DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:33 AM

Default Best earphones for drum covers and recording

I'm gonna be doing some recording with my band soon and probably some drum covers on the side.

What's the best pair of ear buds or in-ear monitors (is that the right tearm?) I could get for under $150?

I have (or ratther, my dad has) a pretty nice pair of Sony studio headphones. But, I prefer in-ears much much better. However the only pair of "in-ears" I own are 20 buck SkullCandys from Target :0

Thanks for the help :D

Jacob
Old 06-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Best earphones for drum covers and recording

I'll tell you the best thing I've ever used for that.

You already have half of what you need. You can use those Skull Candy earbuds, given that they're the in-ear isolation type.

Now, get a pair of Peltor earmuffs. You can get them at most hardware stores, or online for about $15. Or Guitar Center sells a pair of the same Peltors, but with a Vic Firth logo on them, for around $30-$40, if the logo means anything to you. They have no speakers, you just wear them over your ears to cancel sound.

Now, put those Skull Candies in, and put your Peltors on over top. You'll be able to listen to the music quietly, as to not damage your hearing, and you'll be able to hear your drums clearly, as you have two layers of isolation. I've actually had to turn the music down while I was playing, because it, only being at a medium volume, was drowning out my drums.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 AM

Shure SE215's. Good sound quality and great isolation for $100 at Guitar Center. I absolutely love mine. I use them at my church, playing with my band, jamming by myself, and listening to music while mowing my giant yard, lol.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
Shure SE215's. Good sound quality and great isolation for $100 at Guitar Center. I absolutely love mine. I use them at my church, playing with my band, jamming by myself, and listening to music while mowing my giant yard, lol.
+1 on these. If you can manage it, the SE315, for $199 is a big improvement over the SE215's as well. I use the SE315's for my gig at work and love them.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM

I love my audio technica AHM-50's. They aren't ear buds but man are they fantastic! Frequency is flat so you here everything. It will literally make you appreciate music and you will catch every nuance on the recording. They cost around $150 usd and can find them at musicians friend, Sweetwater, GC or any other dealer out there.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 PM

Columbia, your method is definetely cost efficient and I'll be sure to try it out!

Dizzle, those Shures are perfect for what I'm looking for! I'm gonna definetely try to pick up a pair of those
Old 06-20-2013, 02:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
+2 I use SE 215's and they are pretty comfortable and they Isolate well too .
Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TColumbia37 View Post

Now, get a pair of Peltor earmuffs. You can get them at most hardware stores, or online for about $15. Or Guitar Center sells a pair of the same Peltors, but with a Vic Firth logo on them, for around $30-$40, if the logo means anything to you. They have no speakers, you just wear them over your ears to cancel sound.

Now, put those Skull Candies in, and put your Peltors on over top. You'll be able to listen to the music quietly, as to not damage your hearing, and you'll be able to hear your drums clearly, as you have two layers of isolation.
This is also the setup I use when doing drum covers but I use the Apple earbuds and
a $3 earmuff.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 AM

Klipsch s4's...Amazing earbuds that isolate and have amazing sound. You can find them under $80 online, and sound as good as a $300+ headphone.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightraider43 View Post
I love my audio technica AHM-50's. They aren't ear buds but man are they fantastic! Frequency is flat so you here everything. It will literally make you appreciate music and you will catch every nuance on the recording. They cost around $150 usd and can find them at musicians friend, Sweetwater, GC or any other dealer out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robthedrummer View Post
Klipsch s4's...Amazing earbuds that isolate and have amazing sound. You can find them under $80 online, and sound as good as a $300+ headphone.
Btw... amazing suggestions here. I will definitely check them out when I buy a new one. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:40 PM

The RHA MA750 and Yamaha EPH-100 are good options. These are among the best earbuds under $150
Old 02-18-2014, 08:27 PM

Another vote for the Shure SE215. I have had them about a year and they are amazing. Great isolation, great sound quality. I had used the Vic Firth headphones before and never really thought they were anything special. The Shure SE215 I would highly recommend.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:56 AM

Glad someone asked this cause I had the same question.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:32 AM
Gold Member

If your budget doubles, take a look at the Etymotic ER4 series. Awesome earphones.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

With the Shures you can graduate to full on IEMs. Sensaphonics makes molds that the Shures plug into that are the same as their ER plugs and high end IEMs. Guaranteed to stay in and seal well enough that the bass doesn't drop out at some point.

The alternative if you already have and use some sort of ER plugs or Hearasers (for recording at least) are AKG K240 headphones. I just grabbed a pair from GC for $95. Pro level cans that sound great and let natural ambient sound in. They attenuate a bit but I wouldn't use them for ear protection. Maybe 3-4dB. Not as complete open as my Grados but they work great for tracking guitar as well if I don't have it too loud. The Sony MRD7506 isolate, and I use them for live sound work or when I need to isolate someone while recording, but they don't sound as good as the Grados or AKGs. The Sony's have a forward midrange, reminiscent of JBL speakers. Good to check mixes and make sure you don't have too much reverb or something. But I think the AKGs will be my new basic reference. I remember them from the '70s as being good. A buddy's studio where he does a bunch of live band recording (everyone at the same time) uses them so the musicians feel like a band but can still hear clicks and previous tracks.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:49 AM

hey chaps!

here is a VERY cheap and great way to make any earphones you have into isolation phones!

http://imgur.com/a/ccvbr

very clever, i have done this and used them for drums, mowing, etc...