Good starter heads?

hanfromman

Hi there!
I have just recently started learning the drums, and have bought a really cheap kit just for practising on. But I would like some new heads just to make it sound a bit better.
What are some good affordable starter heads? I don't need a snare head as the previous owner had bought another snare that I am happy with.

Thanks!

I don't think there really is such a thing as 'starter heads'.

Just save up a little more, watch some videos on how to tune and learn how to do so, then buy some single-ply coated G1s or Ambassadors or whatever the Aquarian equivalent is, and go for it! You'll appreciate it much more in the long run.

Although if your question is more geared toward the 'what sort of head should I buy', then it really comes down to taste (and on some level, tuning ability). I would argue that most newer drummers tend to prefer an overtone-less sound as it's what we're more accustomed to hearing from recordings - hence, probably a 2-ply head with some sort of in-built muffling like EC2s or Pinstripes or whatever. Honestly, you can't go wrong with what's out there except perhaps oil-filled heads, which admittedly have their place.

And before you ask, here's Bob Gatzen on tuning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSSPtF-FWbI

Hope this helps!

As your a new drummer with an entry level kit and I am a big fan of Aquarian heads I would recommend classic clears for resos and for batters, response 2 on your toms, a coated focus x on your snare and a superkick 2 with a ported regulator front head on your bass drum. As you learn and your tuning skills grow and you upgrade to higher quality drums you may then want to try more resonant heads like studio x on your toms and coated studio x on your snare and an super kick 1 on the kick which is what I personally like and use. BTW Aquarian although more durable than many other brands are usually quite a bit less money as well.

Last edited:
As your a new drummer with an entry level kit and I am a big fan of Aquarian heads I would recommend classic clears for resos and for batters, response 2 on your toms, a coated focus x on your snare and a superkick 2 with a ported regulator front head on your bass drum. As you learn and your tuning skills grow and you upgrade to higher quality drums you may then want to try more resonant heads like studio x on your toms and coated studio x on your snare and an super kick 1 on the kick which is what I personally like and use.

I'm going to disagree with tard about starting out with a double ply batter over a single ply reso. I would start out with "matched" single ply heads on your rack toms and floor toms because it will be less confusing while learning to tune yet still sound sweet. My advice comes from Bob Gatzen's tuning DVD and it really is good advice for everyone looking to really learn and understand the art of tuning.

Ambassador clears top and bottom or you could try Ambassador Coated top and bottom.

If you can afford it, buy the Bob Gatzen tuning DVD, if you can't afford ...find away to afford it :)

Last edited:
I'm going to disagree with tard about starting out with a double ply batter over a single ply reso. I would start out with "matched" single ply heads on your rack toms and floor toms because it will be less confusing while learning to tune yet still sound sweet. My advice comes from Bob Gatzen's tuning DVD and it really is good advice for everyone looking to really learn and understand the art of tuning.

Ambassador clears top and bottom or you could try Ambassador Coated top and bottom.http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89917

If you can afford it, buy the Bob Gatzen tuning DVD, if you can't afford ...find away to afford it :)

Being a new drummer with very little tuning experience and an entry level kit it will be much easier for him to tune 2 ply heads and get a good sound close to what hes used to hearing on the music he listens to. Starting him off with single ply over single may just get him frustrated trying to tune out the overtones and will probably end up covering them with moon jell and duct tape. I cant imagine Bob Gatzen recommending that someone with little or no tuning experience start with single ply over single ply. Maybe someone who wants to sit down and practice their tuning but I believe the OP was looking to put something on his newly acquired entry level kit that will sound good so he can practice learning to play and the best way to achieve that is with a 2 ply as they will tune up much easier with less overtones causing less frustration and headaches for the aspiring drummer

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!
I will check out the Ambassador heads for sure! I'm getting quite excited about improving my kit!!

Back