Phil Maturano here!

Hi Bro! I would start out with the 6/8 native section before you do anything else. Dont worry about the rest for now. Then take the CD and start listening to it over and over over and over over and over.:) When you can play through that section try to get a grip on the RTS theory and then start learning very basic foot patterns to play over the exercises.

how does that sound:)
hugs
pm

Sounds great!
Ill tell you how im progressing when ive been working with the book for a while.

Thank you very much for the audio file. This makes it easier to understand.Are you in NewYork or Jersey because I still would like to take a lesson

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the audio file. This makes it easier to understand.Are you in NewYork or Jersey because I still would like to take a lesson

Great! Glad that it helped:)
I am in NY. Let me know when you want to hook and we can work out the details.

P

Ok I hope this helps. It is from a workshop in Drums and Percussion magazine that I do in Europe. Check it out and let me know how it hits ya's.
PM

one hour later....I cannot get the mpg to upload arrggggggggg!
lol

oh well...ok on rapid share

http://rapidshare.de/files/39073986/feelingsamba1.mp3.html

Thanks for sharing this Phil.....
It was very informative.....

I think what happens (atleast in my case) is that once the coordination has been somewhat conquered we feel like we have the groove down....

I now realize that the next step is getting the feel, subtleties/nuances and applying them correctly in a musical setting which is another monster challenge in itself ....

Thanks for sharing this Phil.....
It was very informative.....

I think what happens (atleast in my case) is that once the coordination has been somewhat conquered we feel like we have the groove down....

I now realize that the next step is getting the feel, subtleties/nuances and applying them correctly in a musical setting which is another monster challenge in itself ....

Yeah thats in all cases I think. The coordination is 20 % of it. Maybe even 10%, the rest as you said...takes allot of research and time.

If you can please post some examples of you playing. Maybe I can help further.

PM

Hi all. Phil Maturano writing to you.
I am putting out the feelers to get opinions about an idea I have. Since reading all the posts over the last months here, I noticed there are many topics that are discussed over and over. So in response to this need, I am organizing a full day intensive seminar.

These are workshops that I have given in Europe extensively. Drummers of many different levels enjoy them very much. An intensive event involves a 5 hour seminar. It will cover a range of topics assembled to some degree according to the level of players that attend. (yes there will be breaks and not 5 hours straight) And there will be a limit to the amount of players at the event.

IN general the topics are.

Jazz (independence and phrasing)
Latin (styles concept / independence and phrasing)
Contemporary Drumset Independence and styles (Rock and Funk - Inner clock studies)
Hand technique
Learning how to Practice

Yes, it takes one hour to teach someone how to practice. It is involved and is its own separate skill. There is a full on method to this which you will receive as print outs. Including the central concept, analysis and breakdown of subject matter, scheduling and mental preparation.

The seminar will be held in the NY area. I am going to work out exactly where and any suggestions you might have are welcome. Usually in a rehearsal studio. (Most likely here in Manhattan.)

The event will be a combination of "information / discovery" and "hands on". In other words, participants will be playing as much as possible instead of purely watching in order to receive proper evaluation. You must be prepared to play in one of the following situations.

A) To tracks with charts on kit
B) With me on percussion and you on kit
C) On pads and snare drums.

What you will take home to continue your work from the event.
My books------------
1)"Working the Inner clock"
2) "Latin soloing for the drumset"
3) Available tracks from my new book "Inner clock 2" along with the workbook and charts
4) Full version of PDF files from my DVD " Afro cuban Drumming"
5) The full practice method.

The cost $75.00 US per person. If you are coming from Europe it will also be dollars not Euro.
Date - potential date is May 4rth.

If you would like to talk about attending and any other suggestion or question, please write me

[email protected]

There is a very good chance that Pat Petrillo will also be involved in the event so it would be the both of us doing the seminar. Dividing the subjects. I am not 100% sure yet though, I am discussing Pats schedule and availability.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses

Phil Maturano.
==============================================
PS Here is some information about me. And a breakdown and timetable of parts of the event

Clinics and Seminars
Phil's Instructional books have allowed him the opportunity to reach thousands of drummers students and professionals alike, with enthusiastic response. As a clinician, Phil has taught and performed at the most prestigious drum institutions and venues:

• Drummers Collective - N.Y.
• Drum-teck - London
• 2007 Europe clinic tour, Germany, Netherlands, UK.
• Meinl Drum Festival - Gutenstetten, Germany.
• The Music Institute - London
• Drummers Focus - Munich Germany
• ACM Guildford - UK
• Masstricht conservatory - Netherlands
• Rigas Ritmi Music Festival - Riga, Latvia.
• 10th, 11th, and 12th Annual Drummers meeting - Salzgitter, Germany
• Arnhem Conservatory - Netherlands
• The Las Vegas Percussion Camp/UNLV - USA
• Drums Only with Vinnie Colaiuta in shorndorf, Germany
• Ed Thigpen and Steve Houghton - at WND Jazz Spezial
• Drummers Institute - Dusseldorf Germany
• Escola Civica - Milan, Italy
• Guitar Center - U.S. circuit - Featured
• M.U.G. Music House - Gothenburg, Sweden
• Zurich Latin Music - Zurich, Switzerland...as well as many
others in Austria, France, Spain and South America

Upcoming events (July 2008) include Germany - Marktoberdorf week long intensive with Steve Smith, Richie Garcia, Rene Creemers, Hakim Ludin, and other great drummers from Europe.

