"Recommend Me A Kit" Threads

You're partly right: I don't take advice on lots of things. Maybe you'll understand this: if we limit this discussion to drums and drumsets, and all things percussion (or for that matter, cars and houses too, and any other material thing), so much of it is "what do I like?". Therefore, how can you assume a person is being ripped off if they like what they have? It's like buying a diamond ring for the wife - if she likes it, does it matter what you paid for it? 10 grand, or a thousand dollars, if she likes it, you're gonna go with it, right? People thought I was crazy when I bought a $3500 Omega watch - why should I care what people think if I like it? I love it and wear it everyday.

Maybe you'll understand this, we are on a discussion forum, and the topic of discussion is drums. This difference is, this forum is already based on a specific topic. You bought something you wanted and you knew you wanted it, so who cares what others think, but the people who are asking questions here are not sure of what they want, what fits their requirements and what fits their budget. You might buy a 10 grand diamond if you can afford and it fits your budget. If you don't know what the best choice is because you have no idea what your options are at X amount of money, you might need to do some research before you buy anything. Maybe you want to spend 10 grand and end up with a Cubic zirconia because you didn't know there was a difference because you were too cool to ask for help from those on a Jeweler forum!

I mean, I am not going to fault you if you like to throw your money away, but there are some people who value their money and want to make the best choice possible with the budget they have.

In this light, why would buying a drumset, or a car, or a house any different? If you like it, get it. In the case of a car, if I like it so much, I think I'd be willing to pay for the maintenance or any other quirky thing the car needs because I like driving it. A house is pretty much the same thing. I have mine, and I pay for the upkeep and everything that goes with it. Am I getting ripped off because I do this? How would I know? I like having what I have and I can afford it. That's just how I roll, I suppose. I'm not in the habit of getting into something just to get out of it later because I've convinced myself I could be getting ripped off.

So you like to make uninformed purchases, but there are some of us who like to make informed purchased and try to get something that will give us the most value for our money. What if you like it, and get it only to find out later that you were ripped or maybe you could have gotten something better? Perhaps you didn't know that the 1994 LT1 came with an optispark distributor and was prone to failure when it gets wet, so you have nothing but problems with the vehicle, and problems which could have been avoided if you had just asked others for help and they could have let you know that in 1995 they had a vented opti to prevent this prevalent problem? But I guess when you are cool and roll like a cool dawg, you don't worry about having car trouble or try to avoid defective vehicles!

Some people like to make informed decisions with as much information as they can, so how can you knock them for it? Maybe you could have bought something better, something for more quality or perhaps resell value for your dollar. If you like to buy things blindly, that is your right, and I wouldn't knock you for it, so why do you feel a need to knock those who like to make informed decisions?

Regarding advice on taxes, I pay a professional tax lawyer for advice. Just as I pay a doctor for health advice. I wouldn't be asking a public forum advice on those matters.

That's interesting, why not just send them what feels good to you and call it a day? Yet millions of people file their own taxes every year based on information they get online and elsewhere and save a lot of money and are happy. Why should that bother you or anyone else? And I am sure you take no advice when looking for a tax professional, doctor, etc? I mean, you wouldn't want to ask on a forum for advice on who may be a good doctor in your area right. Just go to the first one and call it a day. Same with everything else, so long as it feels good. And then sit on a high horse and bash others trying to make informed decisions. Who cares if you are paying 5 times what someone else pays for the same service so long as you are happy. I myself like to make decisions based on as much information as I can find.

I'm really not being argumentative on the issue, that's just how it is. From time to time on this forum I'll post a great deal I found and I like a good deal as much as the next guy. And I follow the drum market so I know if something costs more than it should. That kind of pricing research is easy to do, don't you think? Especially on the internet.

Why would you pay someone to pay your taxes for you anyway? I mean, finding that information online is easy to do, so why not do them yourself?

We are taking about a plethora of different options with an almost infinite amount of variables when it comes to purchasing drums. There are different shell types, some crap, some good, some sound different. There are different levels of kits. You get the picture. Some one new to this hobby or profession for some, might be a little overwhelmed with all the different options and might not know where to start, so they join a DRUM forum and ask those in to know where to start. It's really quite simply and I don't see how anyone could knock someone for trying to be informed.

