DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-22-2016, 06:38 PM

Default Mike Mangini So Far?

So it's been about 6 or 5 years since Mike Mangini replaced Mike Portnoy so I thought I'd share my thoughts on how he's been so far in Dream Theater. Just from watching him play, I notice his open handed technique is very unique because given the massive setup he has, he probably has to do that but whatever. I know people say Mike is better than Mike but I remember watching some Dream Theater video and someone said in the comments that Mike is like Shawn Drover, he plays the stuff straightforward but doesn't have any emotion when playing but I think it's probably because Mike isn't a huge showman when it comes to playing. Sure he's won I don't know how many WFD (World's Fastest Drummer) records but what do I think of him overall? I think he's a great drummer but he isn't Mike Portnoy but Mike Mangini has his own approach towards the music I guess you could say. Let me know what you guys think of him so far?
Old 11-23-2016, 01:48 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Default Re: Mike Mangini So Far?

Who's Dream Theater? Were they that Rush cover band I keep hearing about?
Old 11-23-2016, 02:19 AM

Less spit than Portnoy is a plus in my book
Old 11-23-2016, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

Mangini is a monster behind the kit. I think his drumming fits the music well, but I dont care for the music any more. Its not because of his drumming though. Its the structure of the songs, the awkward key and timing changes that get made and the general direction the music is moving towards, which is strangly sci-fi, theatrical and over the top.

Lots of the musical direction came from Portnoy who kept it more grounded in a heavy prog rock style. But with Portnoy gone you are left with Petrucci and Rudess to go crazy. Granted both of these guys are musical virtuosos, but its too much crazy and really needs to get grounded back to its heavy prog rock roots. This latest "rock-opera" album is neither rock, nor opera. Its awful.

Lets get back to something like Train of Thought. That was a fantastic album! If they want to get "proggy" try writing songs like When Dream and Day Unite, or make another album like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance if you want the concept style album with "balls and chunk" (to use a DT term).
Old 11-23-2016, 05:17 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
Mangini is a monster behind the kit. I think his drumming fits the music well, but I dont care for the music any more. Its not because of his drumming though. Its the structure of the songs, the awkward key and timing changes that get made and the general direction the music is moving towards, which is strangly sci-fi, theatrical and over the top.

Lots of the musical direction came from Portnoy who kept it more grounded in a heavy prog rock style. But with Portnoy gone you are left with Petrucci and Rudess to go crazy. Granted both of these guys are musical virtuosos, but its too much crazy and really needs to get grounded back to its heavy prog rock roots. This latest "rock-opera" album is neither rock, nor opera. Its awful.

Lets get back to something like Train of Thought. That was a fantastic album! If they want to get "proggy" try writing songs like When Dream and Day Unite, or make another album like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance if you want the concept style album with "balls and chunk" (to use a DT term).
I'm not a fan of DT but I can see how this happens. Even Emerson, Lake, & Palmer would be totally weird if Keith Emerson had his way. Greg Lake helped to balance that out and the group was grounded with a couple of hits.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Even Emerson, Lake, & Palmer would be totally weird if Keith Emerson had his way. Greg Lake helped to balance that out and the group was grounded with a couple of hits.
This is arguable and anyway Keith is sadly no longer with us.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post

Couldn't agree with this more. There is no bigger DT fan than me and I can't listen to the latest "Abomination". Ruddess is a fantastic musician but their songs went downhill once he joined.

I loved Portnoy in DT but I am so glad he left because it opened my eyes to Mangini. I recall everyone wringing their hands over his departure but I was excited because I knew they would bring in someone who was at least as good. Boy did they ever.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkidd053 View Post
Ruddess is a fantastic musician but their songs went downhill once he joined.
I haven't really noticed a big change since I only have stuff from Images and Words to Black Clouds and Silver Linings but Im not a hardcore DT fan like some people but I even thought some songs after Metropolis Pt. 2 sounded I guess a little bit brutal metal sounding and not very prog
Old 11-23-2016, 11:46 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
This is arguable and anyway Keith is sadly no longer with us.
True, it's arguable. However, if you didn't have Greg Lake's Lucky Man on that first album, would they have gotten to Tarkus?

Watching a ELP historical documentary, Emerson was always pushing the musical boundaries, which I think is a great thing. But, I think if ELP just followed Emerson, they would've lost much of their audience which may have shortened the lifespan of the band, I think anyway.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

I've seen DT with Portnoy maybe 20 times and with Mangini twice

As far as drumming goes, Mangini > Portnoy and it's not even close.

But
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkidd053 View Post
Ruddess is a fantastic musician but their songs went downhill once he joined. .
1000% agree.

I think Rudess joining the band was the worst thing that every happened to them. Funny enough it was a move pushed for by Portnoy.

