DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-03-2017, 07:24 AM
Silver Member

Default Dennis Wilson on Drums! (not Hal Blaine)

"At the height of their fame (but not their creative peak) the Beach Boys did this storming concert. Shortly after this Brian quit touring to focus on writing and producing."
The video quality is excellent.

This 1964 concert has all the original members (pre-Bruce Johnston) playing their hits, with Dennis on drums.

Dennis could certainly hold the groove playing live. Although he isn't seen close up most of the time, you can hear him playing all the right notes.
Since Hal B. played on the BB recordings, watching this quality recording in which the original group plays with Dennis today, makes it even more enjoyable.

https://youtu.be/5a4YupnT1sM
Old 07-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dennis Wilson on Drums! (not Hal Blaine)

Wow, Dennis was getting' it done! I never paid much attention to him because I'd always heard the stories about Hal playing on the records. But he was holding the groove with great energy here. Nice to see!
Old 01-25-2018, 11:08 PM

Sometimes one has to wonder if Dennis became the Beach Boys drummer simply by necessity. As in "someone had to do it".

An awful thing to say, I know. But Dennis was more than just a drummer as would become clear in later years. In fact, it can be said that drumming was only a small and ultimately negligable facet of his musical career.

Funnily, Art Blakey became, by his own account, a drummer by necessity. He was a pianist first but was "forced" to take up drums. Worked better for him than for Dennis. But one shouldn't hold that against the Beach Boy who was a true musical spirit.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:19 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know what it is, but I've always found the Beach Boys to be a little "creepy!"
Old 01-26-2018, 02:34 AM
Administrator - Mayor

The irony of the one with the highest voice playing the bass.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:46 AM
Silver Member

Funny...not really a Beach Boys fan and having heard nothing but bad things about Dennis Wilson's playing, I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised. I thought he did a great job of providing the energy the tunes and not only kept things moving but did it without any mistakes or ? moments. I love his open handed style, the alternating ride cymbal playing with both hands and his "surfer" rolls underneath. (He certainly had more energy than the other four guys combined). Maybe Hal Blaine got his inspiration from hearing Dennis' "style" before he took over the job? lol

I was trying to see what the kit was-obviously Rogers hardware (swan-leg stands, bd spurs, swivo tom holders and tom leg mounts), but not sure what lugs they were. Either blurred out Rogers lugs, or perhaps a Gretsch kit that was rigged with Rogers hardware?

I certainly saw no reason the guy should be denied a spot on Drummerworld, especially considering the impact the Beach Boys had on early rock and roll...
Old 01-26-2018, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
I was trying to see what the kit was-obviously Rogers hardware (swan-leg stands, bd spurs, swivo tom holders and tom leg mounts), but not sure what lugs they were. Either blurred out Rogers lugs, or perhaps a Gretsch kit that was rigged with Rogers hardware?
Lugs and spurs look Gretsch to me. Those hoops look heavy, maybe die cast.
But Dennis became a big Camco user a few years later than this.