DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-16-2017, 11:38 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Default Re: Anika switches to Tama

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Wasn't Tony Williams moving to DW at the time of his death? I know Steve Maxwell's shop used to own Tony's DW custom snare--in TY Yellow with red lugs, I believe, and 12 lugs on batter side.
Tony did move to DW before he passed away. If you actually buy the CD, "Young at Heart", there's a picture of his DW kit on that one, and that's what he used for the recording. It was nice to hear him in a trio setting. Too bad it was his final album.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
On the note of thin-shelled drum revolution that Matt alludes to, fusion/jazz player Joel Rosenblatt once told me that Tama developed the Starclassic Maple line to compete with Gretsch USA drums. He said something funny like, "Everyone loves a Gretsch kit but hates the hardware." Hence the SC Maple: thin-shelled maple, die-cast hoops, but better hardware. Interesting historical note from a Tama player who was there at the dawn of the SC line.
I think everybody was saying that about Gretsch back then. Stan at Pro Drum in Hollywood would always order Gretsch drums for people without tom mounts or spurs, and he would install whatever you wanted on them. A few years ago I helped him unbox a new Gretsch kit that had nothing installed, and he mounted Yamaha spurs on the bass drum, and Yamaha tom mounts and floor tom legs and brackets. Made sense to me.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Silver Member

I'm not into watching YouTube drummers but from what I've seen and heard of Anika she's a "proper" drummer. Every time I come across a "10 Best Female Drummers/Guitarists/ Whatever" on YouTube or Facebook it's usually code for "10 Attractive Women Showing Lots Of Cleavage And Wearing High Heels Who Are Also Fairly Decent But Not Especialy Significantly Excellent Drummers/Guitarists/Whatever". Anika doesn't fall into that category at all and more power to her for that.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Well, I have to disagree with Bermuda's dig at Anika. She's a pretty accomplished drummer, one of Jost Nickel's former students. Sure, she's done a lot of YouTube video work, but she at least shows a lot of promise and plays very well.
Certainly not meant as a dig to her, or to anyone who has exposure online. I might do the same if starting out today. I only commented because I still wonder at what point a YT drummer gains the kind of credibility required to work in the real-world of gigs, sessions, and touring. Or, is being a YT drummer a suitable achievement? Assuming they monetize their views, there's some money to be made, but is that a career? And if that drummer becomes pigeonholed, how do they break away from it without simply starting from scratch like everyone else?

Bermuda
Old 02-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

She makes a bit of cash on iTunes.

https://itun.es/us/xbYm0
Old 02-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Certainly not meant as a dig to her, or to anyone who has exposure online. I might do the same if starting out today. I only commented because I still wonder at what point a YT drummer gains the kind of credibility required to work in the real-world of gigs, sessions, and touring. Or, is being a YT drummer a suitable achievement? Assuming they monetize their views, there's some money to be made, but is that a career? And if that drummer becomes pigeonholed, how do they break away from it without simply starting from scratch like everyone else?

Bermuda
I don't like the idea of the 'YouTube drummer' much if I'm honest but the most popular ones make quite substantial amounts of money. Certainly more than most professional musicians make from teaching.

It's no less 'real-World' than all of those things that you've listed above. I agree that it doesn't seem to quite ring true but money doesn't differentiate itself and how you make it as a musician is irrelevant. If you can make money as a musician then more power to you.

With that said, some of the 'YouTube drummers' out there are patently awful and couldn't hold a candle to many other professional players. I'm thinking specifically of Cooper - who in musical terms is a very limited player yet makes a lot of money thanks to slick presentation, effective market targeting and popular appeal. Whether or not I think that's 'right' doesn't matter. He makes money.

Would I prefer it if musicians were based on their merits and ability? Absolutely. Have that ever been the case? No. Nothing has changed, it's just the means of distribution and financial model that has.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Bermuda
Totally see your points here, and agree. In the case of Annika, I think there is a lot of potential there and she seems already to be developing some professional clout, but hopefully she can use the platform she's created via YT and continue to develop.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
With that said, some of the 'YouTube drummers' out there are patently awful and couldn't hold a candle to many other professional players. I'm thinking specifically of Cooper - who in musical terms is a very limited player yet makes a lot of money thanks to slick presentation, effective market targeting and popular appeal. Whether or not I think that's 'right' doesn't matter. He makes money.

