DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:48 AM

Default Foot technique

I suck at hitting the bassdrum i feel like theres anconstant struggle between space with my right hand and left foot (lefty). Even without my right hand playing the snare my left foot just sucks. I don’t know how to get it better. There are times where i ‘feel’ it but mostly in my last practice jam session i just don't.

How do you do heal up or heal down i dont even know what techniques to practice.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:34 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Foot technique

https://hudsonmusic.com/product/secret-weapons-2/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxoms7LsXDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh8jq3T3w6w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RshbrXtbo0Y
Old 08-08-2018, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Construct your own exercises to practice whatever it is that you are trying to do.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Practice, practice, and more practice. Your feet will get there. There is no magic bullet, unless it's name is practice.

Look at your feet while sitting at your kit. Not playing, just sitting. Are your feet directly under you? Are they under your knees? Are they out in front of you? Also, can you pick up your feet and comfortably maintain balance on your throne? If not, your seat position needs to be adjusted.

If they are directly under YOU, you are too close to your kick. Your feet don't work that way.

If they are under (in line with) your knees, you are in heel up position. Lots of leg and ankle action is available in this position. This position is also TERRIBLE for heel down, your feet don't work that way.

If they are out in front of you, this is the ideal heel down position. In this position, your ankle acts like a hinge and is very susceptible to pushing or rocking with the calves.

You can analyze your foot motion just sitting in a chair with your feet on the floor. When you tap your foot to a song, how do you do it? Your natural reaction should be the one you mimic behind the kit. It's all ergonomics, you just need to listen to your body and use what it already wants to do.

Again, keep practicing. My feet were more uncoordinated than my hands when I started. After 27 years, I wish my hands would get with my feet and maybe learn something.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:59 AM
Platinum Member

Get to know your kick pedal (and hi hat pedal)-get down on ground and mess with it a bit. It should swing freely when you pull back beater with finger (lots of play and swing back and forth a bit)-I like a fairly loose spring. Now take your finger and put on pedal and try playing a tune on it till you find the sweet spot where it's pretty easy to play anything you like-once you find it it's ridiculous how easy it is to play. Now sit up on throne and use that reference spot on your pedal to figure out what feels good working with it. Try lifting your leg and use your big toe to play that sweet spot-it's surprising how agile it is-course you can't do that forever. I usually move my heel back so toes on sweet spot to play heel toe for playing easy stuff and move my leg and heel up for heel toe if I need more finesse. Now there are all kinds of ways people noodle with that sweet spot to get an extra beat or dribble it-lots of videos you can watch.
Play paradiddles with hands on snare and coincide with feet= hi hat and kick (you want to get that hi hat going too). I also like to play Bolero and William Tell Overture on kick-you get lots of triplets with a catchy tune (I always say this but I think people think it's daft). You may also need to adjust your batter head so it feels good and you can dribble the beater on it and feather it. It takes practice but I'm telling you check out and get to know your pedal. It's a lot easier if you let the pedal do the work.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:36 AM
Platinum Member

Getting to know your pedal. A lot of good information in that statement. It takes a lot of time to learn how to play like you want to. Make sure that you're putting in a lot of practice time and try different things but it all takes time. You will never really arrive to that point where you can play like you want to because the way you want to be able to play changes as time goes on and you're always striving for something better on the kit. Just keep at it
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikebongo View Post
I suck at hitting the bassdrum i feel like theres anconstant struggle between space with my right hand and left foot (lefty). ...
Sounds like a coordination/reading problem. Can you read?, because your description of the problem seems you canīt. If you canīt (or can barealy) you are in trouble (in all areas).
Old 08-09-2018, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

I am very left handed and very right footed. I naturally use my right foot to kick a ball. Which foot do you use to do other things? If your left foot is not getting any better with practice, try using your right foot. Good luck. Peace and goodwill.