Freehand Technique by Johnny Rabb

Johnny Rabb

Hi everyone,

I have been developing and working on my single hand technique since 1994. I came up with the name Freehand Technique in 1995 and was very hopeful that all drummers would utilize it in their playing. Over the years I have been fortunate enough to teach it all over the world and release a book/CD and videos (1999 and 2014). Have you learned this technique? If so, where and how? With the onset of YouTube in the early days, it was tough to keep people from posting clinics or performances. I would love to know everyone's view point on where this technique came from. I have my own stance on this topic, but really am trying to get to the bottom of what the drumming public thinks. I hope everyone is doing great and all the best with your drumming!

-Johnny Rabb

While I have no contributions to your post, I do want to say... Holy crap, it's Johnny fn Rabb!

It's an honor and a privilege to have you here sir. You're amazing.

Welcome Johnny to the forum! It's an honour to have you here!
(And it was a pleasure to witness your performance with Dirk Brand at the Karlsruhe Trommeltage in late 2013.)

(I was hoping that new registering member would be the real Johnny Rabb - yes!)

While I haven't checked all the particulars related to this technique, the consensus on this forum is that Jared Falk wrongly claimed that he was the inventor of this technique a few years ago. He made an ass of himself as a result. To my knowledge you are 'officially' considered the inventor of the freehand technique. And most everybody agrees.

OMG JOHNNY RABB!!
I met you on the Musicmesse @ Musik Produktiv a few years ago.. Still have your autograph :) You're a great guy and a phenomenal drummer!!

I have started practicing your technique after I met you but somehow I gave up on it as I don't have any purpose for it...

from the metal side of things, I've tried it out in the "gravity blast" context as we tend to call it. I found I couldn't get enough power, so I haven't really used it in the last few years, and I've grown away from wanting to. Still, really good to know about, and have the option there.

Being a bottom feeder player, I have nothing constructive to say about freehand technique, but wanted to add to everyone's huge pleasure in welcoming you to the forum. Completely in love with your playing.

Are you still working with/in touch with Gary? (WACD).

Fondest regards,

Andy (Guru drums - ask Gary :)

Have you learned this technique? If so, where and how?

I use this technique. I learned it in either 1999 or 2000 from John Longstreth, drummer for Origin. Being out of the band loop, it is purely for my own entertainment. I have experimented with different grips, fulcrum locations, and locations on the drum to rock the stick. While it is quite versatile and forgiving once you get the hang of it, I don't really see it having much of a place in a band other than metal.

I didn't realize this technique was 20 years old. As I said, I learned it from John Longstreth, and he learned it from George Fluke, Origins original drummer. Where George got it from have no idea, but Origin was my first exposure to it.

EDIT: What inspired this technique? Was it accidental, intentional, out of necessity? Just curious.

Last edited:
Wow! Welcome to the forum, great to have you!!

I think first you'll have to deal with a bunch of fanboys before you can read any answer
on the topic, LOL :).

As for me: I haven't learned the technique yet unfortunately, as there are things of more
importance for my playing to practice at the moment. But I sure love your playing, and
the way you incorporate the freehand technique! To me your playing is so "humorous",
I feel joy and "good energy" through your playing actually.

I do have your drum'n bass book though, and I think it's awesome! There are tons of
ideas for getting creative myself, and I've used it for several students of mine.

Keep up the good drumming and teaching work!

Yo Johnny, Hey my brotha.

For me, you were the one who "coined the term".

Although, the first time I actually saw it being used was Kenwood Dennard (if my timeline is correct).

Harder to remember as I get older. haha.

D

The last time I considered learning the freehand technique I likened it to playing double strokes on the double bass pedal - a little bit gimmicky for alot of effort.

Now I'm kind of interested though.

I have no idea where it came from but I saw you doing it first in a youtube video years ago.

Welcome to the group Sir. I met you at a Clinic at Seminole Music and Sound here in Seminole Florida. My son saw you play and proclaimed you his new favorite drummer. I said hey, and he just chuckled. I guess number two isn't bad. again welcome.

Hi Johnny and welcome! I think I first saw it mentioned in your book "Jungle / Drum 'n' Bass" --- highly recommended for anyone interested in that style. I dabbled with it for a bit, but never really found a good use for it in my playing.

Johnny, much respect. I met you WFD years ago and you were cool and an amazing performer as well.