Would I prefer it if musicians were based on their merits and ability? Absolutely. Have that ever been the case? No. Nothing has changed, it's just the means of distribution and financial model that has.
Good assessment--very much agree.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:50 AM
Matt Bo Eder

I just want to be the next Justin Bieber. No talent? No credibility? No problem!

;)
Old 02-17-2017, 02:57 AM
Platinum Member

It isn't just the Youtube phenomena it just seems a biological phenomena that many of the great musicians, artists, and authors die in poverty-yet now are considered the "masters" (something like it's a biological fact that poverty increases the closer to the equator). Many of their contemporaries making the big bucks died rich and no one gives a crap now. So maybe it's some universal balance or it's just "dems da brakes".
Old 02-17-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Tony did move to DW before he passed away. If you actually buy the CD, "Young at Heart", there's a picture of his DW kit on that one, and that's what he used for the recording. It was nice to hear him in a trio setting. Too bad it was his final album.
There must be two versions of the album cover. I just see his face and one rather hefty drumstick with a yellow backdrop.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:31 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarak View Post
There must be two versions of the album cover. I just see his face and one rather hefty drumstick with a yellow backdrop.
No, I think it's just the one. The drum kit is showed on the back.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

Two things. Would I rather live in poverty but be held up as a visionary years after my death, or would I rather live comfortably, enjoy myself and ultimately be forgotten. My opinion is that I'd prefer the latter.

Second thing, bringing it back to Anika. I made a point of looking up a couple of her videos last night. I urge those of you who haven't yet but might hold YouTube drummers in a dim light to have a look at some of her performances. If you're left thinking anything other than that she's an exceptional musician then I'll have to shake my head.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Bo: I guess it's a simple case: Anika is endorsed (and supported quite much) by
Meinl in Germany. Meinl distributes Tama. So it's obviously the most comfortable
solution for Anika and - I guess - Meinl as well to play these drums and have
everything at the same place.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

I think if she works really hard on her mugging for the camera she could be the next Meytal Cohen.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2017, 03:45 AM
Silver Member

Isn't it important to just have a general rule that you not only have to be fundamentally talented but you have to have done something worthwhile?

I mean otherwise we'd have to say Daniel Adair is a good drummer :-P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqQENo8FwPM

He's at least as mechanically gifted as all these YT people, right? But he plays for Nickelback. Ewwwww.

I don't think you need to live fast and die young ... but you need to be more than a person with the money to go to drum school and buy cameras. I'll care about Anika or Meytal or COOOOOOOOOP33333R when they're important parts of some memorable band, not flashy kids copying famous drum parts on YT.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
Isn't it important to just have a general rule that you not only have to be fundamentally talented but you have to have done something worthwhile?
Which judge determines what is "worthwhile"? You? Me?

Nay. If an honest attempt has been made at anything, it shall be worthwhile.

http://www.gocomics.com/sarahs-scribbles/2016/09/10

Quote:

He's at least as mechanically gifted as all these YT people, right? But he plays for Nickelback. Ewwwww.
Nope. Sorry. The band is composed of hard working musicians. So good they've lasted over a decade and are still going strong.

https://youtu.be/rtVU--O29oY
Old 02-19-2017, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
I think if she works really hard on her mugging for the camera she could be the next Meytal Cohen.
Quite bad comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken

What's wrong with some of you!? I'm not AT ALL a Nickelback fan - but of course
Daniel Adair is a good drummer!! And: "mechanically gifted"?? Ever heard of
practice?!
Old 02-19-2017, 12:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I don't think you need to live fast and die young ... but you need to be more than a person with the money to go to drum school and buy cameras. I'll care about Anika or Meytal or COOOOOOOOOP33333R when they're important parts of some memorable band, not flashy kids copying famous drum parts on YT.
This is an awful take in every way. Perhaps you are trying to be amusing.

