DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:44 PM

Default Does Budgie use a double bass pedal in Spellbound

I have been playing spellbound with our band but the repeated 8th notes every half bar in the chorus is not working out very well when put with all the other bits together.

Today I took my spare bass pedal and put it against the bass drum for my other foot and hey presto, it was easy and even sounding.

Were double pedals in use by 1981 and is it likely Budgie would have used one?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Does Budgie use a double bass pedal in Spelbound

Isn't it just all floor tom?
Old 11-01-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Isn't it just all floor tom?
No, it is hard to hear at first but the floor tom pretty much goes through the whole song, in the chorus he has the snare on quarter notes, floor tom on 8ths and the bass gives 2 quarters followed by 4 eight notes in each bar.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshees nut View Post
No, it is hard to hear at first but the floor tom pretty much goes through the whole song, in the chorus he has the snare on quarter notes, floor tom on 8ths and the bass gives 2 quarters followed by 4 eight notes in each bar.
Ah, you're right. Hard to hear at first.

In video, as the chorus ends, you see his right knee hoping up and down, in time with the 8ths, so I'd assume it's all single pedal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVTtF...etailpage#t=79

Double pedals did exist back then, but for the most part, they were rather crude compared to the double pedals that came out in the late 80's.

If Budgie owned one or not, I have no clue.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Ah, you're right. Hard to hear at first.

In video, as the chorus ends, you see his right knee hoping up and down, in time with the 8ths, so I'd assume it's all single pedal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVTtF...etailpage#t=79

Double pedals did exist back then, but for the most part, they were rather crude compared to the double pedals that came out in the late 80's.

If Budgie owned one or not, I have no clue.
Your right, he didn't use one, I have looked at some of the live videos too, his technique must be slightly better than mine......

I have tried heel toe but I can't get it to repeat the repeated 4 even enough, the only way I am managing to do it is to use my toe almost hopping on the pedal, the downside is I am bouncing on the stool and don't want an audience wetting themselves in laughter.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Does Budgie use a double bass pedal in Spellbound

I don't think Budgie ever used a double pedal. Is he not just playing the bass drum on beats 1, the an of 3 and the an of 4 in the chorus with the snare picking up beats 1, 2, 3, 4?

That's a great track by the way, I've always loved the Banshees
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last man to bat View Post
I don't think Budgie ever used a double pedal. Is he not just playing the bass drum on beats 1, the an of 3 and the an of 4 in the chorus with the snare picking up beats 1, 2, 3, 4?

That's a great track by the way, I've always loved the Banshees
No, its definately bass on 1, 2, 3an 4an, I spent ages listening to the 12" where there are no vocals in the middle, although what you suggested does give a similar effective sound.

We are lucky as a band, our guitarist is a McGeogh fan so he learnt spellbound really well, he makes some really nice sounds.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:48 AM

You may be right, I'm finding it difficult to hear. Its always a problem recreating studio sounds live, why not just stick a double pedal through the choruses if it makes it sound right.

McGeogh was a fantastic guitarist, the only other Banshee guitarist who came close was Jon Klein. Are you playing only Banshee material?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
You may be right, I'm finding it difficult to hear. Its always a problem recreating studio sounds live, why not just stick a double pedal through the choruses if it makes it sound right.

McGeogh was a fantastic guitarist, the only other Banshee guitarist who came close was Jon Klein. Are you playing only Banshee material?
I may consider using the double pedal but I will experiment at home to see if I can master it with a single pedal, just for my own challenge and devopment.

I am a massive Banshees fan, personally I also liked Carruthers guitar work on Tinderbox and I just finished learning the drum parts for this album-11 months after I bought the drumkit, quite pleased with myself although lands end took a bit of working out.

So far the band is just playing Banshees stuff, very early days for the band but some nice sounds coming after just three meets. If the band continues long term I would suspect that other stuff would start coming too as I am the only serious Banshee fan amongst us, but originally we met as a "Banshees" band, so just see how it goes.

I have drummed some other artists albums though, cozy powell in whitesnakes slide it in, bostons first self titled album and the three grace jones compass point albums, for some strange reason I find sly dunbars drumming in my Jamiacan guy quite difficultto maintain although it is not complex?

Anyway, I'm sure I have bored you now.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
I may consider using the double pedal but I will experiment at home to see if I can master it with a single pedal, just for my own challenge and devopment.

I am a massive Banshees fan, personally I also liked Carruthers guitar work on Tinderbox and I just finished learning the drum parts for this album-11 months after I bought the drumkit, quite pleased with myself although lands end took a bit of working out.

So far the band is just playing Banshees stuff, very early days for the band but some nice sounds coming after just three meets. If the band continues long term I would suspect that other stuff would start coming too as I am the only serious Banshee fan amongst us, but originally we met as a "Banshees" band, so just see how it goes.

I have drummed some other artists albums though, cozy powell in whitesnakes slide it in, bostons first self titled album and the three grace jones compass point albums, for some strange reason I find sly dunbars drumming in my Jamiacan guy quite difficultto maintain although it is not complex?

