DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:43 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default My apologies

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to touch base with everyone here to explain my absence here since the London thing. Everything is fine, I just took a break. My trip went silky smooth with no hassles at all.

It was weird, when I got back from London, after being disconnected with virtually no internet for a week, I really had no desire to get back online right away. I knew this would be temporary, and I usually obey what my inner self tells me. Still, I felt so guilty the whole time, like I was dissing my friends. So again, I apologize. I was a bit swamped with a backlog of work and a bunch of gigs I had to do. Plus I got sick, that's finally going away, and I cut my finger open pretty bad on sheet metal the first day back to work. (cue violins)

I had a fabulous time in London. Of course the best part was meeting Henri, Grea, Andy, Duncan, David, Dean, Ben, Madge, Mr. Madge (Glen) (Dazzlez and Juniper, my apologies for not realizing you guys were there DOH!) And since I'm apologizing, sorry for being jet lagged on Sunday. I missed most of Sunday at the LDS, my body wouldn't let me get up.

I'd like to personally thank all the good people above for making my first trip overseas an unforgettable event.
When I came back, I had so much stimuli from being there that I felt paralyzed trying to describe it. So I took a little break. I'm sorry but I had to process everything before I could comment on anything. So much information, I needed time to assimilate it all.

What a great bunch of people. Truly, a highlight of my life. Thank you all. I was very impressed with Duncan and Ben. These young men are very well informed about the current political and economic state of things...much more than their Yankee counterparts...at least that was my impression. American 20 somethings, at least in my world, are much less socially aware it seems. That impressed me. Henri is a total gentleman, and so supportive of the people around him. And I liked what he was drinking, he ordered a drink called a bitter chandy (sp?) It's like half lemonade, half beer. Very tasty. Andy is just a gem of a human being, and could be the hardest worker I ever met. I can't say enough good things about him except that there's nothing he can do to get him off my "most respected" list of people. Grea was a total joy, we spent probably the most time together as we stayed in the same hotel. I'm sorry she was in such physical discomfort the whole time. Travelling is hard work! David, I enjoyed your company immensely, another really conscientious and devilishly handsome young man, and I so envy you being asked by YOLANDA to play in Germany with her. Way to go! Dean is a very salt of the earth type guy and it was a pleasure picking his brain about dealing with steam bending wood and various other wood related topics. Madge, you're a sweetheart and your husband is a very positive person. I enjoyed talking to him about the uselessness, and the grand tradition, of the monarchy lol.

There's so much more to report...I'll do it in other posts, because the really long posts just get to be too much.

I owe you guys some Guru pics and recordings, another thing that paralyzed me. I just had so much to do when I returned. I'm no Andy Crosby that's for sure. My life is getting back to normal it seems and I will get those out as soon as I can.

What a trip. Wow. My mind has been broadened. More later. Good to be back.

Last edited by larryace; 11-03-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My apologies

Good to have you back Larry.Too bad about getting sick and your finger.

I hope you saw some of the sights in London,it's a beautiful and historic city.

As I assumed,the people you mentioned are just the epitome of class,and I'm sure everyone had a great time..

Wish I could have been there.:)

Steve B .
Old 11-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'm no Andy Crosby that's for sure.
Appearances can be deceptive Larry. As I type this, I too have been unwell. The last 6 weeks or so have really taken their toll. LDS screwed me over, as one of a long string of strength (both mental & physical) sapping events. Since then, I've been doing a ton of stuff too. More travelling, snare video/recording sessions, not to mention a wall of other work. I gigged last night, & today, there's not a part of me that's not exhausted. I really need to dial it back.

I so much enjoyed your company in London Larry. I'd love to have had more Larry - Andy time without the pressure of surrounding schedule. Maybe next time, maybe at your East coast meet up :)

Steve, got to get to meet you someday too. Life's way too short to include "one day"!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Glad to have you back and thanks for the wonderful update. I hope you're recovering from all of your ailments and injuries. Looking forward to meeting you and hopefully some of these other wonderful people next fall!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:40 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Good to have you back Larry.Too bad about getting sick and your finger.