1. Who is to judge that.
2. Adair has played for a ton of people on some big big stages, sold a ton of records, and is in an incredibly popular band. The Nickleback memes are as annoying as the Lars memes. like the music or not, I wouldn't say that his drumming isn't serving the song, which is really the highest compliment a drummer can get.
3. Anika is in no way in the same category as those other two. If you'd ever seen any of her music videos, you would know this.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknightx View Post
This is an awful take in every way. Perhaps you are trying to be amusing.

1. Who is to judge that.
2. Adair has played for a ton of people on some big big stages, sold a ton of records, and is in an incredibly popular band. The Nickleback memes are as annoying as the Lars memes. like the music or not, I wouldn't say that his drumming isn't serving the song, which is really the highest compliment a drummer can get.
3. Anika is in no way in the same category as those other two. If you'd ever seen any of her music videos, you would know this.
You beat me to it.
Even I know how fashionable it is to insult Nickelback and their paltry contribution to music. Sorry I mean millionaire, platinum selling, arena filling, hit writing, band Nickelback. One word, jealousy
And again, let's bring it back to Anika. Am I so wrong on this that I'm seeing a hugely skilled musician at work while actually she's not all that? Or are people talking about her without doing what I did first and checking out what she does?
Finally, times change and things move on. For everyone criticising YouTube drumming as "a thing" think on the pelters Bob Dylan took when he SHOCK HORROR went electric. It didn't turn out so bad for him.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Quite bad comparison.
Just a bad joke but the difference in talent between Anika and Meytal is obvious. While they are both youtube phenomes Anika is good enough to tour with almost anyone she chooses. I don't think that's true for Meytal.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

I just alerted the NY Times that Anika Nilles has switched from Mapex to Tama. So they'll take it from here.

Sorry....just couldn't resist the mild sarcasm.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolwich View Post
You beat me to it.
Even I know how fashionable it is to insult Nickelback and their paltry contribution to music. Sorry I mean millionaire, platinum selling, arena filling, hit writing, band Nickelback. One word, jealousy
And again, let's bring it back to Anika. Am I so wrong on this that I'm seeing a hugely skilled musician at work while actually she's not all that? Or are people talking about her without doing what I did first and checking out what she does?
Finally, times change and things move on. For everyone criticising YouTube drumming as "a thing" think on the pelters Bob Dylan took when he SHOCK HORROR went electric. It didn't turn out so bad for him.
Backstreet Boys: 130 million albums sold.
Ace of Base: 30 million albums sold.
Vanilla Ice: 11 million albums sold.

I don't put much faith in the "they have made money so we have to respect them" camp. But, horses for courses. I'm not trying to convince you to dislike Nickelback. I just think they're terrible, which is why I used them as a reference. I could just as easily have mentioned Deen Castronovo in Styx (although I have to admit with some embarrassment that I like some Styx songs).

And if you see something great in Anika, awesome. But I see this whole YT thing in the same light as the TV singin' contests. I'm never going to stand in the rain for Clay Aiken tickets. You can tell me all day how great his pipes are, to me there's just no "there" there.

If opinions made objective sense they'd be called facts.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:53 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
On my FB feed, Anika Nilles has switched from Mapex to Tama. If all her videos sounds like the old videos.......

Anything to discuss here?
This was my original post. So it was kinda cool seeing all the different directions this took. I just wanted to point out that if her new drums sound the same as the old drums, will I be impressed? But I do feel she'll get better support from Tama - they've been in this game a lot longer and are a bigger company, so kudos to anyone for getting the support they need for their careers.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Backstreet Boys: 130 million albums sold.
Ace of Base: 30 million albums sold.
Vanilla Ice: 11 million albums sold.

I don't put much faith in the "they have made money so we have to respect them" camp. But, horses for courses. I'm not trying to convince you to dislike Nickelback. I just think they're terrible, which is why I used them as a reference. I could just as easily have mentioned Deen Castronovo in Styx (although I have to admit with some embarrassment that I like some Styx songs).