I do agree with Tommy D that Train of Thought is fantastic.

I don't agree that it was Portnoy who kept it more grounded. It was musical direction from Portnoy;s leadership that started it. It was Portnoy that pushed for not using outside producers, it was Portnoy who went to the record company and said the band should be able to do whatever they wanted (with him as leader) or else, and it was Portnoy who insisted the band stop writing songs in advance and always write on the fly in the studio.

I actually though Portnoy quitting might make the band go back to writing songs, and they almost did that on their first album without him, before going back to jamming on 100 minute long guitar and keyboard solos and calling them songs.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:54 AM
Platinum Member

I love Dream Theater, but I really only love the Kevin Moore-era albums. It's clear to me that when Moore left the band lost someone good at crafting songs as opposed to riffs and solos separated by a chorus.

It's also clear that Portnoy assuming a stronger leadership role didn't mean he was really contributing anything musical, he just wanted more control and the heavy riff-driven sound gave him plenty of opportunity to overplay and protect his prog rock drummer slot in the Modern Drummer polls.

Mangini's skills are more than a match for Portnoy's, so as far as I'm concerned the drums are the least of my worries. I feel like Dream Theater is still finding their way as writers again but even without Portnoy getting in the way they still need better songwriting. All of the post-Portnoy albums are good enough, but lacking any real creative spark like Images and Words and Awake had. If anything they sound a little like a band trying to copy the sound of those albums without really quite understanding how they made those albums in the first place.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:34 PM

Default Mike Mangini So Far

Mike James is a classic example of why winning is important to a players overall value and ranking.

People on here like to
Old 12-25-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
True, it's arguable. However, if you didn't have Greg Lake's Lucky Man on that first album, would they have gotten to Tarkus?

Watching a ELP historical documentary, Emerson was always pushing the musical boundaries, which I think is a great thing. But, I think if ELP just followed Emerson, they would've lost much of their audience which may have shortened the lifespan of the band, I think anyway.
Hi Matt Bo,
you're probably right in this, it was just my personal preferences that came out. And I do love Greg's voice, and some of his songs too, I just feel that it was Keith who made that band what it was. I also love the Nice, Keith's band prior ELP, and they had a fantastic drummer too. Not to knock down in any way on CP but the Nice had "groove" for lack of a better word.
Sadly now mr Lake is not longer with us, 2016 has been rough on some great artists!
Now I'm going to put on "Moonchild" with Greg Lake and King Crimson!!!
Merry Xmas everybody from Sweden.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:12 PM
Gold Member

One thing i loved bout watching the audition videos is how quiet and nice mike is. then as soon as he gets behind the kit he's a monster... as far as DT.. never heard a song other than whats in the show. I preferred the way the band sounded with the ex-kreator drummer..
Old 12-26-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
One thing i loved bout watching the audition videos is how quiet and nice mike is. then as soon as he gets behind the kit he's a monster... as far as DT.. never heard a song other than whats in the show. I preferred the way the band sounded with the ex-kreator drummer..
I always thought the toms in his audition sound like cannons.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:53 AM

I studied with Mike (Mangini) for a year at Berklee. To me he is easily the most technically proficient drummer out there. His coordination, chops and ability to count and play polyrhythms is absolutely insane. People can debate all day about musicality but I'm talking about from a pure technical level.

And yes he's also a super nice, helpful, humble, self-deprecating person. On the contrary though he is INCREDIBLY serious about his instrument and really opened my eyes on what it takes to truly be prepared for a gig.

I don't listen to Dream Theater (outside of occasional drum videos) but I was really happy to hear he got the chair... he totally deserves it and is the perfect drummer for any prog/rock/metal band.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAndPractice View Post
I studied with Mike (Mangini) for a year at Berklee. To me he is easily the most technically proficient drummer out there. His coordination, chops and ability to count and play polyrhythms is absolutely insane. People can debate all day about musicality but I'm talking about from a pure technical level.

And yes he's also a super nice, helpful, humble, self-deprecating person. On the contrary though he is INCREDIBLY serious about his instrument and really opened my eyes on what it takes to truly be prepared for a gig.

I don't listen to Dream Theater (outside of occasional drum videos) but I was really happy to hear he got the chair... he totally deserves it and is the perfect drummer for any prog/rock/metal band.
It's cool you got to study with him and I've heard somewhere he's won some World's Fastest Drummer awards or records but I don't remember if that's true or not.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCamelot View Post
It's cool you got to study with him and I've heard somewhere he's won some World's Fastest Drummer awards or records but I don't remember if that's true or not.
Mangini and Johnny Rabb used to go back and forth year after year winning fastest single strokes in a minute competitions. Some kid has the record now, I believe. Mangini is likely too busy working in DT to be bothered with worlds fastest competitions.