DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM

Default Re: your throw off ....where is it?

Mine goes on the left side. That's just always where I've been comfortable with having it, even though I don't actually use it regularly. In fact, I never use it during a gig - typically just at home when I'm working on exercises.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Wow....has this thing blown up. :-)

I wonder what the really OCD players do with their drum head logos after their throw-off is adjusted to the "manufacturer recommended" position so the drum badge faces forward?

"Okay, badge facing forward...check. Throw-off in the right place...check. Uh-oh...head logo is at 2:00 now."

Would you reinstall the head?

I'm a little OCD in that I like my logos at around 12:00 but I'm not going to change anything in my setup to accomodate the advertising on my kit. My bass drum reso says "Ludwig" anyway. It's hard to miss.

Oh,and to answer the original question... My throw-off is around 8:30.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
113 responses (114 now) on a topic about the positioning of a snare drum doobielackey.

The Big Bang Theory Online.
I think more like "Sinfeld", the sitcom about nothing. BTW, I prefer to keep the badge facing towards me so I don't forget what kind of drums I am playing. :-)
Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
removing logos will not affect your playing physically the way the position of a throw will

and yeah....if someone needs their badge facing a certain direction regardless of where the throw is disregarding practicality and comfort I do think that is a compulsion and something unhealthy for the mentality of a player

in that situation ...if you look at it...your drum kit and compulsion is ruling over you instead of you ruling over the kit ...and if this happens in ones drumming it definitely happens in other aspect of their life and is not only affecting their drumming but quality of life

this is all coming from a person recovering from OCD....we are constantly in recovery and this whole badge situation is classic OCD.....classic

I wouldn't go as far as to assert such small mindedness and assume where people may be coming from. The original post was-

I personally leave mine right between 6 and 7 directly to the left of the bottom snare basket arm

....so purely out of curiosity ......where is your throw off?

It pretty obvious as to 'why' people position their throw off where they do, but why do manufactures position it where they do?

I position my throw in different places depending on the drum (how high the lever is) and what type of music Im playing (lots of cross sticking etc.).

Again, if enough people chime in with 'where' the info may be used by manufactures/builders to relocate badge/throw positioning.

Les, I absolutely understand what you're saying but as far as I'm concerned other than stating that fact I fail to see any other point to your line of reasoning.

We understand where you're coming from.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

It pretty obvious as to 'why' people position their throw off where they do, but why do manufactures position it where they do?

on most of my snares.....if I place the badge forward the throw is at about 8

which seems to be a popular spot for throws...so maybe that is their thought process?....

a couple of my snares would have the throw at 9 with the badge in front......so .....who knows

but what about left handed drummers and righties that play open handed ?.......are they only making suggestions for righties who play crossed and right side ride ?

generally the hand to use for a quick throw off or on would be a righties left and a lefties right ....no?

Last edited by Anthony Amodeo; 02-24-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM
audiotech

Here's where all of mine are located, just about 7:30 on the dial. Most of my throw offs are the typical side to side engaged, but a couple, like this DW throw off is flipped up and down. If the snare drum is not positioned correctly in its stand, my leg gets in the way of it a bit. My other flip type throw off is on a Tama drum.

Dennis
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 AM
Platinum Member

but what about left handed drummers and righties that play open handed ?.......are they only making suggestions for righties who play crossed and right side ride ?

Between 6 and 9:00 is going to be the majority for kits set up right handed.

There aren't enough sinister drummers to make a marketing difference, I'd say less than 5% of all kit drummers set up left handed.

This guy sets up the throw at 9:00, but his tension knob is opposite at 3:00 so tow positions need to be addressed. Having the badge face drumming north so to speak doesn't afford optimal viewing in a kit situation 99% of the time, the toms usually block the view.

Dennis Chambers snare (others) have dual sided adjustments which rules out 6 and 12:00 placement, for ease of use anyway.

Im sure why manufactures face the snare badge north/forward is continuity with the other drums in the kit for catalog photo purposes, where they can raise the toms to also make the snare drum badge visible.
Attached Images