Practice Pad Suggestions

jasonjam

I found out today after waiting a month and a half that the P4 practice pad I ordered is unavailable and there is no ETA when they will be available.

Just wondering what practice pads people are using and can recommend. I plan on picking one up tonight.

Thanks,

Jason

I use the Offworld "Invader" as mentioned above and the Aquarian "Tru-Bounce" pad.

I don't have an "Off World Pad" yet, so i can't say. But I personally favor the HQ Real Feel pads. I have found (so far) they they of all the pads that i have (including tru-Bounce, Vic Firth), that they most closely resemble the rebound of a tightly tuned snare drum head. If a practice pad is to "live" (too mcuh rebound), you will just be fooling yourself into thinking that you are perhaps better than you really are, as when you go to play the same way, having gotten used to controlling the rapid rebound from the pad, on your snare drum, you might not be able to play the patterns as well as you have on the springy pad. ... Just my observation. :>)

I have several. A couple of HQ Real Feels, a couple of Vater pads, a few of the old school black rubber pads, the Remo tunable pad. Even a Roland rhythm coach with the mesh head. At the end of the day, they all rebound a stick and none of them feel exactly like a drum head.

Have a play around on a few mate. You'll find they all pretty much do the same thing.

i have used hq real feal, invader, and innovative. the invader are more suited for marcjing snares. but the hq bounces more then a concert snare.. i havent found anything that resembles a concert snare yet.

Thanks everyone. I bought a DW Smart Practice. It has two rubber pads on one side and a soft pad on the flip.

Nice pad... almost like the P4 but not quite.

Back