Last edited:
I thought you didn't roll like this, but here you are asking for advice on a Yamaha Pedal: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104469 Look at all those people trying to help you, would have been nice if they instead gave you a hard time instead right. I mean, that is what you do to those who ask the same question! BWAHAHA that was just posted two days ago! WTF?

I see you started all kinds of threads asking for advice, but you bash those who are asking for advice on a drum kit while you are asking for advice on a pedal? That is the textbook definition of a hypocrite! I bet if I look up topics created by the rest of those complaining here, I would find the same thing! I get it, only your questions regarding the topics of drum related products are worthy. That's just how you roll!

Why don't you just buy the pedal and see if you like it? Better yet, hit up a local music store and try it out instead of starting a thread on a forum? What if someone gives you advice and says they like it, but you buy it and don't like it?

Last edited:
When I was looking to get a new kit in 2011 I checked out a lot of different kits. I was particularly intrigued by a set of Custom Classics which are distributed by Sieglar Music and sold on ebay. I scoured a few of the drum forums on the web (including this one before I became a member) and heard about some of the hardware issues the kits were having. Specifically, the floor tom brackets. Needless to say I certainly didn't want my floor tom falling down on a gig, so I scratched that from my list.

One of the main reasons I went with the Stage Custom Birch kit was because of the dependability of the Yamaha hardware. (Besides the fact that the price was right and I fell in love with the natural wood finish) People on all the forums were saying the same things: the hardware is great.

Even though I didn't start a "What kit should I buy" thread, I read through a lot of them. They helped me decide against the Pearl Vision kit because of the tom mounts. I also crossed the Gretsch Catalinas off due to the clunky-looking suspension mounts. (They're probably very nice functionally, I just don't care for the look. Call me shallow.)

I guess the point of this rambling post is that asking questions on drum forums is a part of the research of buying a drum kit. A lot more useful than testimonials put up on the manufacturers or retailers web sites.

I really try to stay out of these threads but honestly guys, all I'm hearing is a whole lot of "baaack in my day!!" The kids have more choices now. Deal with it. I can't imagine not having a clue about shell construction and being limiter to a 13,16,22 or a 14,16,18,28 in either sparkle or glass. Choices are a wonderful thing. Even poor Bo is discovering his inner GAS after years of sticking to the same setup. Variety is the spice of life bit it can be overwhelming for a new player.

I bugged the hell out of my drummer friends and mentors when it came time to choose a new kit. These days I just have one guy that happens to be a custom builder to bug. What do I win? I still have so many questions about gear and am still somewhat developing my tastes so I have many questions. Not everyone has those resources so they turn to their beloved Drummer World.

I completely understand the frustration of many forum members when apparently the same question is asked repeatedly, but I also understand the dilemma of those searching for some hands on advice.

Despite the quite correct advice often given, "go try as many kits as you can & buy the one you like", the truth is that opportunities to try a representative range of drums within a reasonable traveling distance are all but gone for many. Accordingly, many rely on reviews, & increasingly, manufacturers videos to make their choices. It's not an ideal situation, but we don't live in an ideal world.

Quite rightly, many are suspicious of the audio samples accompanying manufacturers videos, & seek real world experiences from those who own or have played the drums they're interested in. I see nothing wrong with that, but there is an equal onus on the OP to carry out their own research as much as possible prior to posting. Rather than asking an open question, or merely listing the kits of interest in a xxx vs. xxx thread, I think it's a good idea to refine your questions down to specific areas of concern.

In the end, it's up to each of us to decide if we have something to offer the OP. In such threads, if I have no direct or applicable experience, I pass on by. We need to remember that some members who join up, have little to no experience, & when we ask them to go & research the subject, this forum is part of that research. If I had never played drums in my life, & I tried to make sense of drum manufacturers marketing stuff, technical specifications, & a range of other representations, I would struggle big time. Also, inexperienced players gravitate to emulating drum sounds they hear from their favorite drummer. They don't really get the difference between real world & the sound produced in a $10 million studio, & the manufacturers videos often pander to that naivety in their presentations. Accordingly, it's the ones that do ask that repetitive question here, that are the ones who have decided to dig that little bit deeper, albeit on the basis of naivety. This forum has a hard earned reputation as a resource of informed reply, & even though that means accepting the boring + interesting questions in equal measure, IMO, long may that inclusivity continue.