I hope you saw some of the sights in London,it's a beautiful and historic city.

As I assumed,the people you mentioned are just the epitome of class,and I'm sure everyone had a great time..

Wish I could have been there.:)

Steve B .
Thanks Steve. Yes London was a real treat. No wood framing in London, it's all masonry. I got to see a small portion of the Tower of London, but that was friggin cool. I'd like to thank Duncan, he showed Grea and I around after Andy, Henri and David left. Ben and Dean were already departed at that point. The people in London were very friendly to me. London seems like a more personal town than I am used to here in the States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Appearances can be deceptive Larry. As I type this, I too have been unwell. The last 6 weeks or so have really taken their toll. LDS screwed me over, as one of a long string of strength (both mental & physical) sapping events. Since then, I've been doing a ton of stuff too. More travelling, snare video/recording sessions, not to mention a wall of other work. I gigged last night, & today, there's not a part of me that's not exhausted. I really need to dial it back.

I so much enjoyed your company in London Larry. I'd love to have had more Larry - Andy time without the pressure of surrounding schedule. Maybe next time, maybe at your East coast meet up :)

Steve, got to get to meet you someday too. Life's way too short to include "one day"!
Andy at the pace you go, it's no wonder it is catching up to you. Sorry you're feeling unwell. Dialing it back...good on paper, but knowing you, not bloody likely roight? You sir are an inspiration. It was great to finally meet you. You were understandably consumed with the show, you had a lot to do, but the time we did get to spend together was a real treat. Thank you for the dinners and the admission to the Tower of London and your conversation. What a generous guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Glad to have you back and thanks for the wonderful update. I hope you're recovering from all of your ailments and injuries. Looking forward to meeting you and hopefully some of these other wonderful people next fall!
Glad to be back Mary. I am very much looking forward to being in your company at my jam-bouree next summer. Speaking of which, I want to pick a date in January. I would love it if I could get a date where Bo and Steve B. and (fingers crossed) Andy could make it. I mean there are so many members here I am looking forward to meeting and hanging with. Anyone on the East Coast....I sincerely hope you can make it.

Feeling all warm and fuzzy about you guys. Meeting the crew in London really made me realize what an exceptional group of people we have here. Thank you all again.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Administrator - Mayor

There is certainly no need to apologize for taking a break. When you are here day after day a break is a good thing. Like taking time off from work. Something to break the routine. I know I was very envious of your trip, and just be glad you had the time and resources to do it. Trips like that will take their toll and even more so as we get older. Relax, Heal, and Welcome back.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Welcome back Uncle Larry, I missed you...

First off, no need for apologies watsoever...

Quote:
...sorry for being jet lagged on Sunday. I missed most of Sunday at the LDS...
Ah! Yes, but... you were there on the Sunday morning with a genius idea to bring back the "cappucino" to the LDS from your hotel room under a rainy Kensington High Street, you saved us a lot of hassle and effort, bless you man...

However, the truth is... you were not suffering from jet lag at all, that's BS... you simply didn't wanted to have an interview with Drum Magazine... pfff, you shy guy... :)

Quote:
Truly, a highlight of my life...
Ditto here, meeting you Larry and all the members is a dream come true... I just wish it lasted longer, maybe we'll meet another time... who knows :)

Quote:
I liked what he was drinking, he ordered a drink called a bitter chandy (sp?) It's like half lemonade, half beer. Very tasty...
Glad you liked it (and Grea too)... it's a cool drink if you have to drink a lot (you'll remain sober a little longer, haha) and it's very refreshing too :)

It's called "Bitter Shandy".

Quote:
I so envy you being asked by YOLANDA to play in Germany with her...
I'm so jealous too, but heck, the man deserve it, such an impressive player, there was no single bit of drumming by David I didn't enjoyed immensely throughout the show... and he's only 21 years old.

Quote:
There's so much more to report...I'll do it in other posts...
I owe you guys some Guru pics and recordings...
Looking forward for your posts/threads Larry, I can't wait... :)

Last edited by Mad About Drums; 11-04-2013 at 01:14 AM. Reason: spelliiiinnnggg!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:14 PM

Not been on for a while myself Larry, but its good to know you're still here and enjoyed Blighty.

