Aquarian Performance II vs Evans G2

nlBurgett94

I recently bought a Tama Rockstar 6pc 12/14/16/18/24 specs.

I don't want Remo ANYTHING, and I was planning on going with Aquarian heads as I did on my Gretsch Catalina but my friend's toms have the sound that is about what I am looking for by using coated G2's. (meh, coated) He also has to use RemO's to dampen the overtones. Should I keep looking at getting Performance II's or get Clear G2's to eliminate that plastic sound you get out of the coated heads?

I would also like what reso head would go best with each choice respectively. Thanks!

I have attached a picture of my newest baby for all to take a look at. The picture is outdated as compared to the arrangement I have now, but it will do.

Attachments

• 216847_1992627738351_1323134194_2404675_808179_n.jpg
    216847_1992627738351_1323134194_2404675_808179_n.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,452
my starclassic came with G2's, and i have performance 2s on them now... they're completely different tones......

i like the performance 2's A LOT more.

I liked my Performance II's back when I had my Gretsch too, I just needed to get some reassurance on how it would sound on my Tama. Just for a bit more detail, what is your playing style? And do you have any suggestions for reso heads? I used black high-frequency on my gretsch.

Performance Vs G2 is like comparing Apple and Orange, they are completely different heads.

Both are two ply but here stop the comparison, the Performance II are like the Evans G2 with Rem-O-Ring over them...

Closer match to G2 is Response II and for little bit more tone & sustain, Look for the Aquarian Super 2.

Performance Vs G2 is like comparing Apple and Orange, they are completely different heads.

Both are two ply but here stop the comparison, the Performance II are like the Evans G2 with Rem-O-Ring over them...

Closer match to G2 is Response II and for little bit more tone & sustain, Look for the Aquarian Super 2.

He is right. By the way Aquarian Super 2's are incredible, I have the clears, no plasticky sound whatsoever, they are actually warm sounding (go figure) tune em low or tune em high it doesn't matter they will sound awesome. I've also heard that the coated version are great too.

I liked my Performance II's back when I had my Gretsch too, I just needed to get some reassurance on how it would sound on my Tama. Just for a bit more detail, what is your playing style? And do you have any suggestions for reso heads? I used black high-frequency on my gretsch.

im playing a bit of everything. mainly rock/pop rock type stuff with my two current bands

oh also high frequency or classic clears will do the job :)

Performance II's are much like a Hydro or Pinstripe, they give you that loose tuning dead sound. A G2 is more like an Emperor, so in that respect you should try Response 2's from Aquarian. They are much closer to G2's. I use them on my kits, both coated and clear depending on the gig and I stand by them. They out last and hold their tone better than any other head I have ever tried.

Great info! I'm hoping to make the switch as well but getting Aquarian heads in toronto is tough...gotta special order.

Anyway for the former evans users...did you find that these heads just died after a few months? I've gone through 3 different sets trying different tunings but I just find that these heads are not durable. I've switched to remo and prefer them over evans but many have recommended aquarian.

Back