For me, I don't mind helping and contributing when I can. Today's marketplace is flooded with options and seeking user reviews seems to have become an important part of shopping and the selection process for many.

I will say though it should only be one facet of the experience. Trying to get out there and sampling what's available in the area should be another.

I guess I can see the reason why they ask so much here since there's a high population of people to pull from as well.

Just my .02.

Lastly, would a sticky thread help with this to at least contain them?

Wow, many replies.
I will read all of them tonight when I have more time.

This thread wasn't directed at any particular person.
I was speaking in general when I wrote it.

We also have, "Recommend Me" Threads for cymbals.
Cymbals are even more personal to me than drums.

I agree with Bobdadrumma an Bo regarding this. Cymbals are really where all this is at. Cats can spend squillions on their drums, and perhaps rightly so but cymbals are basically unchangeable. Sure you can add tape and moongel, but to me I could never do this. Cymbals should sound how you want them from the beginning...or at least with the idea that they will only become better with patience.

I own and play an intermediate kit that I refurbished, and it sounds outstanding in my opinion. I do not play it next to top end kits cause I have no opportunity to do so. But the drums I have are uniquely my sound...I know that much. But more importantly my cymbals are always a joy to play....I look forward to it very weekend at gigs and during the week at practice.

There's a cat in South Australia that is a cymbalsmith and I'm digging the sounds he is getting..via the internet. Being a metalsmith myself I do have a desire to experiment myself with cymbals and their refashioning, yet lack the sufficient funds to delve right now.

But as I said in other posts on this site, reflecting what Bo and others have said...cymbals are absolutely the place to start in this drum world IMO

I completely understand the frustration of many forum members when apparently the same question is asked repeatedly, but I also understand the dilemma of those searching for some hands on advice.
Its like I tell my employees who gripe about having to answer the same questions all the time: It may be the millionth time you have been ask that question, but it is the first time this particular person has asked it.

Well hopefully it is...when you have the same person repeatedly ask that same question then it is grounds for a beating with a car antenna.

It is common for people to seek the advice of others, but some things are not all that black and white. Getting a consensus of what people like is fine, but in the end, it is your decision.

Those questions have never bothered me. The whole idea of this forum is to help people and to share knowledge. If you get tired of these threads just pass them by. I feel that just the fact that the person has come here and asked advice is showing that they are not lazy and have started their research. Just my 2 cents. John

If you ask for recommendations, lots of times you will get so many different ones, that you are more confused than when you started. I'm not knocking anyone who asks for recommendations. I just don't understand not knowing what you want, I cannot relate. Not directed at any one person. I've always had a crystal clear idea of what I require and just cannot imagine being any other way. That said we're all different. I usually don't participate in those discussions because I think that the asker should find out first hand what they like, instead of asking others what they like. It's all about what YOU like not anyone else.

Its like I tell my employees who gripe about having to answer the same questions all the time: It may be the millionth time you have been ask that question, but it is the first time this particular person has asked it...

Is it a question that has an objective answer? Or is it a question that depends on someone's opinion?

Im on both sides. there are way too many threads of " recomend for me or which one would you buy". However a lot of times those threads are reaching out to owners of those kits looking for their feedback. I wouldnt jump on a thread that asks the difference between kits i have never tried but would offer advice on kits i have. Its just being helpful. I bought a ludwig snare recently and narrowed my choice down by myself, however, I still pm'd a great member on here to get the final thoughts/push/opinion. (thanks Karl). I love the snare and was really going to buy it anyway but its nice to bounce that idea off of somone. I dont have any drummer friends, it seems like eveyone plays guitar so to have this forum to BS with people about their opinions is a valuable resource. I agree, too many of the same thread but a lot of times its just helpful advice.

Jeez, lighten up folks :) Asking for advice is the #1 reason this DW discussion board exists in my opinion. Why not ask the advice of hundreds or thousands of drummers instead of blindly going into a shop and being at the mercy of (a) an uneducated clerk or (b) a con-man wanting to sell you a higher priced kit than you really need?

And another thing I was thinking about, drummers may be the only musicians who regularly have to take a chance and buy something that they've never played or tested before.

I mean how many shops actually carry a Vistalite kit in their showroom? Yet many people still buy the thing, sight unseen and having never played it before. Weird.

