Speeeeed!!

Yes - and usually not only with paradiddles. Accents are a useful guideline to stay on the beat. The more automatized the motions get the more I would just pay attention to the accents, trying to keep any unaccented strokes 'flowing', whether it's singles or doubles. I know that it's common advice to also practice anything unaccented but that's something I do very rarely - and I feel it's hard! At least some accenting is what would typically fit most drumming situations so that's what I'm usually doing - playing at two different levels - accented vs. non-accented notes. To get both categories even isn't easy (in my case, esp. with 2 or several accented notes with my left hand played in quick succession).

I think you don't need to have any more than those 2 levels - but should be able to adjust them across the dynamic range. But the 'ratio' between accented vs. unaccented notes would stay about the same.

I understand the purpose of this thread but I must admit that I find myself outside looking in. I really have no idea how fast I am in BPM (short of working on some sheet music). I always felt that I needed to be just slightly faster than the fastest thing I needed to play and that would be sufficient. Maybe I'll have to start looking at some of these things when I get time.

Of course, on the other hand I can tell you all of my fastest running road course race times to the second. Nobody really cares how clean you look or how nice your form is so long as you cross the tape first!

I understand the purpose of this thread but I must admit that I find myself outside looking in. I really have no idea how fast I am in BPM (short of working on some sheet music). I always felt that I needed to be just slightly faster than the fastest thing I needed to play and that would be sufficient. Maybe I'll have to start looking at some of these things when I get time.

Of course, on the other hand I can tell you all of my fastest running road course race times to the second. Nobody really cares how clean you look or how nice your form is so long as you cross the tape first!

Everyone has their interests. Some people run because it's good for them and hate it. Some people run because they truly love how calming and zen like it can be. Still others love to sprint and record how fast they got each day.

I'm with you. Seeing how fast I can play (or run for that matter) seems a bit clinical to my head... And I often play really fast punk stuff, so it's not like it doesn't happen, I just have no idea or care what my top speeds are.

All this talk of measurement has given me an idea for a project for my students, namely a drum meter. Not too fancy, just a simple 7 segment LED display for results. I'm thinking of something that would have a couple of different functions: 1. Total count for strikes so far (untimed), 2. Total strikes for a timed minute where the minute starts at your first strike, 3. A running average strikes per minute. I'm thinking you'd just plug a pad into it (like a Roland PD8) and a wall-wart or batteries to run it. It would be based on the inexpensive and popular Arduino Uno controller board. I would publish the design and associated program code. The board is around $25-$30 plus maybe another $10 in electronic parts. The meters I've seen are around $120-$140 street price, although this would not have as many features.

Does this sound useful to anyone?

I wouldn't have any need for this thing. (Others might though.)

I have a metronome, some MP3 click tracks and then, there's countless videos across the internet with various rudiments/patterns (hands, feet, both) across a huge speed range. Knowing what speed I can play along to, or for what period of time, lets me calculate everything I'd like to know. And it's not that much. Most imporant: CAN I play something specific at tempo x? If so, I'll notice it. If not -> practice. Some specific device wouldn't help me getting anywhere any sooner than without. It might even be an obsolete distraction.

Just watched this...
Hybrid Rudiment: "The Horsey" by Bill Bachman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkqfHFPwFEs&feature=youtu.be
...from my Vic Firth facebook feed.

1st thought: Wow, this is so cool! 2nd thought: Man, this will take quite some time to learn (wasn't familiar with that pattern yet). 20 minutes later I'm @ 110 bpm (started @ 80 bpm) - playing for a few bars, then doing the lead hand switch with a paradiddle, then repeating that rudiment off of my other hand etc. Actually, the left hand lead part feels a bit easier - I guess that's because my R hand diddles are better/easier than playing them with my L hand.

Just a quick example for having some basic vocabulary helps greatly for learning new stuff - because often times you're simply rearranging them and the bits and pieces are already there.

Why don't you just post the video, would love to see the guitar action too......
They deleted my other post, so this one will probably be gone soon....lol

Why was your post deleted? Was it in this thread?
Feel free to contribute something to this thread.