Im 46 and I can always remember the "one-handed roll" as being this mythical thing that only guys like Morello could do. But I never actually saw anyone do anything that I would consider fast enough to be a roll until the Freehand technique came out.

Maybe others have done it first (Kenwood Dennard?) but any serious drummer knows that Johnny Rabb is the "Freehand Technique" guy. The Jared Falks of the world can F-off.

Little more info on Johnny: He was the first "WFD". The first person ever to break 1000 in a minute on the drumometer. Badass.

I was taught the basics of this technique in my first lesson with my new teacher about three weeks ago, and struggled to grasp it at the time. I was interested in it though, and did my own research and found myself having a great time with it.

As much fun as I have with the technique, I've yet to find a use for it outside of contemporary-type solos and the type of metal that I really don't want to play. I'm interested to know what uses other people have found for it.

Wow! I actually owe a lot too you sir for my progression in drumming as a teenager. Im 25 and have been playing for 15 years.

When I was 16 I hit a real brick wall in my skill level and was starting to fall behind the other cool drummers at school (drummer popularity). Eventually after searching for a long time on youtube for different lessons and techniques I obviously came across one of your clinics and was astounded at the speed and control of this witch craft. "It's impossible, no man can ever do this" I thought. Then you compared it too a handshake and it all clicked. Bam! I was impressing friends and making the other drummers jealous of something I never thought I could do. Now, as a musician this all sounds very egotistical and stupid, but as a 16 year old loser music student, it was everything. Once that was figured out I found the "Johnny Rabb 30 Days to Faster Hands" trailer. I put that on repeat and worked my hands everyday until I had the fastest hands in school. I have to thank these videos though. It got my confidence and speed up so much I went on to win the Grade 12 percussion award and many paid jobs in drumming up to today. I cant say FreeHand is something I involve in shows but its a cool technique to play around with and raise some eyebrows.

Thanks Johnny Rabb!

Hey, I got a signed photo of you my prof gave me back in 2008 when you were at PASIC.

I first heard of the technique through your book Jungle/Drum and Bass. The next time I remember hearing it was in Jojo Mayer's DVD Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer. He referenced the different names people gave to the technique and possibly referenced you and others by name (I forget at this moment).

I prefer your method of teaching it though.

Hi again everyone!

Thanks so much for your honest replies to the question. I really appreciate the feedback. The reason I ask is simply for how many opinions there are about this topic. Derek Roddy (my friend) responded with a good point. I first saw Kenwood doing a one-handed roll in his VHS video called Just Advance. From there, I developed a system that would allow both hands to play any rhythm independently and add another technique to my playing. I have always given Kenwood credit for the inspiration and have even spoken to him on the phone regarding the Freehand, etc. Jojo has always been fantastic about crediting or promoting the Freehand. His DVD is killer and the same with Derek's. Derek actually is featured in my video demonstrating Freehand Blast Beats. I love Derek and Jojo's playing like you could not believe. Anyhow, I guess the tough thing for me is that due to the huge impact of YouTube and all we can access on the internet, I feel like sharing this info. Yes, in the past I did feel very much taken from and money was gained on my exact video and technique. I know there are many people that have there own opinions and I am not going to slam anyone. At the end of the day, the hardest thing is to know the history and see/hear so many folks with the wrong information. Derek has heard my frustrations and I appreciate you all taking the time to comment like you did. Also, I absolutely think the Freehand is not the end all technique for drumming. I grew up playing, jazz, funk, rock, fusion, electro and more. I love all styles of music and continue to grow as a musician daily. I love this site as well. I met Bernhard near the beginning of Drummworld's launch. He is such a great person and down to earth good human being. Have a great one everybody! Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Johnny! I've found out about you just recently, and I thought to myself, "How have I been able to miss this guy for so long!?" Truly phenomenal playing.

My first encounter with the free hand technique was likely through youtube a couple of years ago, but I mostly saw it as quite gimmicky with no real value in "normal playing", due to its difficulty. However, seeing how you use the technique completely blew my mind, I didn't really think one could achieve such precision and power.

For my own part, having played drums no longer than 7-8 years, I feel like I have other things to work on primarily, but I will surely work on learning the technique in the future. How long, would you say, did it take you to be able to efficiently use it in a musical context?

Hey Johnny,
First time I head of it was through your book/DVD in Y2K probably. After reading the book and seeing the videos, I heard, through the web, of Kenwood Dennard doing it first. I would have to think that you brought it to more folks attention though.

It still amazes me how you throw that technique into a musical setting so effortlessly.

Back