Anyway, I'm sure I have bored you now.
Not at all, its great to speak to another Banshees fan. I've never played any of their material but have always loved Budgie's style, its beacause of Budgie and I think it was probably his drumming on Spellbound that I started drumming in the first place, the open hi hats!

Land's End, I think I worked it out once myself, I might have another go at it tomorrow, thanks for reminding me of it.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

He's a great drummer, a big user of the "tribal Burundi drums sound" also used in some of the early Adam and the Ants tracks,

Here's an interesting article with more detail:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan1...racks-0113.htm
Old 11-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

I'm an absolute fan of his stuff, including a lot of the non-traditional approaches he took to percussion on the Creatures records. As far as I know, he never used a double pedal with Siouxsie.

Here's a great interview he did in Modern Drummer about the time of the first Creatures album, where he talks gear and stuff: http://www.vamp.org/Siouxsie/Text/drummer.html
Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Al, thanks for that link, great article. Is he still playing nowadays?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the links, in the interview I found this plus a Tama double kick on the one kick drum. So what I could do was swivel around and put my right foot on the left pedal of the double bass pedal,

I assume that refers to a double bass pedal?
Even if it does I can see from the footage he didn't use one originally on spellbound so I am going to persevere with the single pedal at home.

I first got into the Banshees as a teenager "through the looking glass" and Peepshow" were popular at the time, Siouxsie's delivery is just addictive, an amazing singer despite the fact that "technically" she is not great but I have always thought her expression and delivery is the astounding, and everytime I have seen them live in real life, she is fearless and the band (last tme was her new lot) are always flawless. Through this and then listening to Creatures definately expands your mind getting to know the sheer breadth of Budgie's drumming.

I have found drumming other stuff like whitesnake etc almost insticntive but I often have to work out patterns in Budgie's work.

Glad to hear there are other fans.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMNY View Post
Al, thanks for that link, great article. Is he still playing nowadays?
According to Wikipedia, he does play, although he and Siouxsie split up in 2007, and the Banshees were pretty much done well before that.
In 2009, Budgie toured Europe with Juno Reactor. Later that year, he also recorded drums for Jessie Evans's Is It Fire? album.
In 2010, Budgie teamed up with two other drummers, Leonard Eto and Mabi, plus multi-instrumentalist Knox Chandler and guitarist Sugizo, for a program called "The Butterfly Effect: East-West Percussive Parade." It was described as a "drumming extravaganza, featuring Western kit, Japanese taiko and African drums, that will launch the musicians into a new sonic galaxy!". The program's world première took place in Hong Kong in November 2010 as part of the New Vision Arts Festival. "The Butterfly Effect" featured improvised solos and ensemble works as well as new pieces and arrangements specially created for the festival, inspired by the pace, rhythm and character of Hong Kong.
In 2012, Budgie served as the drummer for Efterklang on their worldwide tour. They were accompanied by an orchestra. The premiere at the Opera House in Sydney was praised by Time Out. His last concert with Efterklang was in Brussels in November.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Interesting, thanks for checking.

enjoy the w/e
Old 11-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the links, in the interview I found this plus a Tama double kick on the one kick drum. So what I could do was swivel around and put my right foot on the left pedal of the double bass pedal,

I assume that refers to a double bass pedal?
Even if it does I can see from the footage he didn't use one originally on spellbound so I am going to persevere with the single pedal at home.
Yeah, good catch. But I'm almost certain that he was in the embryonic stage with the Banshees at the time of "Spellbound", and watching the vid, he's only got single bass going. He's got his Gretsch set by the time of that video, though, so none of the "thumpy pearl Set" to which he refers.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Yeah, good catch. But I'm almost certain that he was in the embryonic stage with the Banshees at the time of "Spellbound", and watching the vid, he's only got single bass going. He's got his Gretsch set by the time of that video, though, so none of the "thumpy pearl Set" to which he refers.
It doesn't matter what Kit I use, I'm pretty thumpy on them all lol
Old 11-02-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I'm an absolute fan of his stuff, including a lot of the non-traditional approaches he took to percussion on the Creatures records. As far as I know, he never used a double pedal with Siouxsie.

Here's a great interview he did in Modern Drummer about the time of the first Creatures album, where he talks gear and stuff: http://www.vamp.org/Siouxsie/Text/drummer.html
Thanks for the link, a really insightful interview. I learnt a lot form listening to Budgie
Old 11-05-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Not at all, its great to speak to another Banshees fan. I've never played any of their material but have always loved Budgie's style, its beacause of Budgie and I think it was probably his drumming on Spellbound that I started drumming in the first place, the open hi hats!

Land's End, I think I worked it out once myself, I might have another go at it tomorrow, thanks for reminding me of it.

Did you have a go of Land's end? One of my mates was here on Sunday so I asked him if he wanted to hear the Tinderbox album, he sat and listened to me drum the whole album! Must have been really boring.