As for shooting videos - I'm simply terrible at this. I'm lacking experience and it frustrates me to first find a useable camera perspective, then catch a moment where I wouldn't play complete BS, then wonder what format the recording would be in and what I might have to do to get it from the camera to the PC and on YouTube eventually. I know this is ridiculous, but sometimes minor things are.

I find it easier to modify instruments - like optimizing string action on an Ovation acoustic (for a fellow muso - that thing had horrific action from stock, how could he play on that thing) or my current project: 6-string bass, stripping the finish, reducing neck width, oiling/repolishing the fretboard, making a wood truss rod and electric cavity cover to replace those ugly plastic covers, gluing a flame maple veneer to the headstock, staining, resanding etc - haven't finished this yet).

I wanted to do some videos anyway if it wasn't for that lack of experience and frustration. Will use the Ludwig P4 pad this time, it's nice for sound/accent separation.

As for that guitar action, do you mean those 22.2 notes per second? That was probably 18 years ago, I'm not that fast any more. I'd have to practice like a madman for weeks if not months to get back there again. In fact, I've been neglecting guitar a lot once I got into drumming. This has shifted a bit recently because I'm in 3 bands now, being the bassist in 2 and the lead guitarist in another. So that made me practice again but not technique - I've been learning (cover) songs instead.

Here's some faster sweeping arpeggio stuff @ around 2.00 and 3.20.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCC0NBb1S3k&feature=youtu.be

Here's all the drum videos that I made so far:

Paradiddle @ 240/250. Admittedly, it's sloppy and I'm using a lot of rebound. The speed would be around 220-230 nowadays for a cleaner version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lLnneuJUM8&feature=relmfu

Heel up/singles on the double pedal @ 240/250. No further speed progress in the meantime but the overall control has improved.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnGNok9SHsM

And the most recent one - hands improv on the snare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L45_tP9DhXk

Can't wait for the video !! I'm poppin the popcorn, and chillin the beer ;-)
I hope the popcorn is GMO free ;-)

Here it is - The Horsey @ 110, 120, 130...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taD3lZB37Rw&feature=youtu.be

I think I'll do a couple other demos but I have to check out what stuff I can do at what specific speed. I did some experimenting today - most of the time I would either practice along to Bill Bachman's videos - those are played to a strict click - or just go by feel and play at whatever tempo feels 'right'. I noticed that when sticking to one specific click it's hard to mix up stuff tough because some things would be easier and some things - you guessed it, harder ;-) Going up/down the time pyramid doesn't always help if the difference is too big (I'm skipping the 5, 7 subdivisions for now).

You know what, I have a serious gap in education because I haven't watched a single Cheech and Chong movie. Plus, I have zero experience with weed ;-)

- - - -

Next hybrid rudiment - the "Double Blue Cheese", from the Vic Firth facebook feed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_1Wzgjavk8

Once again, that one looks hard! Let's see ;-)

Last edited:
Now that Bill Bachman's Drumworkout.com is freely accessible for a full week - try it for yourself, grab a rudiment/pattern, have at it and get back with the bpm's you can hit. (I've created a thread on it - see here.)
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1269378#post1269378

@ Bo
Here's for that 6-stroke roll @ 130 bpm (32nd notes) that I've been talking of - it's in the (12) Gateway Rudiments section, 3rd/last video, highest speed...
http://www.drumworkout.com/workouts/six-stroke-roll-builder/

(Just did that last video again - hmm, not perfect. Have to practice the 6-stroke roll again. But it's WAY easier than in the past and even 130 is doable without too much effort.)

Last edited:
Hi drummers. One thing that I'm possessed with ATM is the flam tap.
(I thought of starting a new thread but why not reviving this one ...)

I'm curious to hear at what speed you're maxing out just to get an understanding of what speed level is "out there" as a reference.
Around 140 bpm is my current limit. Anything beyond is falling apart. Thanks for your replies!

Back