't have to worry about getting every little piece done. The wrap on these were almost like aluminum foil with a plastic wrap over that, so a lot of the "foil" seemed to stick and the plastic was all that came off.

I cleaned up all the hardware as best I could, but a lot of it is nicked up and stuff from use and being moved and gigged and some of the chrome is pitted from age. I got it all polished up, so it looks good at least. We will see if I eventually decide to replace anything or not later.

Here's a before picture of the 12" tom, which is pretty representative of the whole set, to show a before picture:
Attached Images

Last edited by BertTheDrummer; 01-11-2019 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 PM

Default Re: My BumWrap Journey. Rewrapping 35+ Year old Pearl Exports

I'm on the verge myself of ordering from them and re-wrapping my kit. How long ago did you place your order?
Old 01-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustion View Post
I'm on the verge myself of ordering from them and re-wrapping my kit. How long ago did you place your order?
I put in my order on Dec 29th. I didn't pay for the rush job. I contacted them on Jan 2nd to change the design. I got shipping confirmation on Jan 5th. So all in all it was really quick especially considering new years.

Edit: I'll add this here, this is what I posted on a previous thread about the customer service with me changing the design of the wrap after Ir ordered.

I have to give a shoutout for BumWrap's customer service.

Long story, but basically I was going to re-wrap my early 80s Pearl set to kind of match another drum set, but ended up not doing that.

I ended up deciding it would be cool to instead go instead with a vintage look with the 80s Pearl. With the internal dampers I figured I could get a nice vintage sound out of it, plus it to give me a nice contrast with the other kit. Anyway I emailed them asking if they haven't started production on my wrap yet, if I could switch... which they let me go ahead and switch out the design I had planned.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

I think BumWrap is an excellent solution for cheap wrap for an old kit. I used them a few times, and I'd do it again.

Too bad at the time I didn't know about CompactDrum's cheaper-than-Del-Mar sparkle wrap. I would have probably wrapped my drums in that and possibly kept them as opposed to sold them.

Looking forward to watching your progress!

If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest going to your home improvement store and buying about 4-5 of the small spring clamps. They will make your life much easier. This is what I used:

Old 01-09-2019, 08:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I think BumWrap is an excellent solution for cheap wrap for an old kit. I used them a few times, and I'd do it again.

Too bad at the time I didn't know about CompactDrum's cheaper-than-Del-Mar sparkle wrap. I would have probably wrapped my drums in that and possibly kept them as opposed to sold them.

Looking forward to watching your progress!

If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest going to your home improvement store and buying about 4-5 of the small spring clamps. They will make your life much easier. This is what I used:
I got a set of like 30 clamps off amazon for less than $30. So I have plenty of clamps for it.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
I have to give a shoutout for BumWrap's customer service.
Me too, when I had trouble placing an order for a sample they were very responsive and sent me one free of charge, very quickly. Good to hear your order was processed just as fast.

Right now the only thing keeping me from placing an order is a bit of soul searching... do I really want to change its look? Decisions, decisions...
Old 01-09-2019, 10:46 PM
Gold Member

I finished one drum and decided to take a break, so here's the progress so far.
The bare shell. You can see the aluminum foil type stuff that stuck, I just left it on since I was rewrapping the shell.

Here is how the wraps arrived.

After opening the box, here's the wrap by itself. I got "1966 Oyster."

Finished the first side

The finished drum
Old 01-09-2019, 10:52 PM

Nice wrap choice! I would happy with that finish.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_M View Post
Nice wrap choice! I would happy with that finish.
I was really tempted to go with their Ed Sullivan or Black Oyster Pearl or something like that. I wanted something vintage styled but I didn't want something too Ludwig rip-off or too crazy colored. I thought the 1966 Oyster was a good compromise and I think it works out pretty well.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:41 AM
Silver Member

I don't see any of the images. :/
Old 01-10-2019, 02:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
I don't see any of the images. :/
Just mine or can you see porkpieguy's photo? If it is both, I'd say it is a setting on your end. If it just mine, then it might be the site I uploaded to and I can upload them to a different site.

Anyway here's the 16" tom (See attachment)... this one took a while because it turns out my tom is 16x15 and not 16x16. Anyway I ended up having to take my xacto knife and cut off an inch. It ended up still working but took a bit longer.

