DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default yamaha stage custom opinion?

I've never gone the Yamaha route. I guess I kind of view them unfairly as kind of 'generic' but this Stage Custom kit interests me as a 2nd kit for playing out. I don't have much info from the ad.
Would you pick it over an older Gretsch Catalina maple? Pluses or minuses?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: yamaha stage custom opinion?

sorry hopefully here is image
Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Stage Customs are nice drums, and I think Yamaha hardware can't be beat. I play on a similar vintage Stage Custom kit from time to time and I think they sound nice.

If the price is right I think they'd be a great second kit.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

I have been playing my SC from about the same period on gigs for the last 15 years or so. Dependable, sounds great, never an issue. You could do a lot worse than a SC. As for whether it's better than a Catalina Maple... you'd have to let your ears be the judge. But if you do buy the SC, you won't be settling for anything crappy or second-rate, at least.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

I would pick a Yamaha SC over a Gretsch Catalina any day of the week. The Gretsch sets are quite nice and there is nothing wrong with them but Yamaha really make just about the best gear at this price point - arguably along with Sonor.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I would pick a Yamaha SC over a Gretsch Catalina any day of the week. The Gretsch sets are quite nice and there is nothing wrong with them but Yamaha really make just about the best gear at this price point - arguably along with Sonor.
I agree. Though Stage Custom is birch vs. the Gretsch maple. Different sounds. But yeah, I'd go Yamaha any day. I don't think you get the Gretsch wow factor until the Renown line, which I feel overall is the best kit for the money today.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
I agree. Though Stage Custom is birch vs. the Gretsch maple. Different sounds. But yeah, I'd go Yamaha any day. I don't think you get the Gretsch wow factor until the Renown line, which I feel overall is the best kit for the money today.
The pictured SC is the older birch/mahogany/falkata model, from the late 90's. It's not the all-birch set they sell nowadays - but they still sound quite good.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

At this kind of price point and construction, I really think the shell material is totally irrelevant. I just think that the Yamaha drums are more consistently excellent than almost any other manufacturer and I love their hardware. I've retrofitted a lot of my drums with Yamaha hardware.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

I think the Yamahas are better drums than the Catalinas, though I don't like the sizes and dimensions of the sets I've come across-- I've only seen them with deep toms and 22" bass drums.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

As long as you're not paying over the odds a 2nd hand well looked after Stage Custom is an awful lot of kit for the money and you'll always get your money back or very close as long as you keep it in good condition.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
sorry hopefully here is image
The stretch lugs indicate the the older birch/mahogany/falkata model, I believe. There are LOTS of different versions of the SC. If you're interested in knowing, Yamaha has a website that can help you identify which version you have using the model numbers on the badge.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the replies. Was aware of that great Yamaha hardware, I use it as well on another kit. Now, sadly.... the SC kit was just sold to somebody else.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. Was aware of that great Yamaha hardware, I use it as well on another kit. Now, sadly.... the SC kit was just sold to somebody else.
Keep looking. There are millions of 'em out there. Be patient and you'll pick one up for a steal. I bought one a couple years ago for $250 for a 4-piece. Included a Pearl Eliminator double pedal -- which I promptly turned around and sold on the bay for $175. : )
Old 07-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Don't worry. They're also very popular and will no doubt appear again very soon.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 PM

I think like everything its all down to personal choice...what floats one persons boat doesnt always float anothers...I started off playing Premier kits back in the day when the first Royale kits were around, then APK's etc..Then came a succession of Pearl Exports.I bought one of these SC Yammy kits in this very green as soon as they hit the stores as i badly wanted a green woodgrain kit which was a colour/finish not that freely available at the time...I built the kit up to an 8pce with a Gibralter rack set up and a set of Zildjian A Custom cymbls...I hated that kit...never could get on with the hardware, never liked the tom mounts with those balls...lol....Finally sold it and bought Pearl ELX and then a Pearl Masters Birch. The best kit i ever owned....Ive always preferred Pearl harware and i used that kit 5 nights a week for close on 4 yrs, a set of Hardcases kept it from the savages of being thrown in and out of a van and notheing ever failed...superb finish on everything..Sounded great and looked a million dollars..Now ive given up the semi-pro playing and downsized my kit...Yamaha have a good following and theres without a doubt theres many out there that swear by them but for me i just never got on with them at all...

Like all instruments i would always advise, go try them out and buy what you feel is best for you....
Old 07-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

I just want to throw this out there and I know there are others that feel the same way.

Whenever I'm in doubt, if there's a Yamaha product that is at the same price range, I'll generally buy the Yamaha because it's a brand I have a huge amount of trust in. Everything they do is quality and although it's not always class-leading (their saxophones, for instance, in the student ranges are a little uninspired) I always trust that whatever they have in that specific market is going to be a good product.

We have a Yamaha Grand Piano in the house. I own a Musashi snare drum and I also bought a Yamaha BB414 bass guitar as my first bass (I own two now) and all of them have been without fault in terms of build quality and performance compared to equivalent competition. The Yamaha bass isn't the easiest to play (high tension) but sounds great. I bought a Dean bass that plays more easily but doesn't sound quite as good and I'll play either happily.

So Yamaha is a name that has earned my trust. I have a lot of time for their gear, whatever it might be. Motorbikes, Saxophones, Hardware - all of it.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 PM
audiotech

Even though I would normally pick maple shells over birch, in this instance I would have to go with the Yamaha Stage Customs. I own Yamaha drums and their build and tone quality are second to none. I've played the newer version of the Stage Customs recently and they sound very nice. I never had the opportunity to try the Catalina Maple kit.

Dennis
Old 07-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I've never gone the Yamaha route. I guess I kind of view them unfairly as kind of 'generic'...

They are kind of 'generic', but then again, almost all drums are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post

...I don't like the sizes and dimensions of the sets I've come across-- I've only seen them with deep toms and 22" bass drums....

This one comes with an 18" bass and shallow toms: http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/mus...op/?mode=model

You can get the standard Stage Custom with either a 20" or 22" bass, and the toms that come with those are shallower than the old 'power toms':
http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/mus...om/?mode=model

You can order individual 18, 20 22, or 24 inch bass drums, and individual toms for any of the SC sets - kind of unusual at this price point.

Overall, they offer a lot.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

If you want to hear how the Stage Customs sound recorded, I just finished this in my studio. The drums sound great, and the sound is completely raw; no EQ even needed.

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93116