Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5 x 14 or 5 x 14 and Brass, Bronze, or Chrome?

I have played the Chrome 6.5x14 with my set, other sets, and even in a wind ensemble and it's a great sounding drum, very versatile. To my ear it's extremely loud (I tend to favor a more sensitive, small sound) so if I was buying it I'd go with the 14x5, but from my experience its a great drum and it can be made to do just about anything you want.

Sounds amazing with brushes...

I would choose the bronze.

I like how it sounds remarkably different than the other two. Unless you don't have a brass snare already, then you will get a unique snare sound that is also very versatile.

Thanks for answering.

I went to guitar center and tried out both the 5" and 6.5" (chrome) Models........OOOOOOOH.......I'm in love.

I really could not choose which one so I went home with nothing. The 6.5" has such a sweet fat sound with great wash to it but the 5" has such an articulate yet open sound that still has that sweet ring. They both sound so sweet...SWEET I TELL YOU, SWEET!

Well, here's a question:
Can you tune the 6.5 up close to a 5" sound or vice versa?
Also, I play rock, pop, and funk, so which one do you think I should get for those genres?
Do you think I should just get both and stop wining?
If you think so, just give me money. Just PM me and I will give you the PO Box to mail it to.

Thanks!

Are you looking at a COB or Chrome over Ludalloy (aluminum)? Here is a ludalloy supra, hand hammered. I love it.

Attachments

• Snares.jpg
    Snares.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 3,970
What I tried was the Chrome over Ludalloy. What does the hammering do to the sound?

I'm also confused about the sound difference between the Chrome, Bronze, and Brass shells. What's the difference?

What I tried was the Chrome over Ludalloy. What does the hammering do to the sound?

I'm also confused about the sound difference between the Chrome, Bronze, and Brass shells. What's the difference?

The hammering tends to deaden the ring/resonance, but with a metal shell, the differences seem pretty slight to me. The brass sounded louder and ringier in the store that the aluminum did, which is one reason I picked the Ludalloy. The chrome is just a coating. Ludwig uses it to coat the Supraphonics whether they are made of brass or aluminum. The brass are also more expensive in part because brass is more expensive than aluminum. Hence, you will often see vintage snares described as "COB" or chrome over brass. It's just a coating for the real drum material: brass.

Thanks alot, Roger!

I think that the Ludalloy would be best for my usage. I am still concerned about which size to buy. I love both the 5 and 6.5" models. Someday maybe my wife will allow me to own both but which should I buy right now! It's frustrating. I don 't really expect you guys to answer my question, but it's frustrating.

I did like the snappy sound of the 5, but that 6.5 had such a classic sweet sound. I played them both with a set and they both sounded great. Oh well....

I am still concerned about which size to buy. I love both the 5 and 6.5" models.
I did like the snappy sound of the 5, but that 6.5 had such a classic sweet sound. I played them both with a set and they both sounded great. Oh well....

Personally, I would get the 6.5x14. You can come close to getting the same sound as the 5, but you can't get the fatter body of a 6.5 out of a 5. To me, the 6.5x14 snare drum is the perfect size.

I have to agree with Mendozart.

The 6.5 does have that classic Supra sound, the mid-fatter sound, gets that "Bonham" sound, and it can also sound great tuned up higher, and cracks like anything when cranked up.

It also sounds great with about any head, which a lot of brands sound good with only a few.

I have Brass, Bronze, Chrome and Aluminum Ludwig snares, and they all sound, perform & record great.

The one constant in all of the drum universe is that you CAN NOT go wrong with a Ludwig snare.

Back