DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Silver Member

Default Drumming Injuries?

Over the many decades of drumming I have had a few injuries due to my playing. I have read lately an article by Mr. Peart about himself and other drummers suffering from injured rotor cup's due do drumming. I myself am starting to have some slight pain in this shoulder area as well and was wondering how many more of us injured drummers are out there?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Drumming Injuries?

one time at a show i dropped a stick and it skittered all over the drums and i spazzed out trying to catch it. and just from the way i moved while still trying to play i whiplashed my own neck and i still had 10 more shows to go.so it didnt heal for about 3 months or so and it still bothers me years later on cold days.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Silver Member

I don't believe I have really incurred any injuries from drumming, other than a bruised ego every now and then. Although, I have injured myself (skiing for instance)...dislocated both my shoulders at the same time. Had the right one surgically repaired. Been a long while since then, but I still get some serious pain late into deep sets or high energy songs. I have to be aware of how I write so I can stay balanced through sets so as not to wreck myself while playing.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the response. I have even read that over years of drumming the sudden stop motion in the hands and limbs can cause trouble in joints over time.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Every now and then I seem to smack myself on the corner of the eye with my stick. That hurts like a mutha. Also, you can't forget about the "ole' tip of the stick in the eye" injury. Thats always a goodie. Oh, here is another one. How about the "destroy your index finger on the rim of the snare on the down stroke"... @$%#&! OUCH!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:49 PM
fourstringdrums

I've smashed myself across the bridge of the nose before with a stick.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I've smashed myself across the bridge of the nose before with a stick.
Now thats a winner right there Rob... congrats.. lol.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Pioneer Member

I have hit my eye with my stick on several occasions. Hasnt happened in a while though. Latley i have been playing so much some of the skin has been getting really raw. Stings a little bit, maybe i should play less until i get caloces or however you spell it.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

You guys are to much. Great story's and yes the old stick to the eye. That should be a new thread called "Drumming with safety glasses". Thanks again gentlemen.

Last edited by Sirwill; 12-11-2007 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Bad spelling (Sorry)
Old 12-11-2007, 03:08 AM
Administrator - Mayor

The shoulder or rotator cuff problem can be solved sometimes by adjusting the angle and height of the ride cymbal. I was getting numb fingers when I started playing again 18 months ago, and I know I am an old dude, but try adjusting the setup and see if it helps. I made my lower and it helped over night. Evidently a nerve in my shoulder didn't like what I was doing and it caused my fingers some grief.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:34 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the tip on the ride!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member

I have had shoulder and back pain before but from marching snare drum, not from drumset. Those harnesses can really kill you, but it always to stretch and stay in shape. I still have to work on that second one...
Old 12-11-2007, 04:07 AM

I have a case of turf toe from playing shoe less.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:36 AM

I used to cut my fingers occasionally when choking cymbals in my punk band in high school, the risk of metallic infection concerned me at first but then I realized most everyone in the crowd had various appendages pierced by metal anyways, by choice!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

I've had at least one of everything listed. Poked the eye, braised the nose a few times, straight up beasted the side of my face (a little too much to drink that night), smashed the left index finger on a rim countless times, caught a fingernail on a cymbal-squelch a couple times...yeah...all are painfull.

To piggyback Gruntersdad...I changed my ride position to where it was clocked more in front of me (just forward of the 1st position floor tom, or in place of the lowest rack tom...however you'd see it). Either way, playing it there took a little of the stress off my right shoulder. Wont ever seem to go away for good though...
Old 12-11-2007, 01:31 PM
nhzoso

Just recently I smashed my left thumb knuckle with the right hand stick... Damn that hurts. More reason to learn open handed.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:11 PM

Nice injuries! I've definintely smacked myself in the face when I first started doing the freestroke and the moeller technique. But the only the major injury I've had is to my right leg (did it about a month ago), I've started getting pains around my knee which I hope is just shin splints, but I'm getting it checked out tomorrow so fingers crossed that it is something simple!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

Killer injury's I must say. I have spent the last two years learning to play the old cross over hand style (To help develop my right hand for the ride cymbal) and I'm glad I normally play open handed because with the cross over style I have hit my left thumb too many times.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 AM