I ended up finishing the bass drum, but didn't get a chance to put heads on it yet. I ran out of time for the evening. Anyway I'll try and get those put on and get the set all setup and ready for a full set picture. My wife came out to check on me and said that the wrap looked really nice... so I guess it passed the wife test at least.
Attached Images

Last edited by BertTheDrummer; 01-11-2019 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:15 AM

Bumwrap is a good company. I recovered an Accent Zep kit from Taiwan in the Ed Sullivan wrap, and it turned out really well. Yours look great so far- looking forward to seeing the whole kit.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest going to your home improvement store and buying about 4-5 of the small spring clamps. They will make your life much easier.
I have to say, having the clamps to keep the wrap straight is a must especially if you are doing it on your own. I don't think I would have been able to do it without.

I'm still debating about replacing lugs or not. They look fine until you look really close. I'm probably the only one that would notice and be bothered by it. Just the wrap looks so nice now, I almost feel bad using the old lugs and hoops.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:19 PM
Gold Member

Here's the (almost) final product (see attachment). When I took off the wrap on the 12" it took a bit more of the shell off than I originally thought, so I think I'll have to do some filling in before I wrap that one. Though I usually only use 1 rack tom anyway, and the 22/13/16 setup will work out fine for me for now. I wanted to take the set outside and get some good pictures, but it is very overcast and almost looks like it is about to rain any minute now.

I'm planning on grabbing a white bass drum reso for the set. I think that might match a bit better, but this one is what I had sitting around.

For comparison, another picture of the before (2nd attachment), though not the picture of it when I got it. When I got it, it had some gnarly pitted metal hoops and t-rods. The first thing I did was order the wood hoops and new tension rods.
Attached Images

Last edited by BertTheDrummer; 01-11-2019 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Changed pictures to attached images.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:40 PM
Gold Member

Bert,

You've done an extraordinary job of wrapping the Pearl kit. Really nice. I love the color.

Are you gluing the wrap down with tape or contact cement? I'm going to rewrap my new Slingerland kit with WMP and will use contact cement.

I'll bet the white bass drum reso head will really set that kit off right. I did that on the Slingerland kit (replacing the original ebony head) and it did the trick, visually. The only thing I regret is forgetting to buy a smooth white instead of coated (smooth makes it much easier to apply decals).

GeeDeeEmm
Old 01-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
Bert,

You've done an extraordinary job of wrapping the Pearl kit. Really nice. I love the color.

Are you gluing the wrap down with tape or contact cement? I'm going to rewrap my new Slingerland kit with WMP and will use contact cement.

I'll bet the white bass drum reso head will really set that kit off right. I did that on the Slingerland kit (replacing the original ebony head) and it did the trick, visually. The only thing I regret is forgetting to buy a smooth white instead of coated (smooth makes it much easier to apply decals).

GeeDeeEmm
Thanks for the compliment. It turned out really well, better than I expected. The only issue is if you take the hoops off of the floor top you can see where I had to cut it down to size by hand. With the hoop on you can't see it all though.

The Bum Wraps come with double stick tape on one edge standard. That is what I did and basically just followed the instructions on some of the videos they showed.

I thought about contact cementing the whole thing. I have refinished a drum before, but stained that one. I decided since this was my first try on doing the wrap, I wanted the method that had the least possibility of messing stuff up.

Honestly with all the lugs and hardware on, it is really solid. It should be easy to replace it if I want to later since there isn't anything actually glued to the shell at all.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:58 PM
Administrator - Mayor

If you ever have to replace a wrap on one drum for whatever reason, gluing the entire wrap down would be a big mistake. My only change in the instruction was to use masking tape on the first end, use clamps all of the way around and then use the included double sided tape. If you need to take it off, it will come off easily. What you have there is fantastic. And you are right with all of the lugs, snare assembly, snare butt, vent hole the wrap will need nothing else to hold it tight to the shell if you pulled, clamped, pulled all of the way around.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:40 AM

I love this. I wish I had my first set, an old Crestline 5-piece. I'd rebuild it. Great job on the wrap. A white reso would definitely look great, 60s-ish.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:47 AM
Gold Member

What a transformation! Job well done.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Just mine or can you see porkpieguy's photo? If it is both, I'd say it is a setting on your end. If it just mine, then it might be the site I uploaded to and I can upload them to a different site.
As I posted in another thread, I can see them in other threads like this one: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=158570 . Odd thing is, when I clicked Quote on your reply, and it put all your text inside the two "QUOTE" markers, I also see "[IMG] https://i.imgur.com/fLKCajr.jpg [/IMG]" (without the spaces) as part of your quoted text. When I go back to this reply post and click that link, I get routed to the page, but there is only a tiny white dot in the center of a large black screen.

I'm using Chrome, and I've checked the option in settings to allow photos to show, so I don't know what the issue is. My guess is that I can see uploaded photos but not those hosted elsewhere. I don't see porkpieguy's photo either.

