DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 AM

Default Taking a Rockschool grade in a couple of weeks

Hi all,

I have a rockschool drum exam coming up in a couple of weeks and was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips to help with the exam. Obviously i'm going through all the pieces and stuff but any tips would help, including how to deal with nerves. This is my first drum exam.

Many thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Taking a Rockschool grade in a couple of weeks

what grade is it?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 PM

Grade 5. Many thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 AM
Silver Member

Can you tell us whats on the exam? Reading/Rudiments/Playalongs?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljacker View Post
Can you tell us whats on the exam? Reading/Rudiments/Playalongs?
Generally it will consist of three set pieces (from a syllabus of eight (if my memory serves)) some aural exercises and rudiments.

In terms of dealing with nerves, go in and be friendly to the examiner and smile. They won't give you a better mark for being friendly but if you come across as human (and you can even admit you're nervous) then they're likely to be more relaxed - as are you.

I've taken a few grades (ABRSM and Rockschool many years ago) and it helps if you're absolutely confident that you can play the pieces and the rudiments. Practice as much as you can until you can do everything in your sleep and then even if you have a bad day, you'll still do well. Don't take anything for granted, either. If you think you've nailed something, try to tear it to shreds (recording yourself helps) and find those small errors. Once you've got an idea of what your playing sounds like, then you can be more objective and see it from the examiners' point of view. If you can be objective about your playing, then you have little need to be nervous because you know what you have to do.

I'll always remember taking my driving test. I got into the car and found out my examiner was a Cricket fan. I spent most of the test talking about Cricket. I drove better because I was relaxed and the examiner was amiable. Keep your mind on what you're doing (don't get distracted!) but if you just talk to the examiner - even just a few words - it means you feel less pressure and you play better.

Be yourself. It's difficult because you want to give the best impression you can but by being yourself, you already do that. If you come across as confident, then your playing will be better.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 PM

Thanks, thats really good advice. The hardest part is the ear tests by far but i'm getting there.

The exam consists of three pieces, rudiments, sight reading or improvisation and interpretation, ear tests and general musicianship questions.

Many thanks,
Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

Had a look at the reading for rockschool grades. Looked quite easy compared to say Trinity Guildhall.

Have a look at some drum magazines and see if you can play out the lesson grooves/fills purely sightread.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

which pieces are you picking?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 PM

I'm going to do the improvisation instead of sight reading as i find that easy, basically it's a two bar groove followed by a four bar development and then a two bar solo.

I'm taking the new syllabus. I'm doing Rollin', Tiberius and Do Balanco. The last one is the hardest as it is a samba and i'm not used to that style but it has helped me to expand my genres. Many thanks again guys:)
Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 PM

Hi man

I did the grade 8 about a year ago and was prepared for everything apart from the ear test , it was a fill in 7 , you get to hear it twice and have to play it back , i thought this was extremely hard , also musical questions about different styles , i wasnt prepared for such as different drum sizes commonly used for different styles etc ... although I knew the answers anyway I never thought he would ask stuff , I passed the exam all the same ,you just practice the ear tests ( if there are any at grade 5) .......good luck