Yer had all the facial injuries listed here.But when i was first starting out i liked my ride really low next to my floor tom. so havin a jam with a mate one night"crack" broke my pinky finger while trying to crash the ride can laugh now but horrible at the time. Also had a mate whoo chipped his tooth while playing live and kept on going after the song ends he realises the damage he's done to his front tooth.Will never forget the look on his face .1 of the funniest thing i think i've ever seen.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:25 PM

of course everyone's had the occasional finger smashed on the rim of the stick, stick in the face, or what ever common injury on the drums.
but you really know you've done something stupid when you start getting major injuries
first off, I have developed moderate tendinitis due to bad technique I used to play with
but I think the worst thing and most current thing to happen to me was, a few weeks ago after acting really stupid behind the set, I started to get a slight ache and pain in my left leg. well I thought I just thought it was maybe a pulled muscle or something not too severe so I didn't do anything about it.
but yesterday, when I was getting a sports physical, the doctor told me that I have a hernia and I'm gonna need surgery on it soon since it's starting to get in the way of my life (sitting for long periods of time bothers me and playing on a crappy drum throne really hurts).
yeah so acting stupid behind a drum set and/or playing with bad technique can really cause problems...
Old 04-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

i had a terrible problem with rotator cuff pain in my right shoulder a couple years ago caused by drumming. it was so bad i almost had to quit. it was messing up other things i like to do too, like surfing. i finally managed to get the problem under control by doing a couple things. the first thing i did was to work with my drum teacher to develop a more relaxed and flowing style of playing. apparently, i was playing with too much stiffness and that was hurting my shoulder. not only does my shoulder feel a lot better, but i play better too and i don't get as tired. another thing i did was to do stretching exercises recommended by my doctor. he has me stretching my arm upward while holding it against a wall. that helps too. the problem hasn't gone away completely, but it's way better than it was before.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

I get shin splints in my left shin from playing the hi-hat too much. It only flares up when i'm playing ALOT. Last time it happened I played 11 shows in 10 days (4 hour shows except for one 1 hour set).

I can usually avoid it by stretching and wrapping my shin with athletic tape.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRush View Post
a few weeks ago after acting really stupid behind the set, I started to get a slight ache and pain in my left leg. well I thought I just thought it was maybe a pulled muscle or something not too severe so I didn't do anything about it.
but yesterday, when I was getting a sports physical, the doctor told me that I have a hernia and I'm gonna need surgery on it soon since it's starting to get in the way of my life (sitting for long periods of time bothers me and playing on a crappy drum throne really hurts).
Thats AWESOME! You must have really been straining back there to give yourself a hernia. I bow down to you sir!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwill View Post
Over the many decades of drumming I have had a few injuries due to my playing. I have read lately an article by Mr. Peart about himself and other drummers suffering from injured rotor cup's due do drumming. I myself am starting to have some slight pain in this shoulder area as well and was wondering how many more of us injured drummers are out there?
I suspect that some of his problem might be from having his cymbals far away from him and so high up it looks like he is hitting a tennis ball. I haven't seen his set or him play for years so I don't know how he is doing it nowadays. People have given pretty good advice in the thread to have your cymbals/drums positioned in such a way that you can play completely relaxed and with everything within easy reach. Best of luck.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

I'm always hitting myself in the ears with a stick (don't know how that happens) and once I choked a cymbal and it got under my fingernail and sliced it so bad. It cut it underneath the fingernail and I couldn't do anything about it because the nail was in the way :(
Old 04-15-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average View Post
Thats AWESOME! You must have really been straining back there to give yourself a hernia. I bow down to you sir!
oh believe me, it is not something to look up to!
haha
Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

I've partially dislocated my shoulder a few times (not drumming), which drumming can really aggravate. This tends to cause me a lot of wrist pain. I suppose just quitting drumming would solve some of this, but I won't give it up.

I have worked on changing how I play, and playing lighter, lighter cymbals, etc, which has helped.

Although I can't solely blame drumming. Yard work, too much time on a computer and sitting for long periods of time can also aggravate the same injuries.