Last edited by timmdrum; 01-11-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog new Cans View Post
I love this. I wish I had my first set, an old Crestline 5-piece. I'd rebuild it. Great job on the wrap. A white reso would definitely look great, 60s-ish.
I've been debating between white or a fiberskyn/calftone, but will probably go white. Like you said I think it'll get more of that 60s vibe that way.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
As I posted in another thread, I can see them in other threads like this one: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=158570 . Odd thing is, when I clicked Quote on your reply, and it put all your text inside the two "QUOTE" markers, I also see "[IMG] https://i.imgur.com/fLKCajr.jpg [/IMG]" (without the spaces) as part of your quoted text. When I go back to this reply post and click that link, I get routed to the page, but there is only a tiny white dot in the center of a large black screen.

I'm using Chrome, and I've checked the option in settings to allow photos to show, so I don't know what the issue is. My guess is that I can see uploaded photos but not those hosted elsewhere. I don't see porkpieguy's photo either.
I added the finished product as an attachment above instead of an outside link. So maybe that will work for you.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:18 AM

Beautiful drums. I think the old lugs look fine, from here at least. They'll give it more of a vintage vibe.

(Speaking of chrome, I'm using a chromebook and all the pictures are working here.)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I've been debating between white or a fiberskyn/calftone, but will probably go white. Like you said I think it'll get more of that 60s vibe that way.
A calftone would look great as well. Definitely
Old 01-11-2019, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

I wanted to clean up old hardware, so a friend of mine suggested I use 0000 steel wool and 3-in-1 oil to clean hardware and I had great results. It was easy, and no scrubbing needed. I've got a bunch left over, and if you were close, I'd invite myself over and get it knocked out in about 30 min.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I wanted to clean up old hardware, so a friend of mine suggested I use 0000 steel wool and 3-in-1 oil to clean hardware and I had great results. It was easy, and no scrubbing needed. I've got a bunch left over, and if you were close, I'd invite myself over and get it knocked out in about 30 min.
Thanks for the tip but I it is actually all pretty much all cleaned up.

The problem is a lot of the lugs have some nicks and dings and stuff like from being sat down on concrete when they were loaded and unloaded and being knocked around. It is just fairly noticeable close up because of the way the middle is on the coffin lugs and how it sticks out. Honestly, most anyone, even people just coming up to look at the them without looking super close, you wouldn't notice. Just I've spend so much time taking the lugs on and off, cleaning and what not, that I notice.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just I've spend so much time taking the lugs on and off, cleaning and what not, that I notice.
I felt the same way about my Pearls whenever I did all of that work. Probably just one of those things that I'd have never noticed if I hadn't worked so intensely on it. Great job BTW! Love that finish.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

That's a great job and a really nice finish choice.
Cheers!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:44 PM

Nice job. Maybe I'll document my journey if I take the plunge. Which, by the way, is re-wrapping a WMP set with BumWrap's Ludwig Walnut Cortex. The blasphemy...
Old 01-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustion View Post
Nice job. Maybe I'll document my journey if I take the plunge. Which, by the way, is re-wrapping a WMP set with BumWrap's Ludwig Walnut Cortex. The blasphemy...
Are you covering your marble floors with linoleum also you absolute madman?

Rewrap looks great op.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
Are you covering your marble floors with linoleum also you absolute madman?
LOL, I know, right? It's only because I'm adding an orphan drum that doesn't match and instead of going thru the headache of removing its wrap and replacing it with proper WMP, BumWrap is an easier fix.

And, I have a thing for cheesy 70s wood paneling...
Old 01-11-2019, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Well I went to my local GC, and didn't have a whole ton of choice of bass drum reso heads. In fact outside of black, I didn't really have much option at all. I ended up grabbing the only thing that wasn't an obvious bass drum batter head (Powerstroke Pro/SuperKick/Emad type thing), which was a Coated Powerstroke 3. I'll probably end up ordering something else later and using the PS3 as a batter head or who knows maybe I'll like it and keep it.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2019, 12:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I added the finished product as an attachment above instead of an outside link. So maybe that will work for you.
I do see it now, but I've been able to see images in the "Attached image" blocks the whole time, and I've also been able to see linked pics also, I think, such as the one in the other thread I mentioned. Dunno. Computers are weird.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

I'm digging the coated PS3. The pinstripes go with the wrap.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
I'm digging the coated PS3. The pinstripes go with the wrap.
Me too. Looks good and I'm sure sounds great. Good job on the rewrap!

[14 CREW]
Old 01-13-2019, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

The looks of your kit has really improved. Great job. Peace and goodwill.