Meat.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:02 AM
Renegade

Andy, yes, you really need to switch the dial from "Impossible" to something more mellow, like "Frenetic".

Glad all's well, Larry. Was about to send you an email. I tend to baulk at saying things about others the way you do because it would feel like I was applying judgements but somehow you can get away with it. I agreed with them all too!

It's true, I was actually ready to go home about before even going to London. Would be great to meet you guys again (especially when not shattered) but it's a long flight :(

Larry, this might bring back a few memories ... you and Ben having a drum nerd discussion at the table, including you drumming on the menu ... our escape from the noise of the convention to do a tourist walk and a quiet cup of English tea ... all the gear and people piled into your room with Duncan being drunk and rowdy lol ... ghostly and supernatural tales at the Olympia bar ... your unassuming bluesy second line pattern that was barely audible under the thunder of the chopfest going on around you ... hiding from the underground crowds at a cafe (with a young waitress you and Duncan fancied) ... tinfoil hat talk over a traditional British pub lunch ... and, of course, stringing you along with my impersonation of a British hotel receptionist ... "... there's a gentleman calling himself Bacterium or somesuch nonsense" :)

And yeah, we missed out on the interview ... finally after all these years we had the chance to be interviewed by a drumming magazine and we missed the boat lol
Old 11-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Madge, you're a sweetheart and your husband is a very positive person. I enjoyed talking to him about the uselessness, and the grand tradition, of the monarchy lol.
A sweetheart? Well, it takes one to know one, my dear! Glyn really enjoyed talking to you too.

Meeting everybody was fab. I know I've only been on DW for a few months but I felt as if I was with friends I'd known for ages.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 11-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Grea, I wasn't that drunk (I'm sad to say).

Larry, you know I think you're a top bloke. It was an absolute bloody pleasure meeting you, Grea, Madge, Andy, David, Henri (apologies for those I've missed off - it's not personal. I'm getting older and my memory has gone to pot).

Thanks for your company.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome back and take your time to recoup and return. What you did was a major undertaking.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Dunc, while it's true that I was, and am, in no position to speak authoritatively about your subjective mental states, and therefore the source of any alleged boisterous and loud behaviour which may or may not have been noticed by the temporary residents of the Olympia around midnight, I do have some evidence of "horseplay" ....

Edit: hmm, your eyes do look clear in that shot. You were bloody noisy, though :)
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

'Bloody noisy' just about sums me up. You haven't heard my valve amp...
Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Renegade

Sounds like our keyboardist's amp, which I suspect was built in mediaeval times.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
. You were bloody noisy, though :)
At which end?

On second thoughts, don't answer that.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

I forgive you Larry. If you let it happen again, though, I will end you and burn down everything in your life, then use your blood for a slip-n-slide instead of water.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I forgive you Larry. If you let it happen again, though, I will end you and burn down everything in your life, then use your blood for a slip-n-slide instead of water.
Just spare the Guru's. It isn't their fault!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:22 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Welcome back Uncle Larry, I missed you...

First off, no need for apologies watsoever...

Ah! Yes, but... you were there on the Sunday morning with a genius idea to bring back the "cappucino" to the LDS from your hotel room under a rainy Kensington High Street, you saved us a lot of hassle and effort, bless you man...

However, the truth is... you were not suffering from jet lag at all, that's BS... you simply didn't wanted to have an interview with Drum Magazine... pfff, you shy guy... :)

Ditto here, meeting you Larry and all the members is a dream come true... I just wish it lasted longer, maybe we'll meet another time... who knows :)

Glad you liked it (and Grea too)... it's a cool drink if you have to drink a lot (you'll remain sober a little longer, haha) and it's very refreshing too :)

It's called "Bitter Shandy".

I'm so jealous too, but heck, the man deserve it, such an impressive player, there was no single bit of drumming by David I didn't enjoyed immensely throughout the show... and he's only 21 years old.

