Trying to put a module into my Yamaha DD-65 e-drum kit

presence

Hi, I'm a bit confused, since I don't know much about the topic, so that's why I'm asking to you guys.

Short story: I have an electronic pad percusion, it's a Yamaha DD-65, I'm planning to get more party from this, so adding a pair of extra pads in the future, so I've been thinking in adding a module from another Yamaha e-drum kit, the Yamaha DTX500 module to the Yamaha DD-65, I don't know if it's possible or not to connect that module to my Yamaha percusion, and how I should do it. I will add some photos of the connectors of both, so it's clear to you the possibilities.

Yamaha DD-65:
826546_800.jpg

Yamaha DTX500 Module:
yamaha-dtx500_2.jpg

Looking forward for your help,
¡Thank you!

Last edited:
It's not clear exactly what you're trying to do, but here's a little info.

You have to hook pads up to the dtx500 for it to work. It also has midi out, but no midi in.
So I think you could hook pads up to your 500 and then use its midi out to trigger more sounds from the dd65, which has midi in.

The midi out on your dd65 can be used to trigger another module that has midi in, or to input midi data into a computer. The computer needs some type of midi interface though.

You can't trigger other sounds inside the dtx500 besides using pads because it has no midi in.

Hi wildbill,
What I'm trying to do is simply like; Adding a module to the Yamaha percusion pad so I can have more Pads, and realism in it.

Ok, for the moment we can forget about the sounds, since I'll be using a software in the PC and not the midi sounds from the digital drums/module (I don't like them). The important point here is to have more pads. Well, I'm thinking more in the new DTX502 module rather, instead of the DTX500. Since the DTX502 have USB connection so I can have direct connection to the PC without complicate much about the Midi IN thing (?), so what are the possibilities with this one? All I need is that my Yamaha DD65 running together with the module and to be able to use it as a whole with my PC.
Here's some pictures of the DTX502 model;
rsz_1rsz_502dtx.jpg

yamaha-dtx-502-drum-module.jpg

http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/drums/el-drums/trigger-modules/dtx502/

In the worst case scenario I'll build my own e-drum kit from this module, but I want to exhaust all possibilities before spending more money.

Thank you!

It's not clear exactly what you're trying to do, but here's a little info.

You have to hook pads up to the dtx500 for it to work. It also has midi out, but no midi in.
So I think you could hook pads up to your 500 and then use its midi out to trigger more sounds from the dd65, which has midi in.

The midi out on your dd65 can be used to trigger another module that has midi in, or to input midi data into a computer. The computer needs some type of midi interface though.

You can't trigger other sounds inside the dtx500 besides using pads because it has no midi in.

Last edited:
Another option to consider is the DTX Multi-12 which would be a good compromise for connecting to your DD-65 and providing extra pads (plus an external 3-zone snare pad). The M-12 has Midi In & Out and can be connected to your computer to trigger software drum sounds. As Wildbill explained you will have to connect the Midi Out of one unit (DD-65 or Multi-12) to the Midi In of the other and add a USB-Midi interface to the computer. For some useful midi info check page 30 of the DD-65 manual and this link: http://www.midi.org/aboutmidi/intromidi.pdf
The preset drum kits of the Multi-12 can be tweaked to sound better (with 200 user kits), and to mix its audio output with the DD-65's just connect Phones Out of one unit to the Aux In of the other and feed it's output to your amp or headphones.

Good luck with your module choice.

The DTX-500 and DTX-502 do not have MIDI in. Surprisingly your DD-65 has a MIDI out but the least expensive Yamaha module that has a MIDI in is the wonderful, but expensive DTX-700.

I am assuming you are on a tight budget, and that is the only reason you are putting up with the DD-65 which is essentially a toy. Your least expensive route, assuming you have a computer, might be to get a MIDI-USB interface cable and trigger VSTs on your computer.

But if you want to enjoy drumming a bit more, get a Yamaha kit, or a DTX-Multi12 plus pedals, which are real gear for musicians. The DD-65 is not designed as a serious instrument.

