DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-01-2018, 04:23 PM

Default Yamaha Nouveau Lugs - Tuning Tips Needed

I'm having a bit of trouble working with the nouveau lugs on my BCAN kit, and looking for tips.

When I install new heads on my other kits, I typically finger tighten each tension rod to get them more or less the same, and then I go from there using a drum key to bring the drum up to pitch. This works really well.

With the nouveau lugs, I find there's not a lot of room to get my fingers in there, and the lugs are a bit sticky on my particular kit. That's a separate problem and probably requires attention of its own.

I'm hesitant to lube the tension rods because it's often said that this contributes to drums detuning more easily. Misinformation, perhaps?

I have an Evans torque key but that's of limited value due to the sticky lugs. I think that the lack of uniformity between lugs is limiting the effectiveness of the torque key.

How do YOU work with nouveau lugs? I've removed and reinstalled some new heads a couple of times already and I'm still seeing some light wrinkling even after the drums are brought up to pitch. Clearly something is wrong here!

Assuming that the sticky lug issue gets resolved, what's your approach to tuning with nouveau lugs? How do you get them evenly tensioned BEFORE bringing the drum up to pitch with a drum key?
Old 12-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Yamaha Nouveau Lugs - Tuning Tips Needed

In these cases I just go by look rather than feel. Get the wrinkles out, take it up to playing range, then even out the lugs by sound. Itís a lot easier with thinner heads, to tune each lug by sound.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:14 PM

Might be easier to use two drum keys at once, better chance of having even tension across the drum. Have a couple of snares with similar lugs. Initial tension down to where tension rod meets the hoop and then match pitch across the drum and bring the tension up from there.

Mick
Old 12-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

I had a kit with those lugs before and I know what you are going through.

What worked pretty good for me was using the Evans drum key. The magnetic one. Instead of finger tightening the screws, tighten each lug with just using the top part of key using thumb and fore finger. Then go from there.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2018, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

That Evans drum key is a good idea. I didn't have one when I had my b c a n kit. I usually just tightened all the lug screws down and pulled up and down on the rim to see if it was snug or not. if it was snug I would loosen it to where it was not snug anymore and then I'd start torquing all of them down. On all my past drum sets the lug screws turned easily with my fingers and I would screw them all down finger tight but it didn't work very good on the nuvo's it hurt my fingers. I had forgotten about that new aspect of owning those LOL
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll grab that Evans key today.

Tuning with Nouveau lugs really is a different beast. If and when I get good at it, I'll post a how-to video on YouTube.

Cheers!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:18 AM

Late to the party, but hereís what Iíd recommend. I also have a kit with the nouveau lugs.

First off, clean those bolts and lugs and lightly lube them so that theyíre not sticky and hard to turn. Use your key to tighten the bolts until they make contact with the hoops and meet some resistance. Use the wrinkle method to evenly tension the head and bring it up to pitch. Itís that easy.

You have one of the best made and sounding kits there. Enjoy it!!
Old 12-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammyfan View Post
....I'm still seeing some light wrinkling even after the drums are brought up to pitch. Clearly something is wrong here!
Ya - that's not right. Uneven tension. I doubt if the hoops are warped that much, but it wouldn't hurt to check
them on a flat surface next time you take them off. Even if they're warped a little, they should pull back into
shape when you tension them.

Anyways, you can lube the rods, but the rubber/plastic piece they run through is an interference fit, so it won't help much.
I have to use a key and actually look for when the gap between the rod and the hoop closes.
Also, if you've changed some heads, you know that you have to position the lug over the stud
and then keep upward pressure on it while you start to run the rod down.

I tap and listen for equal pitch near each lug while keeping light pressure on the center of the head.
You can't really go by feel.
Those lugs are a PITA and the thing I like least about my MCANs.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:57 PM

It's official - I detest these hook lugs!

I must have removed and reseated these drums heads 100 times and I still haven't found a straightforward way of tuning them. Wrinkles, no wrinkles, torque keys, magnetic keys, Tune-Bot... they're still all over the place.

I think I'll put them away for now and will put Stage Customs back in service for a little while. I need to enjoy playing again.

Hard to believe how finicky these TOL drums can be. Must be a bit like owning a Ferrari.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

My old Premier has a kind of brake system built-in - making the rods almost impossible to turn by hand after a few turns. It's supposed to prevent detuning.
But like you, it made me lost all my point of reference.
Like you I used to turn the rod finger tight and then, give few turns with a key.
I guess it's the classic / efficient way.
With the Signia lug, since I can't turn without a key, I play it differently, I turn till the rod touches the washer, and then give a full turn as a starting point. still, this isn't to me as satisfactory as the traditional way.
It's a good advice to get a key with a thumb nob. I have the Tama one.

Personally I don't like those built-in brake in the lugs, I lost my reference and feeling. At first, it drove me mad and I bought a second-hand Tama tension watch to be sure to tune every lug the same.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
My old Premier has a kind of brake system built-in - making the rods almost impossible to turn by hand after a few turns. It's supposed to prevent detuning.
But like you, it made me lost all my point of reference.
Like you I used to turn the rod finger tight and then, give few turns with a key.
I guess it's the classic / efficient way.
With the Signia lug, since I can't turn without a key, I play it differently, I turn till the rod touches the washer, and then give a full turn as a starting point. still, this isn't to me as satisfactory as the traditional way.
It's a good advice to get a key with a thumb nob. I have the Tama one.

Personally I don't like those built-in brake in the lugs, I lost my reference and feeling. At first, it drove me mad and I bought a second-hand Tama tension watch to be sure to tune every lug the same.
I've tried the Evans torque key and the Evans magnetic key with the thumb knob but neither managed to mitigate the problem. I get the lugs feeling evenly tensioned but fine tuning with the Tune-Bot is still next to impossible.

The BCANs are in the closet for now and the Stage Customs are going up in their place. Maybe I just need to chill out for a few days until my patience returns ;)
Old 01-06-2019, 01:39 AM
Platinum Member

Take a break. Those lugs are really finicky.

With a bit more time, you should be able to get them dialed in right though.
I use a drill to change heads, and it's always a little nerve wracking taking them off,
and even worse getting them back on.

The newer Tour Customs I got have normal lugs, and I gotta' admit, it's pure joy in comparison.
The hoops are nice too, and they tune up real easy.

So, I understand your wanting to use the Stage Customs again.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:57 AM
Gold Member

It has been a while since I have dealt with a nouveau lug drum, but if I remember correctly I think the key is making sure they are straight and aren't swiveling out of place on you.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Take a break. Those lugs are really finicky.

With a bit more time, you should be able to get them dialed in right though.
I use a drill to change heads, and it's always a little nerve wracking taking them off,
and even worse getting them back on.

The newer Tour Customs I got have normal lugs, and I gotta' admit, it's pure joy in comparison.
The hoops are nice too, and they tune up real easy.

So, I understand your wanting to use the Stage Customs again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
It has been a while since I have dealt with a nouveau lug drum, but if I remember correctly I think the key is making sure they are straight and aren't swiveling out of place on you.
Thanks for the tips, guys.

The Stage Customs are up and... well, it just isn't the same. That said, they tuned up like champs. In fact they were hardly off even though they've been sitting unused for weeks.

I'll take a couple of days off and will try again when my patience returns. It's only the 10" and 12" that are giving me a hard time. The floor toms are easy to tune.