Ludwig P88ac Question

Mustion

Hi all,

I recently rehabbed a '76 Acrolite which is a fantastic snare... except for that wart on the side called a P85. I put off replacing it but the last straw was a few nights ago at practice a snare cord snapped, and I was stuck with a double-headed timbale for the rest of the night because even though I had a couple drum keys I had no screwdriver on me for this one piece of equipment. Silly drummer carrying drum-specific tools!

Anyway I would REALLY love to support Josh and get an iNDE throw but I intend to replace the butt plate as well and the vertical spacing=drilling the drum, a no-go. So that leaves me with the new Ludwig P88ac. But frustratingly, early reviews report that despite having two sets of holes to accommodate P33 and P32 spacing, the new model is for some reason only threaded for the P33... Acros use a P32 so again my butt is out in the cold (pun intended)

My question is, does anybody know if Ludwig has fixed this problem in subsequent batches since the initial release? I imagine the P32-specific holes can be tapped but that's kind of ridiculous to expect the customer to put out money and/or work to do and possibly mess it up.

Alternately, any idea if iNDE plans to offer a conventional horizontally-spaced version? Or is there another off-brand alternative out there matching P32 spacing? I've had enough of these tiny easily stripped screws, not being able to use a strap, and having to use three hands just to engage the wires...

My question is, does anybody know if Ludwig has fixed this problem in subsequent batches since the initial release? I imagine the P32-specific holes can be tapped but that's kind of ridiculous to expect the customer to put out money and/or work to do and possibly mess it up.
The last I heard, Ludwig stated they were not going to change it. And as much as I agree with you about it being ridiculous, the tapping mod is straightforward and one I decided to do rather than looking for an alternative. It's a solid throw-off and butt, and clean replacement otherwise.

The original plan was to tap both sets of holes on the new butt, which was a smart idea. I don't know why they later decided to not do that.

I'd also recommend tapping it yourself.

Bermuda

Thanks for the replies,

Looks like it's a trip to to Harbor Freight, guess it's time I get a tap&die set anyway... Unthreaded holes aside, what are the general reviews of the P88ac?

Still quite annoying, and a bit arrogant, of Ludwig.

...what are the general reviews of the P88ac?

Still quite annoying, and a bit arrogant, of Ludwig.

The throw is great, a clear improvement over the previous updated model where the lever was too short, and the knob locked so well, the tension couldn't be adjusted while engaged. They fixed both issues perfectly.

I recall now that there was a reason they didn't tap all the holes, something about the 2 sets actually not covering all the hole spacing after all. Rather than try to make promote it as universal when it actually wasn't, they went with the more recent spacing. I'm not sure how long that's been used.

Bermuda

The throw is great, a clear improvement over the previous updated model where the lever was too short, and the knob locked so well, the tension couldn't be adjusted while engaged. They fixed both issues perfectly.

I recall now that there was a reason they didn't tap all the holes, something about the 2 sets actually not covering all the hole spacing after all. Rather than try to make promote it as universal when it actually wasn't, they went with the more recent spacing. I'm not sure how long that's been used.

Bermuda

Uli from Ludwig said it was due to variations in the P-32 hole spacings.

Bermuda

Thanks for the review. I might just take the gamble and try it out anyway, hoping the hole spacing fits that of my Acro.

SB: Bermuda, this past spring I bought a concert tom kit, a 1970s Slingerland 58N Pop Kit... all single headed, down to the kick, lovingly rehabbed and modded to modernity by its previous owner. Your website came in very useful regarding head choices and general info and assuring one and all (i.e. myself) that concert toms are still worthy despite years of stigmatization! Anyway, it's not quite as bombastic as the uberkits photographed by your pool but it's still a handsome example of a concert tom setup. I'll send pics if interested...

Back