New Sonor S-Classix

Signals

I just received these the other day and haven't had much time to tweak them yet. Sorry for the bad pics, but the camera is 7 years old.

Sonor S Classix in Rosewood
22x17
12x9
14x14
Yamaha Ndugu Chancelor snare

Zildjians
21" Sweet Ride
14" New Beats
17" K Dark Med-Thin
17" A Med-Thin

Yamaha 700 series Hardware
Yamaha Pedal

Attachments

• 1 (Medium).JPG
    1 (Medium).JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 2,039
  • 10 (Medium).JPG
    10 (Medium).JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,913
  • 9 (Medium).JPG
    9 (Medium).JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,886
  • 8 (Medium).JPG
    8 (Medium).JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,854
  • 7 (Medium).JPG
    7 (Medium).JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,965
  • 6 (Medium).JPG
    6 (Medium).JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,906
  • 5 (Medium).JPG
    5 (Medium).JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,899
  • 4 (Medium).JPG
    4 (Medium).JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,930
  • 3 (Medium).JPG
    3 (Medium).JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,897
  • 2 (Medium).JPG
    2 (Medium).JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 2,578
  • 14 (Medium).JPG
    14 (Medium).JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,871
  • 13 (Medium).JPG
    13 (Medium).JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,861
  • 12 (Medium).JPG
    12 (Medium).JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,958
  • 11 (Medium).JPG
    11 (Medium).JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,844
Here's a couple pics of my Yamaha's thrown-in for good measure as I don't believe I've posted any here yet.

Attachments

• 1 (Medium).JPG
    1 (Medium).JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,813
  • 2 (Medium).JPG
    2 (Medium).JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,840
Excellent! But why not go with the maple finish (top left)? How low does that birch kick go, not too bright?

Is that a birch custom yamaha? Which of the two drum sets do you prefer and why?

Attachments

• s_classix_satin_lg.jpg
    s_classix_satin_lg.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 2,735
  • 19454.jpg
    19454.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 2,496
Last edited:
Nice, but why not go with the maple finish? How low does that birch kick go, not too bright?

Is that a birch custom yamaha? Which of the two drum sets do you prefer and why?

Hi,

Regarding the finish, well, I absolutely love the Rosewood, and it's natural. Also, I believe that the maple is an engineered veneer.

I haven't had a chance to play with the S-Classix' tuning as I'm awaiting a shipment of Aquarian Coated Super 2's -- that's what I have on the Yammies and I'd like to hear them on the Sonor's. Once they arrive, I plan to tune the kits the same and compare dynamics, despite the Yammies being maple and having die-cast hoops. It's more or less just to have fun.

That Sonor kit is stunning. I love some of their grain choices. Congrats on the new tubs.

wow that is a deadly finish!

nice set of pies ya got too!

I'll need to see some more pics though....

jk

-Jonathan

I also forgot to mention I like where you have the rack tom. It's not out in left field but close to the snare and the floor tom with in reason. Nice and compact. good show.

All, thanks for the kind words.

GRUNTERSDAD, glad you picked-up on the tom's position. I like the whole kit within easy reach -- nice and "tight."

Wayne, I'm considering as S Classix snare, and that's not a bad price. However, I've also been lusting after the Phil Rudd snare -- it's a lotta drum for the money!

the new Sonor's are real beauties with that dark wood grain finish, enjoy the great new drums, but... i gotta say i just love those Yammies, sweet little red riding hood that kit, gorgeous! two great drum sets man, have fun bangin' away!

A few more pics -- this time in natural light:

Attachments

• 129_2997 (Medium).JPG
    129_2997 (Medium).JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,597
  • 129_2998 (Medium).JPG
    129_2998 (Medium).JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,508
  • 130_3006 (Medium).JPG
    130_3006 (Medium).JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,507
  • 130_3012 (Medium).JPG
    130_3012 (Medium).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,578
Signals, ever since you posted this thread I have been reading my Sonor catalog over and over and looking at the S Classix in this finish. Damn, I was offered a Sonor deal recently and kind of said..........actually I don't remember if I refused? I really want a Delite. I want both. But the company I work with is heavily behind DW, Ludwig and Pearl. (I have a Masterworks, birch toms, mahogany kick) But I want Sonor.

Grrrrrrrrrr

Man your kit is gorgeous!

I want a Delite in Birdseye cherry and another birch kit just like yours.

What to do what to do.......?????

Signals, ever since you posted this thread I have been reading my Sonor catalog over and over and looking at the S Classix in this finish. Damn, I was offered a Sonor deal recently and kind of said..........actually I don't remember if I refused? I really want a Delite. I want both. But the company I work with is heavily behind DW, Ludwig and Pearl. (I have a Masterworks, birch toms, mahogany kick) But I want Sonor.

Grrrrrrrrrr

Man your kit is gorgeous!

I want a Delite in Birdseye cherry and another birch kit just like yours.

What to do what to do.......?????

LOL..that's funny because I always wanted a DW kit!

...a word of caution if you ever get an S Classix in Rosewood -- apparently there's a light and dark version. I had to exchange one drum because it was light while the other 2 drums were dark. Another thing I noticed was that some of the screws inside the drums are brass-colored while others are black.

Here's a pic:

Attachments

That is interesting. How does the quality compare to the Delites?

I have some Delite snares and they are all stunning. But I do wonder about the SC snares with their plastic actions. Is it a more cheaply made kit, or a pro birch kit?

Oh no, it's definitely a high end kit, made in Germany, just like the Delites. The only difference being that the Delites are maple and have re-rings.

Okay, cool. That is what I wanted to know.

Mate, if you are in the US, may I ask what you paid? PM me if you wish. Our dollar is good so I may buy from overseas. Normally I'd buy a bunch of snares, but I really want a couple of Sonor kits. They are very pricey in Australia. You're looking at 5 1/2 grand for a 4 piece Delite shell pack.

Mind you, my Masterworks retailed at about 7. Happily I paid far less due to my Pearl history. But man, Sonor!!!!!!!

Signals,

Does Sonor make a 8x12 tom for the S-Classix?

How do the S-Classix compare to Yamaha Recording Customs, if you know/have played them?

I have a friend who's tried to persuade me into getting an S-Classix, but, if I go birch, I'm tempted to go with the RCs because of the greater variability of tom sizes.

Okay, cool. That is what I wanted to know.

Mate, if you are in the US, may I ask what you paid? PM me if you wish. Our dollar is good so I may buy from overseas. Normally I'd buy a bunch of snares, but I really want a couple of Sonor kits. They are very pricey in Australia. You're looking at 5 1/2 grand for a 4 piece Delite shell pack.

Mind you, my Masterworks retailed at about 7. Happily I paid far less due to my Pearl history. But man, Sonor!!!!!!!

I'm in the US. The kit set me back $1500 off eBay. The seller had it listed for $2000 "Buy it Now" or "Make an Offer." I offered $1500 and he accepted.

Like I said earlier, I had to exchange drums, and the seller was wonderful to work with -- a really great guy. He's an authorized Sonor dealer as well, so I felt very "safe" with the purchase.

Back