Do KickPorts work?

joshthedrumkid97

I think, I wanna get one. But rather than waste $90 buying one and it doesnt work, I'd like to know from people who OWN one if they actually make your bassdrum sound better :)

I was thinking of getting one so I asked a very knowledgable drum tech, (that has toured the world with many platinum selling bands and also runs a shop), whether they're worth it or not...he said they're most useful on smaller bass drums, which is why you often see them displayed on 20" bass drums. If you've got a 22" x 18" for example, then you needn't bother with 'em.

That's interesting. I'd guess a porthole will always be a benefit, depending on the target sound and on the precise diameter of the hole (and exact location), compared to the bassdrum size.

To the OP:
A statement like "...bassdrum sound better" is highly subjective. For a reasonable "discussion" one needs to know (IMO):

- What bassdrum do you have currently (make, size, head)?
- How does your bassdrum sound ATM, what is it you don't like?
- What's your preferred sound?

Prior to getting a porthole - did you experiment with dampening/muting?

Myself I like the non ported sound of a kick drum better. I will be picking up a couple of Kelly Shu's to permanently live in my bass drums, with mics attached.

In my opinion, a port hole helps indicate to the sound guy where to put the microphone, lol. More than a sonic influence, a port hole will cause a different feel in pedal rebound. I really believe though that with practice, the correct beater and the tightness of the batter head, the rebound issue can easily be overcome. I have a couple of 22" bass drum resonant heads with small 4" holes burnt into them, but they always sit in their boxes because I prefer the sound of an unported drum.

If you port the head and don't care for its sound and feel, $40 will rectify the situation.

DSC_0211-1-1.jpg

Dennis

I have one on my Gretsch Renown 22 x 18 bass drum and it made a world of difference. My drum is the only one I have heard one on so I can only speak for me. I have a Gretsch logo head, black, on my drum and did not want to put a hole in it to keep it original so I tried it on a Remo White head. It sounded great so I cut a hole in the Gretsch head. No looking back. Buy one. Open the package carefully removing the staples. Try it with out putting the reinforcement ring on and if you don't like it take it back. Putting it back in the carefully opened package and re-stapling the opening. Good luck.

Attachments

• CIMG1447.JPG
    CIMG1447.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 11,113
Last edited:
I forgot to say that I use an EMAD 2 that is just a fraction tighter than Bob Gatzen's "lowest possible pitch/just above wrinkle"...which is also part of the reason that the drum tech told me not to bother as I'm already tuned pretty low.

The ONLY reason to port a drum is if your gonna use an internal mic system. It has nothing to do with drum sizes!! The port gives you quick access if you need to get to the mic and unless you have some really sophisticated outboard gear for controling the mic sound your gonna need a sound release (air) a hell of alot bigger than a gromet hahaha!!!
An internal set up is great if you work alot and its a great convience, I used them for close to 30 yrs. I can't work anymore because of injuries sustained in an accident but the 2 gigs a month I do now are played with a "full" head and an outboard mic. I'm enjoying the tuning of a batter and reso again and the drums have sustain that you can't get with a ported reso head so its pretty nice. Old school was and is a great place to be, especially on drums. Doc

trace a 5" circle with a razor blade, done!!

I added one I got free from work to my 18"x22" Pork Pie maple kick, and got a much boomier sound, with quite a bit of added low end.

The only issue I have, is that certain kick drum mics would not fit well inside the port hole with the kick port in it, due to the scoop of the port - however a D6 will not give you any issues.

Where on earth do these cost 90 bucks? Because I sure wouldn't be shopping there. My local shop sells them for $36 bucks.

in australia they're $80, and to get them from the states its about $40 + $40 shipping, so no win for us here.

in my experience it has made a small difference, but only if you use very minimal muffling, so that the drum can actually sing.

That's interesting. I'd guess a porthole will always be a benefit, depending on the target sound and on the precise diameter of the hole (and exact location), compared to the bassdrum size.

To the OP:
A statement like "...bassdrum sound better" is highly subjective. For a reasonable "discussion" one needs to know (IMO):

- What bassdrum do you have currently (make, size, head)?
- How does your bassdrum sound ATM, what is it you don't like?
- What's your preferred sound?

Prior to getting a porthole - did you experiment with dampening/muting?

my bass drum is a Gretsch Cat maple 18x 22 and im using an Evans EMAD. Right now it isnt loud enough and there is too much attack probably because I cut my reso hole too big. I want a warmer, lower pitched and more boomy sound.

I have a couple of small blankets at the bottom that are resting against both heads

Back