I've had couple DD55's in the past, and they sound as good as whatever you run them into with the midi out.

With a synth module with drum sounds, or sampled drums in a computer they sound good. The stock sounds are not so good, but IMO, acceptable for what those units cost.

The biggest issue is probably the size of the pads. The smaller pads are about 3 inches across, if I remember right, and require a bit of precision when you get flying.

I'm surprised to see that Yamaha has dropped the midi out connector on the 502. I suppose it's to be expected with all the usb stuff nowadays, but disappointing for me because I usually use regular midi ports to trigger synth modules from pads.

presence - what do you have now? If you just have the dd65, I'd say instead of buying another module and pads, maybe you should consider selling the DD65 and picking up a Yamaha Multi-12 unit.
Probably come out close to the same cost when all is said and done.
For a few more bucks for pedals, you could have a setup something like this:

11025_12075_1.jpg

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...n/muilti_pads/dtx-m12/dtx-multi12/?mode=model

Hi guys,

The thing does not seem as easy as I thought. Well, I'm currently using a VST through the MIDI-USB to PC with the Yamaha DD-65, and I get a decent sound, so it's not really the problem, the thing was that I got bored of playing in such small pads, and I really wanted to add more realism in it but without get out much of the budget. But my great problem is that I live in a department now and as you may know, I cannot afford to got a big drum kit, do not have much space. So I'm between both worlds, of go ahead with what I have now or build my own e-drum kit from a module (probably the Yamaha DTX502) although it does not have the MIDI OUT, is not a big deal, since I will be using a VST anyway. And yeah, my budget is pretty tight. The Yamaha Multi-12, is good idea, and I will think about it. The DTX700 would be awesome, but quite expensive for me right now.

Right now I lean more, as I said above, buying the Yamaha DTX502 module, get an e-drum rack (yamaha if possible), some pads and ready to play. I already have bass drum pedal, and kick Pad, also from Yamaha I got a few years ago. So I think, if i build my own e-drum kit I'm nearly there. What do you think on this?

Thank you!

....Right now I lean more, as I said above, buying the Yamaha DTX502 module, get an e-drum rack (yamaha if possible), some pads and ready to play. I already have bass drum pedal, and kick Pad, also from Yamaha I got a few years ago. So I think, if i build my own e-drum kit I'm nearly there. What do you think on this?

Thank you!

Have you actually priced out your idea?
Just a module and rack (no pads, cymbals, cables or pedals) is $449 from this place: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=967515&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I still think it'd be less expensive to sell or trade your dd65 towards an M12. All the used M12's I've seen go for around $500 - subtract what you'd get for your dd65 from that.

Also - you've got 8 pads on your dd65. How many did you want to have in total?

Last edited:
Have you actually priced out your idea?
Just a module and rack (no pads, cymbals, cables or pedals) is $449 from this place: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=967515&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I still think it'd be less expensive to sell or trade your dd65 towards an M12. All the used M12's I've seen go for around $500 - subtract what you'd get for your dd65 from that.

Also - you've got 8 pads on your dd65. How many did you want to have in total?

I would be satisfied even with a total of 6 Pads (excluding hi hat), but the point is having a bit more of space for playing, thus making the drumming more comfortable.

Yes, I did calculated the total quickly, and I got a total of $1,210 approx. for everything I want. I know it's not actually little money, but I think it may be worth after all.

I've moved away from the initial idea I had in the first post, why? because if I calculate the price of buying the M12 + let's say 3 pads of good quality the price also rises quite as well, and I still think I will not be as content as making my own e-drum kit from zero. What would you like to add? some recommendation?, I'm open to your suggestions, I mainly want to do it for myself for the limited space I dispose.

Thank you!

Hey guys,

Yeah, I definitely think it's best option for me at the moment to mount it by myself, Yeah I aspire to something like the DTX502k yamaha's kit. I'll take a look at that forum Hansolo, thanks!

Back