And if you see something great in Anika, awesome. But I see this whole YT thing in the same light as the TV singin' contests. I'm never going to stand in the rain for Clay Aiken tickets. You can tell me all day how great his pipes are, to me there's just no "there" there.

If opinions made objective sense they'd be called facts.
I'm not a fan of Nickelback, aside from Rock Star I'm struggling to name one other song they play. However the Nickelback bashing, in my opinion, seems to be borne out of the opinion that people have that they're too slick/good/clever for their own good. At worst they identified a niche and "monetised" it, in my own tiny little way that's exactly where I've had my greatest success in bands, playing music that there's a demand for but that not many other people are playing. That's a skill in itself.

And back to YouTube drummers, I don't watch them as a rule, I'm clueless in fact and know a couple of names but don't watch them and don't pass any judgement on them as I'm not informed. But I watched Anika and she can play, as I said in an earlier post, if anyone is going to comment on her individually (as opposed to commenting on YouTube drummers as a generalisation ) then watch her first and make your opinion based on that. All that being said her music's not my thing, but then there are hundreds of fantastic musicians who's skill I can appreciate but who's music doesn't do anything for me, but that doesn't take away from their skill.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

By the by, in case some of you haven't heard it, Anika is releasing her first
album in a couple days actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngGJiRi6EHo&t=40s
Old 02-27-2017, 06:48 PM

There she is playing her new Tamas:

https://youtu.be/1z-RQpLDL4c
Old 03-28-2017, 11:50 AM

I have watched some of her stuff before......not my thing per se but I would never throw shade to her as she certainly can beat the skins.

The whole YT argument is getting a little old, but I get it, if that option was available to myself and my old bands back 20-25 years ago I'm fairly certain we would have jumped on the bandwagon so to speak so I can't really judge someone for it. That being said, playing covers in your basement studio is still playing covers in your basement studio, we all do it as it is fun, but it never occurred to most of us to promote it.......

Bermuda's take on all the other things required to be a working musician certainly hit the nail on the head. Not saying Anika doesn't have those, heck I don't know her.....I am thinking Bermuda's comment was more general in the direction of YT fame.....that while some players on YT are certainly well rounded, the YT fame alone is just one data point.

As for Tama......I like mine, play what blows your hair back......that being said, her cymbal sound makes my hair fall out......
Old 03-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Founder Drummerworld

ANIKA NILLES is a fine drummer and make tons of clinics - she can play!!
I think she also appears at Drummer Live London

And here at Drummerworld nobody mentions, that she has a Drummerworld Page at her own - there is a reason:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Anika_Nilles.html

Bernhard
Old 09-30-2017, 12:48 PM

I have lots of respect for Anika as a drummer. She works VERY hard at becoming the best drummer she can be. She puts in the long hard hours practicing all those boring exercises that drive you crazy and make you want to smash everything to pieces. She has made herself famous through hard work. Nobody did it for her like one of those "boy bands".

The only thing I don't like, & it's a personal preference, is her taste in cymbals. I can't stand all those "trash" sounding cymbals she plays. I think it's mostly a fad of solo drummers like her because I don't think most other artist would have their songs ruined with that awful noise. They were meant to be used as an "effects" cymbal & used sparingly. Luke Holland is another drummer that over uses trash cymbals. They are both good drummers that I rarely listen to because the sound irritates me.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Man, there we go with the girl thing again.

Anik is a good drummer, so is Emanuelle. They are educated and on a completely different level than most of these youtube wonders playing note-for-note metal tunes. They are experienced players, too.

Tama. She's now with a brand that's bigger, more well known, in company with Peter, Simon, Kenny etc... Not a bad place to be.

My taste as a player. Well, not many really are, but doing your own thing and putting in the work to get out there is to be respected.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:43 PM

I think it is completely unfair to even bring her gender to the equation guys. She's a fantastic player, period. Tasteful too, imho that is.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
Man, there we go with the girl thing again.

