Show us your tiny kits

There you go: a tiny kit!

317hDvI6kqL._SL75_SS50_.jpg

(Couldn't resist, sorry)

Sonor Jungle with a 12" little squealer snare. Great little kit. I don't even play the other kit in the picture (OCDP Newport), so I'm selling it. The Jungle is all I need for what I do.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 18,161
Bob-Da-Druma in the minimal way.

Attachments

• DSC00567.jpg
    DSC00567.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 15,971
Freddie, it's my only kit. In the 70s/80s I had a Rogers four-piece (snare, 22" kick, 13" mounted, 16" floor) with roto toms, hats, ride, crash, crash-ride and a grungy old cymbal someone had thrown away that sounded like a China.

Do you have a small kit you can show us? (drum kit :)

I have four kits that range between 6 - 8 pieces. Sometimes I just set up a snare, kick, and hats for practice.

I'm an old (very old) rock guy.

Interesting set ups folks!

Last edited:
KZ ...

pic#1 - is that a crash sitting on a ride?

pic#2 - two snares? One with snares on, the other with snares off? Cherry kick looks cool.

1 -- it's a junked 16" crash on a 18" Paiste Traditionals thin crash. Together they make a white noise sort of china sound.

2 -- Yes, two snares and a 14" tom, but I had both snares on.. one was ?uestlove-style high in pitch and the other was low like Jeff Porcaro.

I use a 4pc for some genres. This is my dinky setup with a 10" and 12" tom, 13" snare.

I'll probably be changing the hardware setup and adding cymbals on the left side.

HPIM1244.jpg

HPIM1245.jpg

HPIM1246.jpg

Yes, my pies are very dirty. Some cymbals sound good when they're very clean...some sound good when you could almost grow things on them.

Bob, love your setup. It reminds me of when I saw the drumkit of John Bliss, drummer of The Reels in our rehearsal studio complex (John, if you ever read this, I couldn't resist having a little go on your kit because it looked so good but I promise I played gently and put your sticks back in place!). He had a kick, an open snare (no shell), a pair of mounted bongos and a big floor tom (if I remember correctly it was 18"). Every piece in the kit sounded fabulous. (Hear The Reels in the 1980s at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5etdXzGAZWA)

Ash, an imaginative use of a floor tom. How's it sound? The ride rig is both inventive and a crack-up :)

KZ, I imagined the double cymbal setup would make a racket :) Any recordings online?

I don't know of "?uestlove". Do you mean high and popping like a Bill Bruford snare sound?

I use a 4pc for some genres. This is my dinky setup with a 10" and 12" tom, 13" snare.

I'll probably be changing the hardware setup and adding cymbals on the left side.

HPIM1244.jpg

HPIM1245.jpg

HPIM1246.jpg

Yes, my pies are very dirty. Some cymbals sound good when they're very clean...some sound good when you could almost grow things on them.

Nice kit. One thing i would say though is that snare placement does look slightly too craigslisty for my liking.

Does my practice kit count?

Pearl Rhythm Traveler Gig
16" kick
8", 10" and 12" toms
10" snare

I set it up as a 4-piece now, with plastic practice hihats in addition to the two practice pads.

Kit_Practice_01.jpg

Nice kit. One thing i would say though is that snare placement does look slightly too craigslisty for my liking.

Carpet on a very uneven lawn makes for funky angles. I keep my snare flat if I plan on just playing match grip, and angled a little away from me by one notch for traditional grip.

On concrete, it's very slight. On the lawn....it could end up being perfectly flat or it could fall over depending on where the high and low spots are. Always an adventure.

DSCF7542small.jpg

This picture is from last year, but I always have a lot of fun with this kind of setup.

Naigewron, how do you find the Rhythm Traveler sound-wise?

I can't really comment much, since I use mesh heads so that I can practice as quietly as possible. From the little playing time I had with the stock heads, I thought it sounded pretty ok, considering the drums are tiny and the toms are single-headed (no resonant heads).

Check out australian drummer Dayne Lawless rocking out on a Rhythm Traveler Gig kit here (albeit with a "proper" snare):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHc727lEA6U

Yeah, that sounded good. But he sounds like the kind of guy who could make a couple of garbage bins kick, um, donkey.

I take it that you think his snare is better that the RT's. The snare he's got sounds pretty fierce.

I believe he's using a 14x6 Pearl Masters maple snare, which is definitely a quality snare.

The snare on the Rhythm Traveler Gig is decent enough, but it's only 10x4, so it doesn't have much "oomph" to it.

Here is my mini kit from a Christmas concert back in December. \

Specs:
Bongos LP
Mini Djembe
4X14 copper snare
Tambourine
Chimes
18" Hammerax indigo ultra dark crash
14" K custom dark hi hats

Code:

Attachments

• tiny kit.jpg
    tiny kit.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 16,056
Thx Naigewron. Yeah, it sounds great on the clip. I love snare drums that have that rude RnR sound. I guess the RT might be good for styles other than rock.

Drumsword, I think I'm in love (with your drums, ahem :) That looks like a kit you could have a heap of fun with 'tho I'd miss not having a ride. Or would the crash not "break" if you rode it gently enough?

It actually has a very Unique ride sound, and yes for as thin as the hammerax are, they are amazingly durable.

And I'm glad you love my.... Ahem, Drums ;) Yours look sweet too ;)

lol

It actually has a very Unique ride sound, and yes for as thin as the hammerax are, they are amazingly durable.

And I'm glad you love my.... Ahem, Drums ;) Yours look sweet too ;)

Heh, appearances can be deceiving :) Seriously, yes, my kit is sweet. My days of boom bang crash appear to be over, to be replaced by the pitter-patter of little brushes :)

For some reason, maybe its size, the Hammerax looked rideable. Awesome looking cymbal BTW

Heh, appearances can be deceiving :) Seriously, yes, my kit is sweet. My days of boom bang crash appear to be over, to be replaced by the pitter-patter of little brushes :)

For some reason, maybe its size, the Hammerax looked rideable. Awesome looking cymbal BTW

Thanks, is actually a prototype, and the only one of it's kind. Though they have a similar line still, I have a different bell then the rest.

I also have a 20"

Back