DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 AM

Default Was given a Roland TD-7 drum module - want advice

I already have a PDP concept maple kit that is all miced up for recording but I was given this Roland TD-7 drum module. I thought it would be cool to make a sub mix on a few recordings with some triggers or just to play around with. I've been reading bad reviews about the drum triggers you can put on acoustic drums. Should I pursue this coarse or should I just ebay it off?
I thought about slowly building a electronic practice kit with it too but after looking at the prices for mesh drums, or even the 2 zone pads, I don't think it's worth it. Any suggestions?

Edit: I feel like a tard for misspelling 'module" in the title. Sorry.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Was given a Roland TD-7 drum modual want advise

Well, if it was given to you, I wouldn't rush to sell it. I think you should at least hold onto it and ponder your alternatives .... or give it to me;-)
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 AM
Gold Member

Apologies for the self-promotion (but it directly relates to what you're asking).
I could bang on all day about the advantages/ disadvantages of going A2E but here's an example of the direction you may be headed in (pics):
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=94063
And some vids of the kit in action:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=94064
So this is the kind of look/ sound you may end up with at the end of your conversion. Hope it helps you make a decision!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

I say experiment away.

TD-7 has easy to use sensitivity variation so you should be able to adapt triggers....never tried it on mine...I just use the pads/pedals.

Real irritaing part about branching out into electronics is having to deal with amplification and mixing...though not so much of a pain if you are used to micing/amping your acoustics already.

can get spendy quick...but thats why there are used electronics educational books and schematics for building your own ampifiers.. ; )

(and insurance to pay for the tachycardia treatment after the first few electrocutions)