DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

Default Interesting Insights By Cathy Rich On Her Dad

Who knew he was a big time UFO buff.

https://youtu.be/9OCftO-zmb8
Old 12-14-2018, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Interesting Insights By Cathy Rich On Her Dad

That was awesome......
Old 12-14-2018, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

As a UFO buff myself, I've been aware for many years that Buddy Rich had a strong interest in the subject. The article below I've saved on my computer a long time ago and what better time than now to share it here.

DRUMMER BUDDY RICH: UFO “SUPER BUFF”
Jazz drummer Buddy Rich was what Beckley calls a true “UFO enthusiast,” similar to comedian Jackie Gleason in his fanatical devotion to the subject. Buddy had several sightings and was even a member of the Center for UFO Studies as well as being a friend of Dr. J. Allen Hynek, the group’s director.* *

Beckley spoke to Buddy between sets in the dressing room of Buddy’s Place, his New York supper club, about his initial sighting experience.*

“It was back in the summer of 1954,” Buddy said. “At the time, I was appearing with my band in Atlanta, Georgia. My brother was right beside me in the front seat of our sports car. We were driving along, on the way to do a show, when I happened to glance through the windshield of the auto and saw two brightly illuminated objects coming out from behind the dark side of the moon.”*

The brothers stopped the car in the parking lot of the club to get a better look. The objects were now doing figure-eights in front of their astounded eyes. The UFOs seemed to be playing tag with each other and were making incredible turns at impossibly high speeds, the G-forces of which would crushed whoever was onboard. Within minutes, 200 patrons of the club who had heard about the aerial ballet came out to see for themselves. After a few more minutes, the objects shot straight up and disappeared into the starry sky.*

Buddy dutifully phoned an Air Force base about 20 miles from the club and was told by a base official that they had received over 500 calls reporting the incident but their radar indicated nothing was flying in the area at the time. Buddy says he has since learned that this is the standard military “cop-out.”*

Buddy had another sighting in 1966 during which he and his wife were nearly driven off the road by a gigantic saucer-shaped craft. Unable to shake the incident from his mind, he began collecting books, news clippings and photos of these elusive discs, eventually amassing a sizeable file of information.*

As part of his crusading efforts, Buddy tried to convince other celebrities that flying saucers are real, including the late “Tonight Show” host, Johnny Carson. Carson continually rebuffed Buddy’s entreaties to take the subject seriously, that is, until the time Carson saw one himself while staying at the Sahara Hotel in Las Vegas. Carson, still stammering from nervousness and shock, called Buddy to tell him the story. In spite of having his own close encounter, however, Carson was never amenable to talking about UFOs on the air.*
Old 12-14-2018, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

Absolutely fascinating. Thanks for the post.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

So does it make a difference that a superstar of Buddy's stature believed vs. the little old lady "down the street"?
Old 12-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Really great post, I enjoyed that and glad she made that tribute video for her Dad.
Here's a fun little thing he did for the Dick Clark Christmas special. It's hard to believe it was 40 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW8557KMFwc