Anik is a good drummer, so is Emanuelle. They are educated and on a completely different level than most of these youtube wonders playing note-for-note metal tunes. They are experienced players, too.

Tama. She's now with a brand that's bigger, more well known, in company with Peter, Simon, Kenny etc... Not a bad place to be.

My taste as a player. Well, not many really are, but doing your own thing and putting in the work to get out there is to be respected.
It's an old thread Odd-Arne, and the poster that brought it back hasn't mentioned
anything concerning gender, has he?

People changing endorsement brands has most probably more than anything
to do with personal relations to distributors, and how things work with the
individual support any(ka :) ) artist needs.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandtwi View Post
I have lots of respect for Anika as a drummer. She works VERY hard at becoming the best drummer she can be. She puts in the long hard hours practicing all those boring exercises that drive you crazy and make you want to smash everything to pieces. She has made herself famous through hard work. Nobody did it for her like one of those "boy bands".

The only thing I don't like, & it's a personal preference, is her taste in cymbals. I can't stand all those "trash" sounding cymbals she plays. I think it's mostly a fad of solo drummers like her because I don't think most other artist would have their songs ruined with that awful noise. They were meant to be used as an "effects" cymbal & used sparingly. Luke Holland is another drummer that over uses trash cymbals. They are both good drummers that I rarely listen to because the sound irritates me.
That's actually one of my favorite things about her playing, and a few others like Matt Garstka. The older bright, long-sustain Zildjian/Paiste has mostly been the standard for quite a few decades at this point, so the dark, trashy, shorter, but still complex and aggressive tones are quite distinctive. There have been a number of drummers over the years that have incorporated those sort of sounds into their kits, but this is probably the peak era so far for their more regular incorporation into kits. I think it may help to think of them in these contexts not as effects cymbals so much as extra-crunchy hi-hat alternatives. They're more often used for variations on driving the pulse rather than just the occasional splay of color or texture. It's just a different way of thinking about the function of the cymbals in music.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheherezadeh View Post
That's actually one of my favorite things about her playing, and a few others like Matt Garstka. The older bright, long-sustain Zildjian/Paiste has mostly been the standard for quite a few decades at this point, so the dark, trashy, shorter, but still complex and aggressive tones are quite distinctive. There have been a number of drummers over the years that have incorporated those sort of sounds into their kits, but this is probably the peak era so far for their more regular incorporation into kits. I think it may help to think of them in these contexts not as effects cymbals so much as extra-crunchy hi-hat alternatives. They're more often used for variations on driving the pulse rather than just the occasional splay of color or texture. It's just a different way of thinking about the function of the cymbals in music.
That’s a cool way of looking at it. I used to like odd-sounding gear and tried to incorporate it all the time, and it’s cool Anika is in a position to use those kinds of sounds. But over time I have discovered, as many other would-be-envelope-pushing drummers have, I just get hired to play Mustang Sally ;)
Old 11-15-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I've heard the name, is she a YT phenom or does she have a presence in real life? As for Mapex & Tama, they're kinda the same to me, and neither is at the top of my Asian brands list. :O

Bermuda
For curiosity's sake, what are your top Asian brands?
Old 11-15-2017, 01:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Is it just me, or is it really true, that when drummers write and release music, it includes a lot of drums.
Sorry for veering off topic but....

Yes, but not necessarily. Jack Dejohnette and Antonio Sanchez come to mind.

Last edited by makinao; 11-15-2017 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinao View Post
Sorry for veering off topic but....

Yes, but not necessarily. Jack Dejohnette and Antonio Sanchez come to mind.
I could listen to Jack play piano all night long ;)
Old 11-15-2017, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinmerchant View Post
For curiosity's sake, what are your top Asian brands?
There are top Asian brands?
Old 11-15-2017, 01:05 PM
Gold Member

It's off topic, but yes, there are....

Here are the top brands from Japan for 2017 e.g. ;-)

Source: http://interbrand.com/newsroom/inter...n-brands-2017/

Hmmm... Yamaha at postion 29 - I guess it's not entirely because of their drums. :-D *Brrrm! Brrrrm!*