If you ask for recommendations, lots of times you will get so many different ones, that you are more confused than when you started. I'm not knocking anyone who asks for recommendations. I just don't understand not knowing what you want, I cannot relate. Not directed at any one person. I've always had a crystal clear idea of what I require and just cannot imagine being any other way. That said we're all different. I usually don't participate in those discussions because I think that the asker should find out first hand what they like, instead of asking others what they like. It's all about what YOU like not anyone else.

Larry, let me see if I can shed any light on why some may start these types of threads. I know you weren't directing your post at any single member, and I am not directing this post at you personally either, but I wanted to address is because I think I understand where you are coming from. I think this will make more sense if I quote your post before posting it.

There are a lot of things that I know a lot about and feel the same way about, but what if you are completely new to something and don't know where to start because there are so many choices? Don't you have to at least narrow down your choices to what fits your budget? How would a new drummer have this information with so many choices and no experience? I guess some folks are all knowing, but I am just an average human.

Here is how it went for me when I decided to start playing drums. I grew up playing guitar, but always wanted a drum kit. A few months ago I decided I was going to buy one, so I figured out my budget and started looking on Amazon. I wanted a full kit so I could start playing right away, but at that time I didn't know the difference between a shell pack and a full beginner set. Seemed only the full beginner sets offered everything I needed.

For the entry level kits, there weren't many choices that fit my budget, but I did notice that PDP made some entry level kits, so I was going to get one. I was set on a entry level PDP kit, so I started researching the kit and seeing what others were saying.

Thankfully I found this site during my searches for reviews on the PDP kit and I read over and over again people suggesting to members to by a used kit instead of an entry level kit. Thankfully someone started a "Recommend Me A Kit" thread, actually a lot of them, and I started to learn how fast drums depreciate in value when you buy a new entry level kit and how I could get a nice kit if I purchase a used one.

At this point I didn't start my "Recommend Me A Kit" thread. I jumped on craiglist list and there were so many different choices, from PDP, TAMA, Pearl, DW, and on and on. There were also so many different price ranges for the drums listed and sorting through the thousands of posts was a laborious process. I spent hours doing this, but still I had no idea what kits were "good" and which were expensive entry level kits. Some postings on craiglist didn't even have the brand name or were missing the model. I had no way of knowing if the kits were a good buy or not, I had never bought a kit before.

At this point I decided to start my "Recommend Me A Kit" thread. I figured I could narrow down my search by finding out what experienced drummers suggested for my budget, and I was right. Thankfully I was given a few recommendations and even posted a few craigslist ads in my thread asking if those were good deals. This gave me a great start on tracking down my used drum kit. I was able to immediate start searching for the brands / models within my price range and cut out the fluff.

I posted a few more craigslist ads in my thread and again advised on which were good deals for my price range, and saved a ton of time and money not going around wasting my time on over priced entry level kits. I am very grateful that some members here took the time to help me out. I ended up buying a nice drum kit that I am very happy with, and am in the process of upgrading my cymbals. I haven't started the "help me pick a cymbal pack" thread because I know how snarky some members can get here. It's actually one of the reasons I lurk more than post, too cliquey.

Honestly, how can anyone have a clear idea of what they require if they are new to something and have little to no experience with what is available, the different product models, hardware, the different options, or know what to look for in terms of poorly designed hardware, etc. Are you saying you never researched anything before you bought it because you already had a clear idea of what you required before you even wanted to buy it.

I have noticed in these threads the one asking is brand new and usually overwhelmed by the shear variety of products and doesn't really know where to even start in terms of what is within their budget. It's just part of the research and gives the member a place to start their search.

As for being lazy or lacking the will to perform research, nothing could be further from the truth for some of us who start those types of discussions. In reality, this is actually part of the research. For example, I had my sights set on buying a new entry level PDP kit, but after researching on these forums for hours I realized I could score a far better deal buying a used set. Craigslist is full of used kits, but what is a good kit to someone who knows nothing about drums? What would be a good kit for my budget? I was given some good suggestions to help me start my search, and I am very grateful to the members who took the time to help.

Looking at your thread, yours was certainly not the type of thread I was referring to.

You specified price, criteria, and simply asked how to buy used. That's fair enough. It show you put some thought into your question.

I was more referring to the people who just post one or two sentence threads that say nothing more than "What should I buy? I'm into these bands" without putting any real thought into the question.

Back