Mineral supplements, chiropractors and such help, and I've managed to go long periods of time pain free, but it always seems to make it come back.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwill View Post
Well I developed carpal tunnel issues- and they show up around the third day after back to back gigs- I wake up with claw fingers on my right hand and left....have to have the steriod injections again soon! An operation was mentioned- but with the risk of nerve damage and 2 weeks to recover- I declined...........I cant stop playing, its a living!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Gold Member

This is an older thread but I have been searching to see if anyone else has this injury problem. I find during extensive practice I cut little cuts on my right index finger. I went back and reviewed Dave Weckl's grip and stroke video and notice I probably could benefit from using my middle finger more. These cuts are a little more than a paper cut and I think they happen just from friction, kind of tearing the skin. Used a bandaid and coaches tape over that and I can play just fine with it. Any one else get these little cuts?

Also many many years ago I had a monster vistalite set and positioned my cymbals very high. Loved the look and since I sang it made it easier for me to be seen between the cymbals and toms. I had a really bad bout of rotator cuff issues. Now I position everything as close as possible. Last week I noticed going to my ride on the far right of my kit was causing my right shoulder to open up too far for the extended time on the ride. So I switched it with my larger less used crash and positioned it just above my first tom. Much less stress on the shoulder.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

The first time I recorded my playing with a click, I bruised my ego.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

"The first time I recorded my playing with a click, I bruised my ego."

ha, that happens almost everytime I record myself!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:44 PM

I got part of a broken stick stuck in my leg once. I have also hit myself in the face a few times.
Axis AL2 Longboard double pedal
DW 9002
Old 05-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
Ha ha ha.

I don't know about drumming injuries, but in the musical, Into The Woods, Jack's father was supposedly killed in a baking accident. He was really done in by the Witch. Just sayin'.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
This was just about to happen to me quite severely, until I realized the computer was actually lagging and playing the clicks unevenly... haha. I was starting to get seriously worried when I couldn't keep time just playing the snare on 1 and 3... Well, with a functional metronome things still weren't as easy as I'd thought it would be, practicing with a click has improoved my feel tremendously!

Banging the snare with your left hand nuckles has happened to me a few times... Once a stick snapped while hitting the 10" right in front of me, and the top piece bounced back and hit me in the forehead leaving a small bruise. :)
Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

When I was.in high school marching band, we were walking down icy bleachers to take he field. I slipped.and my snare flew up.and hit me in the temple. It took 8 stitches to.fix.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:52 AM

Hey guys!
I dealt with a serious tendonitis injury a few years back. I almost thought I'd never get to play again. But, luckily, through a lot of research and lifestyle changes, I over came it. Massage therapy, fixing my technique, and a proper diet all contributed to recovery.
There is a new website that is starting to address a lot of similar stuff that I learned on my journey to recovery. Check it out!

www.DrumerHealth.com

Happy Playing!
Old 04-19-2015, 07:40 AM

I've definitely felt it in my right shoulder the last couple of practices. Not looking forward to all this aging business.

The worst injury during a gig was when I split a stick, flipped it around instead of grabbing a new on and then pinched myself in the split. Twice.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average View Post
I suspect that some of his problem might be from having his cymbals far away from him and so high up it looks like he is hitting a tennis ball. I haven't seen his set or him play for years so I don't know how he is doing it nowadays. People have given pretty good advice in the thread to have your cymbals/drums positioned in such a way that you can play completely relaxed and with everything within easy reach. Best of luck.
I'd bet on technique. His slouch rounds his shoulders and puts extra strain on his rotator cuff when he tries to lift his arms. He'd be so much better if he just sat up. Its easy to see bow much he slouches from his overhead shots! He's head is at least 4 inches forward of where it should be. If he sat up, his arms could reach that high without issue. Sitting up would take a lot of the pressure off his legs, too. He's gotta be working really hard to play for that long.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:29 PM

I hit the same knuckle over and over on the snare of a kit that doesn't belong to me. I guess it was the height difference. I'm pretty positive I broke the knuckle at some point. It hurt for at least 6 weeks. I noticed more injuries to my hands recently but I think it had to do with winter dryness. It seems to have stopped.

I hit myself in the ear once in a while when I'm really getting into it. It gets all warm and turns red. Looks pretty rock n roll.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

I broke a finger nail whilst erecting my ride stand. It was my pinky finger too, the one I use as a nose trowel. On my next insertion the sharp edge scraped my nasal orifice and drew blood. Can I claim compensation for a blood injury?

:)