Mechanics of....

stevo

Can someone explain to me the "mechanics", if you will, while playing the jazz "spang-a-lang" ride pattern. What I'm looking for, and this may be a dumb question... when you hit, I'm guessing there has to be a good "bounce" back to get the second note...? So, I am looking at this as the mechanics. What grip, how much finger...

Thanks.

Can someone explain to me the "mechanics", if you will, while playing the jazz "spang-a-lang" ride pattern. What I'm looking for, and this may be a dumb question... when you hit, I'm guessing there has to be a good "bounce" back to get the second note...? So, I am looking at this as the mechanics. What grip, how much finger...

Thanks.

Wavelength's link is a very useful one. Doing what John Riley says does not only facilitate up tempo playing, it will also improve your swing and sound. The mechanics is simple:
open hand on 2 and 4 to get a rebound
close hand on 1 and 3 to catch the stick
so
beat 1 close hand to catch or squeeze the stick with every fingers as if sort of shaking hands
beat 2 open hand while pushing the stick through the cymbal
beat 3 close ...
beat 4 open ...
Do not try to play the skip notes ("and" of 2 , "and" of 4), the stick will provide for this as a result of the rebound generated by what you do on 2 and 4. The higher the rebound and the later will the skip note be played . And that's a good way to swing properly.
The most favoured grip used by jazz drummers is probably the French grip.

Thanks.

Play a paradiddle-diddle. RLRRLL RLRRLL RLRRLL... place your right hand on the ride cymbal whilst playing it.

Cool, huh.

If my below reply seems odd, it's simply to make a point. If you can play something, you're doing it right. There doesn't need to be a special grip for ride cymbal playing or for snare or for anything.

If you can play a paradiddle-diddle on a snare drum, you can break it up and play the "shing-a-ling" part on a ride cymbal. There is no mystery. The real trick, is making it swing. That takes playing with real cats.

I like thinking about it as tension and release.
2 and 4 are the "high" points, the skip note drops off, then 1 and 3 are the "release".
In jazz, I've always seen 2 and 4 as the 1 and 3 in rock, 2 and 4 are really the "downbeats" in jazz.

... There doesn't need to be a special grip for ride cymbal playing or for snare or for anything.

If you can play a paradiddle-diddle on a snare drum, you can break it up and play the "shing-a-ling" part on a ride cymbal. There is no mystery. The real trick, is making it swing. That takes playing with real cats.

Actually very few jazz drummers use another grip but something similar to the French grip to spang a lang on the ride cymbal. Just go figure out at concerts or watch videos. The reason why is because it is more efficient than any other grip for swinging the ride. One exception was Shelly manne who used an American grip.

If you can't swing you are not going to swing because you are playing with real cats. I agree that there's no mystery, BUT If you don't have the proper technique and if swinging is not ingrained in you (hours of passionate listening to jazz and hours of practice with and without real cats), the first encounter with real up tempo jazz players might be a complete mess (unless they are very patient and let you learn from them).
So better learn the proper way in advance and be ready, know heads in the jazz repertoire, etc.

The paradiddle idea is interesting but no substitute for good jazz comping, and it does not answer the question about: "the mechanics, rebound, what grip, how many fingers" ...

There is another video of Bill Stewart showing his ride cymbal technique on utube. BTW He uses the French grip. Him and John Riley are the way to go, I think.

"the mechanics, rebound, what grip, how many fingers" ...

My point was that his question cannot be answered to his satisfaction, even if he thinks a particular opinion makes sense. The "mechanics, rebound, what grip and how many fingers" question can only be answered from trial and error; his ability to swing a band, playing with people, etc, will answer the question. My suggestion, on the other hand, produces a unarguably precise method for playing the "shing-a-ling" irrespective to whatever you might be playing with the comping hand.

Back