New Club Date club member!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Stumbled upon the Guitar Center exclusive Element Club Date in Blue Oyster, and couldn't resist -

ludclubdate.jpg

They were $499... what was I supposed to do, leave them there for someone else to get the deal??

Will rehearse and gig with them this week - can't wait!

Bermuda

All right Jon, Welcome to the Club Date Club
What are your initial impressions?
Are those 20, 12, 14?

Im waiting for my matching snare to arrive for my CD kit. It should be here in a few weeks.
They have been back ordered.

Last edited:
That is absolutely gorgeous. Good thing you rescued it. I just looked at GC and that price is about half. Wow.

Last edited:
This is torture. Ludwig is obviously slashing the price on this because of the Gretsch Renown 57 blowout. Now I think I gotta get this kit too. The Renowns are the better quality/sounding kit, but these club dates are also really sweet. Let us know what you think Bermuda. We're all ears.

This is torture. Ludwig is obviously slashing the price on this because of the Gretsch Renown 57 blowout. Now I think I gotta get this kit too. The Renowns are the better quality/sounding kit, but these club dates are also really sweet. Let us know what you think Bermuda. We're all ears.

Are they?

Dang, what a lousy time to be broke. :-(

Be careful with those long tension rods Jon, Don't get any bends in them, These drums are prone to dammage because of the center mounted lugs ya know :) ;)
(I think that you get the joke.)

Anyway, you will feel great after playing those drums for a short while.
I always do.

Hey, Why do they call these drums "Element"? The Element shells are birch, and these shells are Cherry/ Gumwood.
I am confused.

Last edited:
Will report on them soon, I'm changing heads right now and really digging what I hear. Will know for sure on the job this weekend.

These are classic sizes - 14x22, 9x13, 16x16 - and technically not a Club Date configuration, this particular line in the Element SE series just happens to be named that. But they also offer the original Club Date configuratioin: 14x20, 8x12, 14x14.

This wrap is a Guitar Center exclusive, and I believe a limited edition, as are all current Guitar Center Ludwig kit offerings. They haven't been a full Ludwig dealer for 5 or 6 years, and the ltd ed kits & snares are just kinda testing the waters again. So this Blue Oyster wrap isn't available on other Ludwig kits.

Bermuda

Hey, Why do they call these drums "Element"? The Element shells are birch, and these shells are Cherry/ Gumwood.
I am confused.

They're Element SE (Special Edition, I suspect) and the Citrus Mod & Mod Orange kits a few years ago were also Cherry & Gumwood. I have a really nice cherry/gumwood prototype snare from the Element SE "shop". But there are Elements that are birch, called Element Birch. Regular Elements are, um..,. select hardwood (your guess is as good as mine!)

Bermuda

Jon, those aren't your drums until I see them photographed by the edge of your swimming pool! (I actually recognize your garage now, too)

Those are beauties.

They're Element SE (Special Edition, I suspect) and the Citrus Mod & Mod Orange kits a few years ago were also Cherry & Gumwood. I have a really nice cherry/gumwood prototype snare from the Element SE "shop". But there are Elements that are birch, called Element Birch. Regular Elements are, um..,. select hardwood (your guess is as good as mine!)

Bermuda
Now Im even more confused :)
It seems that there are no rules when it comes to what Ludwig calls, Element.
Oh Well, I give Ludwig that. If they want to confuse me then fine, so-be-it.

Wow - what a deal.

I like to stop in there once in a while to see what they've got on sale. I can't do it too often though, because I almost always walk out with something - ha ha.

Mandatory pool pic.

Sweet little kit and dont worry bob, the color hides those long tension rods! Thats probably the best deal going right now for sure.

Are cherry/gum shells sourced from the U.S.? Not sure why club date shells wouldn't be same as 1960s maple/poplar/maple? but .... cost, I know. Played a kit at GC last spring and was impressed but $899 cost was a bit much. At $400 they're a steal.

I think a man with big badges is trying make up for a deficiency in other areas...

No no no just kidding here. I am waiting for someone to design the world's tiniest badge. Only can be seen with help of a magnifying glass.

Are cherry/gum shells sourced from the U.S.? Not sure why club date shells wouldn't be same as 1960s maple/poplar/maple? but .... cost, I know.

That layup already exists as the Legacy line (made in USA) and is quite a bit more expensive!

Bermuda

Back