Looking forward for your posts/threads Larry, I can't wait... :)
I see what you did there ;) Can't argue with you about the genius thing either lol. TBH, I forgot about the interview completely. I was there by 3: 30 I think. I thought it was at 4. I feel like such a tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Andy, yes, you really need to switch the dial from "Impossible" to something more mellow, like "Frenetic".

Glad all's well, Larry. Was about to send you an email. I tend to baulk at saying things about others the way you do because it would feel like I was applying judgements but somehow you can get away with it. I agreed with them all too!

It's true, I was actually ready to go home about before even going to London. Would be great to meet you guys again (especially when not shattered) but it's a long flight :(

Larry, this might bring back a few memories ... you and Ben having a drum nerd discussion at the table, including you drumming on the menu ... our escape from the noise of the convention to do a tourist walk and a quiet cup of English tea ... all the gear and people piled into your room with Duncan being drunk and rowdy lol ... ghostly and supernatural tales at the Olympia bar ... your unassuming bluesy second line pattern that was barely audible under the thunder of the chopfest going on around you ... hiding from the underground crowds at a cafe (with a young waitress you and Duncan fancied) ... tinfoil hat talk over a traditional British pub lunch ... and, of course, stringing you along with my impersonation of a British hotel receptionist ... "... there's a gentleman calling himself Bacterium or somesuch nonsense" :)

And yeah, we missed out on the interview ... finally after all these years we had the chance to be interviewed by a drumming magazine and we missed the boat lol
Thanks for the memory jog Anon. It's almost as if it was one giant experience instead of a bunch of little ones. But yes escaping the noise and going for tea and a nice walk was quite enjoyable. Andy's last minute connection to get the cappuchino kit over to that bar to hear Yolanda and her crew play was cool too. Very crowded there. Then going for dinner yummy. Then back to the jam but they were kind of done. And the late night load in at my room. Anon, could you hear me playing at night? JK, I crashed after that and couldn't get up. Except when everybody came to my room at 9AM for the load in to the LDS in the rain. To understand better, the hotel was 2 blocks from the venue and we had all this drum gear to shlep in the rain, so I commandeered one of those brass hotel luggage dollies from the concierge. I tipped him 20 lbs because it saved a ton of grief. So wheeled a hotel dolly full of Guru down the rainy London streets and got the stuff to the LDS. I needed to get back to bed lol so I went "home". Then I get a phone call at 2 in the afternoon in a believable English accent. It was Anon pretending to be the girl at the front desk. She was saying she has a "Bacterium Fend Yoke" here...I totally believed that Duncan was behind this. That cute little waitress bird got on my good side straight away by saying what a happy man I appeared to be. I mean I was on carnaby street with Anon and Duncan...how could I not be happy....Got a taste of the tube at rush hour, yikes.

The Tower of London was bad to the bone. I wish I had more time there. After buying some souvenirs, for my peeps, I got to see the British museum on Tuesday, by myself, after everyone had left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
A sweetheart? Well, it takes one to know one, my dear! Glyn really enjoyed talking to you too.

Meeting everybody was fab. I know I've only been on DW for a few months but I felt as if I was with friends I'd known for ages.
I know what you mean Madge. It was all very easy and enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post

Larry, you know I think you're a top bloke. It was an absolute bloody pleasure meeting you, Grea, Madge, Andy, David, Henri (apologies for those I've missed off - it's not personal. I'm getting older and my memory has gone to pot).

Thanks for your company.
Getting older, yea right....I think I'll miss you most scarecrow....really enjoyed your company. Top bloke. I like that. You're a top bloke too you furry Englishman!

I got nice pair of Istanbul "Radiant" 14" hi hats for 95 GBP at the LDS (about $153.00 USD) That's a fantastic price. There's no place around me to hear Istanbuls. So I jumped on them.

One of Andy's drum tech friends had some really great stories. I like his Ozzy story with the thick felt pad he stood on. (So it would absorb the pee as he pissed himself...then went on to put on an unbelievable performance)
Old 11-06-2013, 02:36 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
At which end?

On second thoughts, don't answer that.
It all depends on what Duncan was talking about.... :)