DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 AM

Default Help Buying First Drum Set?

Hi I'm new to drumming. I'm 17 years old. I started taking lessons about a month ago and I'm looking to buy a drum set. I wanted to know if anyone can help me with this. What brand is good? Is there a certain sound I should be paying attention to for a good drum set? Basically What should I be looking for in my first drum set? My budget is about $600 but I can go a little bit more but not too expensive. Thanks for any help that I get I really appreciate it.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Help Buying First Drum Set?

Well it really all depends on what you want to do with the drums. They make several kits in your price range aimed at beginners. These kits come with cheap cymbals, usually a throne, and basically everything a beginning drummer needs to get going. But as you progress you'll want better equipment. In the $600 dollar range, I highly HIGHLY advise you grab ddrum's D2 kit. In spite of what shallow people say (people who dislike beginner kits, simply because they're beginners kits), the D2 is a monster of a drum set. And I think the 7 piece version is $600, maybe $700 at the most. I played this drum kit myself for a while, and I'll tell you, if you need something cheap, it's the way to go. Even with the factory heads, tune em' properly, and you'll like the sound of the drums. I think they're just made of basswood, maybe a combo of basswood and birch - but they're incredibly well built.

So google ddrum's D2. It comes in a few different finishes. But if I had to choose a beginner kit, that'd be the one.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyRollz View Post
Hi I'm new to drumming. I'm 17 years old. I started taking lessons about a month ago and I'm looking to buy a drum set. I wanted to know if anyone can help me with this. What brand is good? Is there a certain sound I should be paying attention to for a good drum set? Basically What should I be looking for in my first drum set? My budget is about $600 but I can go a little bit more but not too expensive. Thanks for any help that I get I really appreciate it.
More info needed...

What kind of music are you looking to play?

&

When you say $600 for the whole kit? drums, cymbals, hardware? If that is the case, then you're better off looking for a used kit from somebody else on Craigslist or something. I just priced a new Tama Silverstar last night (for fun). The actual drum shell pack was $600, but when I added everything else, the total came to about $2300. Of course I was pricing good cymbals, moderate gear and cases.

I have to get going, but I'm sure somebody here will help you out with some brand choices.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

Since you're taking lessons, start by asking your teacher. Does he have a kit for sale? Or know someone who does?
Took me less than 2 minutes to find a $300 starter kit ..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-piece-DRUM...59b7e8a&_uhb=1 5 piece, hi-hats, cymbal, throne (probably no pedal). Find something like this, used, in your area ..... here's another http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Export...87b544c&_uhb=1
There are thousands of used entry level kits out there. Some people just have to go new, and if that's you ..... well, the Ddrum D2 might be your deal. But used will get you a little more back for your buck. Or save you a few bucks. And you can learn on a used kit, just as well as a new one. After a few years, you'll want to upgrade, and that's the time to splash some bigger green. By then, you'll have a better understanding of what you want, in a kit.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Go here:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

then here:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=14

Try to keep questions within the proper topic. Thanks
Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

I'm going to just stop answering these questions.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I'm going to just stop answering these questions.
You know, sometimes when you do a search you pull up threads that are old and stale or a thread that's been totally hi-jacked that there's no useful information available. Because of this, it's just easier to ask the question again.

All the newbies and trolls on this site are here to gain knowledge about something they love doing and It's important for those with all the experience to help out the less experienced.

It's a burden we all must put up with... but that's life.

By the way, sorry if I hi-jacked this thread.

To the original poster: Buy used! You'll get a better deal. There's lots of quality stuff out there from former "drummers" that couldn't cut it.

Cheers.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Please seek guidance from your teacher.

With his/her help look to Craigslist or your local Mom/Pop shop long before the big box stores. Why...well as you may or may not find out later in the game, the Mom & Pop stores are very valuable to your local community.

Deals abound on Craigs and can save you a ton of cash. I state again though, have your teacher assist you in the process or at least tell you what to lookout for.

What you play today will most likely be different than what you play 15 years from today (not always the case but a general rule). Time on the instrument and your tastes will change. A good set will take you miles in accomplishing your lessons.

Today's market in the $500.00 range can buy you a great set of drums you can play for many, many years to come. The harder and sometimes more expensive elements are good cymbals. Also don't forget to save some bucks and get a good stool. At 17 your body is more forgiving than mine but you'll be much more comfy if you can save some bucks for a good one (i.e.. Roc & Soc) You may also need to change heads on a used (or new) kit to get a good sound - which is completely possible on a set in this range. You don't need the heaviest hardware - good will do.

Just saying all of this to ensure you cover all your budgeted money.

If you lived near me, I'd be more than willing to help but in all likelihood you don't.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:58 AM

First, only a month into drumming, I wouldn't be buying a drum set. You aren't there. Learn the basics. Wait a year. Maybe buy a snare drum. As your instructor I wouldn't be recommending a drum set either.

While I'm waiting my year, I'd save my money and put together a larger budget. I'd then look for a QUALITY used set. Ludwig, Sonor, Yamaha, Gretsch, etc. Stay away from the new entry-level junk. In the future, if for some reason you find yourself wanting to sell the drums, they're going to hold their value much better than the entry level stuff (i.e. you won't take a loss).

I'd buy a conventional sized set of wood drums in standard depths. 22" bass, 12/13/16 toms if a 5 pc, swapping out either the 12 or 13 with a 4 pc. This is the most versatile combination of sizes in the history of drumming.

Look for quality cymbals too. You can find used Zildjian cymbals for 1/4 list price EASILY.

You don't need cases unless you're gigging.

Be patient if you're shopping Craiglist. There's a lot of over-valued junk sold on Craigslist. Too many people think the market is paying more than it is.