Clinic Content
Clinics are based on material from my books as well as from my new DVD "Afro Cuban Drumming - An overview for the Drumset"

Part 1 / Working the Inner Clock
The concept of this book is explored by working on a series of exercises. The exercises are contained within contemporary song formats and are worked on by using a play along CD and Charts. Their purpose is to allow players to expand their "Inner clock" by attacking specific subdivisions and figures.
While analyzing the "ebb and flow" effects on music by subdivisions, we can internalize phrases and increase our sense of "time" by becoming fully aware of these properties of rhythm, in the body and mind. Clinic participants are encouraged to be a part of the activities. They are called up to play at random. Their performance is analyzed and if necessary the player is given adjustments and tips to continue on.

Schedule: Hour 1
1) Introductions
2) Phil performs songs from book
3) Explanation of inner clock theory
4) "Inner clock" workout with audience
5) Clinic Participants called up to play
6) Critique session with audience participation
7) Phil Closes performing song from the book

Part 2 / "Latin Soloing for the Drumset" - "Afro Cuban drumming"
This presentation focuses on a concept from the book called "RTS". (Relayed time shifting). A system designed to decode the phrasing of African descent music. Through the use of RTS players are taken through a variety of styles (Afro Cuban / Brazilian etc) and are given a totally unique insight into how this music is played with an authentic feel. This concept is the only one that combines the ancient and mystical rhythms of the past, with their modern day counterparts. Finally giving drummers a system to achieve a mastery of this most intense and elusive genre of drumming.

Schedule: Hour 2
1) Introductions
2) Open Solos - Batucada, Soca, Afro Cuban, Cumbia, Malambo, Funk, Straight ahead.
3) Exploration of RTS concept
4) Played examples from book
5) Construction of an afro Cuban based drum solo
7) Working with percussionists in a rhythm section
6) Open solo with left foot clave

=================================================

Yeah thats in all cases I think. The coordination is 20 % of it. Maybe even 10%, the rest as you said...takes allot of research and time.

If you can please post some examples of you playing. Maybe I can help further.

PM

I'd be very interested....

I just need to finish my commitment with my college band for next couple of months and then I want to start a fresh practice routine.....

Maybe we can do a video lesson where I send you some playing and pay you for an evaluation or somethin.....

Thats a very good way to get things rolling. Keep me up to date on your thoughts. I am willing.

Big hugs
PM

I'd be very interested....

I just need to finish my commitment with my college band for next couple of months and then I want to start a fresh practice routine.....

Maybe we can do a video lesson where I send you some playing and pay you for an evaluation or somethin.....

sorry forgot to copy your message
P

Hello everyone, here is the latest on the intensive day.

I am very happy to say that Pat Petrillo will be joining me on the project and that we will be dividing the subjects between us. I will be doing Latin, Inner clock work and practice seminar. And Pat will be doing Hand technique and Contemporary drumset studies.

Also, the days we are looking at for the event is on the 10th or 11th. Any preference? We will be voting on it probably.

Also, the cost will now be $100.00 for the day. Pat is also including some materials from his works and, Regal tip sticks will be giving away sticks to the participants. Possibly there will be a cymbal give away by my cymbal company "Anatolian" -

Everything else is the same. I look forward to hearing from more participants and welcome you to the day. You dont need to be super advanced to participate. It seems that this is a concern of some of you who have been writing. But you will have to be able to function on the kit. If you are a total beginner its probably way too much.
In that case we could take about regular lessons.

Phil M.

nydidaycopy-1.jpg

Last edited:
Guys...so sorry.

This is the address where we will be tomorrow.
Music Building.
584 8th Av.
Between 38th and 39th

We are meeting in front of the building at 1pm
See ya there
Pm
______

Hey Everyone!!!!!

I don't really post on here too much, but I had to tell you guys that the Intensive Day was amazing!!!! Really intimate and TONS of knowledge and information given and taught. If you guys can make it to the next one please do!!!!!!!! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!! Phil's playing is incredible and his phrasing is something else (not to mention his independence LOL!!) Well I hope all is well with everyone. Take care and God Bless.

Carlito

www.myspace.com/juancarlosmendoza
www.youtube.com/jmensticks

Carlitooooooo!!
Thank you for that wonderful comment bro. It was great to meet you there and you are sounding fantastic yourself!! tas'' hecho un monstro! hahaha

Big hugs
PM

Just wanted to give you guys an update. If there are any drummers out there in Berlin Germany who read this forum, I will be doing a masterclass at the Drumfactory.
Here we have some info about the event.

Hope to see you there.
PM

DRUMFACTORY MASTERCLASS/WORKSHOP
PHIL MATURANO
Afro Cuban Drumming
"Latin Soloing für Drumset" - "Afro Cuban drumming"
This presentation focuses on a concept from the book called "RTS". (Relayed time shifting). A system designed to decode the phrasing of African descent music. Through the use of RTS players are taken through a variety of styles (Afro Cuban / Brazilian etc) and are given a totally unique insight into how this music is played with an authentic feel. This concept is the only one that combines the ancient and mystical rhythms of the past, with their modern day counterparts. Finally giving drummers a system to achieve a mastery of this most intense and elusive genre of drumming.

Schedule:
1) Open Solos - Batucada, Soca, Afro Cuban, Cumbia, Malambo, Funk, Straight ahead.
2) Exploration of RTS concept
3) Played examples from book
4) Construction of an afro Cuban based drum solo
5) Working with percussionists in a rhythm section
7) Open solo with left foot clave
LEVEL ANFÄNGER UND FORTGESCHRITTENE
www.philmaturano.com
http://www.myspace.com/philmaturanodrums

Info und Anmeldung:
Drumfactory School
Büro Mo–Fr 9–17 Uhr
fon/fax: 030 - 21 23 85 32