Drummerworld forum exclusive --- Announcement---

Andy

Honorary Member
It gives me huge pleasure to announce that Joe Morris is now officially a Guru endorsing artist, & specifically endorsing snare drums from Guru Drumworks.

If you're not familiar with Joe & some of his work, check out his page on Drummerworld: http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Joe_Morris.html

I've been in discussions with Joe over the last 6 months or so. Joe takes endorsement of drums & drum related items very seriously. He's what you would term as a sincere artist in this regard, only putting his name to instruments that truly excite & satisfy him. We made a 13" x 4" stave piccolo drum for Joe. It features a shell with ash highlights made from bubinga heartwood, & Guru signature segmented hoops crafted from bubinga outer heartwood. Joe shoots for a fairly controlled sound, & wanted a piccolo drum that delivered depth & tone. That's a tough ask, but one that we're happy to take on. Joe almost always uses piccolo snare drums.

Only after testing the Guru against his other considerable selection of drums, was Joe happy to endorse Guru snare drums. We will be making a new series kit (to be launched in October) for Joe. Once he's tested that out, he'll then decide whether to endorse our new drum series, or not, as the case may be.

We'll not be making press announcements just yet, but as both Joe & myself are forum members here, we thought you'd appreciate a heads up :)

Here's an improv' jam that Joe recorded with some of his bandmates, called "Kick the Can", & featuring his new Guru snare. It's a totally dry rough mix recording, so you get a fair impression. Of course, Joe's playing is the star, not the drum ;) (Link below Joe's picture.)

Both Dean & myself are very excited at the prospect of working with Joe.

Attachments

• 01 KICK THE CAN.mp3
    6.3 MB · Views: 142
  • Joe Morris.jpg
    Joe Morris.jpg
    930.3 KB · Views: 631
Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Good news Andy, glad to see you guys are continue to make steps in the right direction! Keep it up.

I thought I detected a degree of "pillow talk" in an earlier thread. It had me wondering if something was up at the time, so won't say it's a complete surprise. Congrats all round. Good to see you guys at Guru building up quite a profile. Can't wait to hear his review.

Shame you don't do hardware too, I'm sure you could flog him a custom bent hat stand while you're at it (don't worry mate, you won't be the only one left scratching your head at that one either.....but Joe will understand my stupidity). :)

As soon as life's financial hindrances stop getting in the way, we're gonna have to have a serious talk about some sort of 13 x 7 "Pocket" model too. Played on a Brady in those specs recently and I thought at the time, this is just the sort of thing I can't live without.....who better than the fine folk at Guru to make me one. Alas at the moment, I can barely afford a roll of gaffer!!

I thought I detected a degree of "pillow talk" in an earlier thread. It had me wondering if something was up at the time, so won't say it's a complete surprise. Congrats all round. Good to see you guys at Guru building up quite a profile. Can't wait to hear his review.
Aha, what a detective :) Thanks for the good wishes, & I hope Joe gets the chance to chime in, as I know he's super busy right now.

Shame you don't do hardware too, I'm sure you could flog him a custom bent hat stand while you're at it (don't worry mate, you won't be the only one left scratching your head at that one either.....but Joe will understand my stupidity). :)
Count me in as confused :-

As soon as life's financial hindrances stop getting in the way, we're gonna have to have a serious talk about some sort of 13 x 7 "Pocket" model too. Played on a Brady in those specs recently and I thought at the time, this is just the sort of thing I can't live without.....who better than the fine folk at Guru to make me one. Alas at the moment, I can barely afford a roll of gaffer!!
Happy to help out anytime, & at "mates rates" too ;) Sorry to hear about the Gaffer situation mate :(

Awesome! Good news Andy, glad to see you guys are continue to make steps in the right direction! Keep it up.
Thank you :)

Snare looks and sounds great! Good stuff, guys!
Glad you like it :)

Awesome news! Way to go, Andy :)

Joe is indeed very serious about the gear he uses, and if I'm not mistaken, hasn't lent his name to a drum company for several years. This is big step for him to consider an endorsement, and there's no doubt he's chosen Guru carefully.

Congrats to both!

Bermuda

Congrats to both of you.A class act endorsing a class act.The drum sounds great,nice job as usual Andy.Cheers mate.:)

Steve B

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts & complements, they really are appreciated.

Jon's right to highlight Joe's take on exercising extreme care when putting his name to something. In that respect, we're of a very similar mind, & that care is reciprocal. It's crucial to us that our endorsing artists truly love our stuff. We don't give stuff away, we develop a mutually beneficial partnership, very similar partnerships to the ones we develop with our customers, just on a different basis. We choose who we work along side, with great care, just as our artists choose us with care. Even though we're a small emerging company, we get tens of requests weekly for "endorsement" deals. In all but a handful of cases, it's the perception of a free gear grab & some degree of pseudo kudos that's the driver. If it's possible for there to be a polar opposite of that stance, it's embodied in Joe, & we're truly honoured to have his ear as council.

awesome

great drummer for your roster

great product for that great drummer

sounds like a good match to me

Congrats to both Guru Drumworks and Joe Morris. Listening to the provided clip that snare sounds killer as does Joe's playing. Did I mention that the snare is also a beautiful piece of artwork as well?

BIG congrats! So happy that you're growing and becoming well-established! Someday, I hope I can get my hands on one and see what all the hype is about. ;) We KNOW the people behind it are all class.

We KNOW the people behind it are all class.
That's such a nice thing to say. I hope I can live up to that.

Congrats to both Guru Drumworks and Joe Morris. Listening to the provided clip that snare sounds killer as does Joe's playing. Did I mention that the snare is also a beautiful piece of artwork as well?
Thank you Steve :) Joe's playing, hell yes. That beautiful bass drum work = oh dear, I can only imagine what a combo Joe's footwork & our thunder can become.

Wunderbar! das ist good news for both of you, congratulations :))
Thanks Henri. I hope to show you some stuff in person one day :)

awesome

great drummer for your roster

great product for that great drummer

sounds like a good match to me
Thank you, & I'm confident that we can do great things together.

Congratulations to the both of you, that snare is beautiful :)
Cheers, & thanks for chiming in. Glad you like Joe's snare.

Cheers, & thanks for chiming in. Glad you like Joe's snare.

I would like to add a piccolo snare to my arsenal someday. A Joe Morris Signature snare perhaps? From Guru? Sounds like a good one if it sounds anything like that last one, which I'm sure it will.

Back