DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Bill Ward, the Sabbath skin man says "watch Lars, if u want to play drums"...i agree with Mr. Bill Ward.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Lars Ulrich and my valuable lesson in life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickropolis View Post
If there is any metal that grooved, it's Lamb of God.
Totally agree, but let's not forget who started it: Vinnie Paul.

Styles: Metal / Hard Rock / Prog
Old 02-20-2015, 06:10 PM

Worst drummer in Metalica!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:46 PM

The way I see Lars is that he is to me for Metal what Ringo Starr was to the Beatles and rock music past his emergence.

That may be sacrilege to some but Lars was never a conventional drummer by any sense. His technique was weird and to a me a little mystical - he leads with his left foot and accents the crash in strange places. There are things I can't do as they just don't feel organic. Any drummer who do something so unnatural but make it sound good deserves kudos.

I don't care that things are a little sloppy these days. I know that I really should but I listen to so many super tight drummers that sometimes it is nice to have that contrast.

To sum it up he is respected by professionals, but bashed by keyboard warriors who won't achieve 1% of what he has ever achieved.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrench501 View Post
His technique was weird and to a me a little mystical - he leads with his left foot and accents the crash in strange places. There are things I can't do as they just don't feel organic. Any drummer who do something so unnatural but make it sound good deserves kudos.
I agree, his accents and fills are weird. When covering a song they are hard for me to anticipate, but I like it. Maybe not the most technical drummer, but right for Metallica. Maybe more lazy now than 20 years ago, but it is his band.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:17 AM

Lars does the job. He co-invented thrash metal. When Metallica first came out, they changed everything. That just can't be ignored. A lot of rock drummers have a really good sense of other genres, and bring an awful lot of technique to the table. That's not Lars. But he does what Metallica needs.

It's kind of easy to hate on Lars, but people also used to hate on Ringo. They were both the right men for the job.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:45 PM

I personally think Larz is a talented drummer. Just jump in and try to play some of the songs on Death Magnetic like "That was Just Your Life," The End of the Line," "Cyanide" etc..... They may sound simple, but there is some complicated stuff in that album. He is the first drummer to ever really inspire me to play and now we have the likes of Thomas Lang, Dave Grohl, Nick DiVirgilio, and Portnoy. People on here were saying that Dave Grohl wasnt very good either. That made me spit Monster out my nose!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman308 View Post
I personally think Larz is a talented drummer. Just jump in and try to play some of the songs on Death Magnetic like "That was Just Your Life," The End of the Line," "Cyanide" etc..... They may sound simple, but there is some complicated stuff in that album. He is the first drummer to ever really inspire me to play and now we have the likes of Thomas Lang, Dave Grohl, Nick DiVirgilio, and Portnoy. People on here were saying that Dave Grohl wasnt very good either. That made me spit Monster out my nose!
Mr Grohl is another story altogether but for anyone to say he is crap...huh?? Got more session recordings than I'll ever have.

Lars was one of the first drummers I took notice of and I respect him. I don't know if he is an influence, my main influences are local people rather than famous drummers but as a drummer he stood out. 'I Disappear' was the very first metallica song I heard when I was 14 or 15 and I always loved the way he doubled up against James verse riff with his foot. So simple but just effective. Give Joey Jordison that type of song and he would overplay it to hell like he did at Download
Old 07-30-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrench501 View Post
Mr Grohl is another story altogether but for anyone to say he is crap...huh?? Got more session recordings than I'll ever have.

Lars was one of the first drummers I took notice of and I respect him. I don't know if he is an influence, my main influences are local people rather than famous drummers but as a drummer he stood out. 'I Disappear' was the very first metallica song I heard when I was 14 or 15 and I always loved the way he doubled up against James verse riff with his foot. So simple but just effective. Give Joey Jordison that type of song and he would overplay it to hell like he did at Download
I guess in a nutshell that what I was trying to say. Just because a drummer doesnt overplay, doesnt mean his isnt a damn fine drummer. Grohl and Ulrich are both awesome at what they do and very inspiring at the same time.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:30 AM

In my opinion, a drummer is "good" if and only if he or she keeps a solid meter. That's the only criterion for being a "good" drummer in my book, but I am just one guy with an insignificant opinion. I think something like this is very subjective and many people will disagree with me, but I enjoy reading about what others think.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:48 PM

Lars among other thrash metal drummers inspired me to play when I first started. I liked him because I could play the beats pretty early on. And I also think he wrote to the music really well.

What I think happened with Metallica was that Cliff Burton passed away. I think he was a big part of the soul of the band. That is why everything after Justice for all was a very pale reflection of what Metallica used to be. I know Cliff died before Justice For All, but there was still a lot of him on that record. Great bands seem to have a almost magical combination of personalities and if you remove one it is rare to go on to match or exceed the previous success.

Bob Rock killed Metallica on the Black Album for me but maybe they were already dead.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendrad View Post
Bob Rock killed Metallica on the Black Album for me but maybe they were already dead.
Spot on.

Justice is the last album I actually bought from them. Sure, I've heard the others, but have spent 0 money acquiring their music after Justice.

The way the whole deal with Jason went down plus how they're all in need of a therapist etc. etc. just made them into a band I don't understand.
I grew up as a teen in the 80's rocking out to these guys & I assure you what they are now is a 180 from then.

I get it, bands grow & change, but they've gone WAY beyond what a long term band does as far as growth & change.
They're completely different people making a completely different sound.

Last edited by CommanderRoss; 01-11-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:25 PM

METALLICA - MASTER OF PUPPETS - ORIGINAL LARS ULRICH DRUM TRACK (HQ stereo)
https://youtu.be/_2LUyfa8r5M

METALLICA - MASTER OF PUPPETS - ORIGINAL DRUM + BASS TRACKS (HQ stereo)
https://youtu.be/W_0tAfxKiiU

To be continued
Old 01-12-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post

Justice is the last album I actually bought from them. Sure, I've heard the others, but have spent 0 money acquiring their music after Justice.
I have a funny story about that. I never bought the black album or anything more recent either but I was rarely without possession of one. My buddy went out and bought the cassette right away we went for a drive in his car (best sound system we had) and cranked it up. Got to the end of the first side and just looked at each other. Listened to the other side and again blank stares. I though maybe I was missing something so I flipped it again. By the half way point I was so angry I pulled it out of the deck, rolled my window down, and threw it out. My buddy just laughed.

But then it started happening. Every time we threw a party, or took a bunch of tapes somewhere, or even got back in the car, a black album cassette was there. Haunting me. I would take them out of stereo's at parties and hide them but they always showed up. lol. In the end I found an old bag of cassettes in a box around the time cd's were just going out of style. Found some really cool stuff I had forgotten and of course, you guessed it, a Metallica black album. Needless to say where that went.

I guess it worked for Metallica and made a lot of money and a lot of people who wouldn't have been caught dead listening to them a year previously loved the album because there were endless copies out there. Eventually an early band of mine had a half version of Enter Sandman we would play if people asked us to cover them. It was all breakfast food related. I thought it worked better... "We're off to cheddar cheddar land"

I know pretty crazy reaction but I was a huge fan prior to this and will always appreciate what the did for me in the early albums.