urrgh what im a gona do

Njdrumma

I just joined a metalcore band today at school and iv been playing with my other band for a while and now i need a double bass pedal and more cymbals. I Would usually borrow the equipment from my drummer friend but now i cant any more. My parents wont buy the equipment for me so im pretty much squrewed now. All i have is a pearl session custom five piece with hi hats, ride cymbal and crash so its pretty basic. Any suggestions???

Take advice from the offspring. Why don't you get a job?

Make the best of what you've got until you find a way to work odd jobs.
Work, Save the cash, Buy what you want and need!
That's what I did when I was young. It worked for me.

1) As mentioned, you do what the rest of us did: get a job, save money, and buy more gear.

However:

2) A lot of extra gear isn't necessarily to play well. Any band is going to prefer the guy who nails all the parts with a great feel over the guy who has extra cymbals.

While I get that it is difficult to play any modern metal without a double pedal/double bass, keep in mind Iron Maiden has been playing metal for years without double bass.
And I've read stories of guys who have managed to make due by playing patterns between one bass drum and a floor tom to simulare double bass. I recall Charlie Benante of Anthrax saying he that in his early days.

Having lots of extra stuff is nice, but it's not necessary to be in a band and play music.

So, there you have the answer. Start by getting a job. Look for deals on double pedals.
Where do you live? I have a Tama double pedal from the late 80s that I only played a bit. (maybe five hours or less) It is in perfect condition. I don't use a double pedal for the music that I play. I bought it new and I found that the double pedal wasn't for me.
PM me if you are interested, Im gonna let it go for a good price.

perhaps i am missing something, but doesnt a double peddle need practice to get it smooth and fast?? If you have not got one how long is it going to take you to fit it into your playing?? If you are joining a new band would it not be better to concentrate on tightening and speeding up your current techniques.

i'd say just keep playing with what you've got for now and keep your eye on craigslist and ebay for used cymbals and double pedals. you can find some great deals if you look around. a new double pedal can cost hundreds of dollars, but i've seen what appeared to be usable double pedals on ebay for under $100.

Back