Why $5,000??

It is old.

A true K. Zildjian from that time would have been made in Turkey, and not in North America.

Old K's are highly sought after by jazz drummers.

An old intact cymbal with no key holing and no cracks is extremely rare.

However, despite all that, I seriously doubt it is worth even close to $5000.

Remember, just because that is asking price does not determine it's worth. It is only worth that much is someone actually buys it. My guess is no one will buy it at that price.

People listing items on Ebay for way more than anyone would be willing to actually buy it for is fairly common.

Old K's fetch a lot of money, although the seller is asking almost 4x what it would normally sell for (and IMO, about 10x what it's worth.)

I have more than a few cymbals (683 as of this moment) and not a single old K among them. I'm just not a fan, and even a 'good' price on a K seems outrageous to me.

Bermuda

It would probably be even rarer still if it sounded good. Remember, quality control on the old K's was something to be hoped for. Every article I've ever read about the cats playing old K's always referred to how much searching they had to do before they found the right one. Maybe this one is cool and it does sound good, there's no way to know unless you get to try it out first. Frankly, you'd be better off with a Constantinople K instead and save the $5,000 (considering the Buy It Now price of $5600 + $39 for shipping).

It would probably be even rarer still if it sounded good. Remember, quality control on the old K's was something to be hoped for. Every article I've ever read about the cats playing old K's always referred to how much searching they had to do before they found the right one. Maybe this one is cool and it does sound good, there's no way to know unless you get to try it out first. Frankly, you'd be better off with a Constantinople K instead and save the $5,000 (considering the Buy It Now price of $5600 + $39 for shipping).

Or buy a stack of Istanbuls, play ten of them and put the rest in a cupboard for fifty years.

Every article I've ever read about the cats playing old K's always referred to how much searching they had to do before they found the right one.

Yep. There must be reams of bad old Ks floating around, unless they got sold as scrap. It seems like the only way this cymbal would be worth that kind of bread is if it was used on Four & More or something.

683?! Is that some kind of sick joke?!

Well, when you've played on albums that total some 12 million or so in sales, I guess one can afford a few extra cymbals.

I still say the sick part is he won't sell of any of the ones he doesn't use anymore to the rest of us. :p

Old K's fetch a lot of money, although the seller is asking almost 4x what it would normally sell for (and IMO, about 10x what it's worth.)

Thanks. I was thinking the seller might get around $1000 or $1200, but I wasn't sure.

But like Bo said, you could buy a new Constantinople K for $600 to get the same sound (or any of the numerous Turkish cymbal makers).

Well, when you've played on albums that total some 12 million or so in sales, I guess one can afford a few extra cymbals.

I still say the sick part is he won't sell of any of the ones he doesn't use anymore to the rest of us. :p

Yeah, but it'd be like that scene in Back to School when Rodney Dangerfield says: "Why you buyin' used books? They've already been read!" ;)

People put things on eBay for crazy prices frequently to see if someone will bite.
The only way that that cymbal would be worth that much is if say Buddy had played it at his last public performance or something like that.

There are other cymbals in the world that sound just as good for normal prices.

Ouah! You have the right to brag, my friend.
Could you give some to a fifteen year old Swedish boy, who has to buy cymbals which costs three - four times as much as they do in the United States. Poor me...

Saw a old K here in Sweden once. He wanted 1500 dollar. I think that it even had a keyhole.

Back