Gene Hoglan

Re: Gene Hoglan: The Atomic Clock

My general theory is never to judge someone based on one bad experience. Especially with the wealth of awesome-ness outside of it.

I'm also surprised to hear that he's been guitar'ing lately, since I've not heard anything of that sort myself.

My general theory is never to judge someone based on one bad experience. Especially with the wealth of awesome-ness outside of it.

Yep, Fair call. I was pretty excited about seeing him, and don't get me wrong, he's an amazing player, I was listening to Zen off Alien just yesterday freaking out at his chops... It was just a touch disappointing in the end. Hopefully it motivated a bunch of kids in there anyway.

Yep, Fair call. I was pretty excited about seeing him, and don't get me wrong, he's an amazing player, I was listening to Zen off Alien just yesterday freaking out at his chops... It was just a touch disappointing in the end. Hopefully it motivated a bunch of kids in there anyway.

No doubt. I'd be pretty ticked off if I finally made it out to a clinic and he was dragging his feet. I only said that in the hopes that it didn't completely sour you on the guy, y'know?

could see him being a bit tired and making a few mistakes considering hes in damn near every metal there is right now lol. guys a workaholic and a really down to earth fellow.

btw if you havent had the chance to check out the new fear factory album "mechanize" i highly recommend it, genes drumming on it is phenominal.

I love Gene's playing with Death and SYL, but I went to see that cartoon band he plays with, and was completely underwhelmed. He looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there, and his playing was devoid of any kind of energy. Maybe my expectations were too high, but man... He set the bar really low. Of course, he was playing cartoon metal music, with the cartoon playing on a big screen above the band, so maybe he thought he just needed to "get by" since all the punters were watching the images on the screen.

Just wondering if anyone listens to him, some cool staccato beats and grooves on the new Fear Factory album.

He has done some fantastic drumming with Townsend as well, I'll have to find some links when I have more time.

I admire his drumming in Strapping Young Lad.

I don't even listen to metal that much, but for some reason Strapping Young Lad really gets me going!

I hear ya, regular john.

SYL's "Alien" is the only CD I've ever become frightened of listening for the first time. That and "The New Black" are just awesome.

Gene's a monster.

I hear ya, regular john.

SYL's "Alien" is the only CD I've ever become frightened of listening for the first time. That and "The New Black" are just awesome.

Gene's a monster.

Agreed, he gets around a fair bit as well, he appears on a lot of different projects.

Found a pretty cool video of him improvising a drum solo live due to technical difficulties,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEyEYN9ij3s

I love his style when he recorded with Death. Very cooool.

+1. Symbolic and ITP are the only hoglan CDs that I have (I think, maybe one of the newer Fear Factory CDs that I have is Hoglan). I still prefer Human (Reinert) tho (probably the first death metal CD I ever got into).

Been admiring Gene's drumming since his day's in Dark Angel back in the 80's. Considered him the next best thing to Dave Lombardo back then.

Been admiring Gene's drumming since his day's in Dark Angel back in the 80's. Considered him the next best thing to Dave Lombardo back then.

I like Lombardo, I don't love Lombardo. He deserves praise, but a lot of casual metal fans consider him the greatest drummer of all time. He is good, he pioneered a few things, but kids calling him the best metal drummer of all time is quite a stretch. Pete Sandoval played in the same period, but much better if you ask me, not many people bring him up when you mention pioneering metal drummers.

Hoglan-symbolic and itp are my favorite albums. im not a big syl fan. pete is amazing too bad he isnt going to be on the new album, back surgery.

Hoglan-symbolic and itp are my favorite albums. im not a big syl fan. pete is amazing too bad he isnt going to be on the new album, back surgery.

Yeah, Morbid are touring here in a few weeks without him, it is a shame but I will be going anyway, they are a classic band and criminally under-rated.

Back on topic, does anyone own Gene Hoglan's instructional dvd the atomic clock? I have only seen snippets of it on you-tube which are more focused on showing off his playing.

Death- individual thought patterns

"overactive imagination," or anything on that album. His stuff with Dark Angel is great too.

Not a big fear factory fan.

SYL: ok, some good parts, not my cup of tea, but great drum parts.

Weights, steel toes and fast playing= gene hoglan.

i didn't notice right away I already responded.

No I don't have his dvd, but I am sure it is good from what I have seen.

Last edited:
Back