Popped in at Andy's for a cup of tea ...

Magenta

Platinum Member
... and came away with this.

Now I know what many people will be thinking and of course they're right, but this little beauty had my name on it the minute I first clapped eyes on it, and when I had an unexpected windfall the other day, the first thing I did was text Andy.

I'm rubbish at taking photos but anyway, please welcome Marlene (that's Marlayna, as in Dietrich, rather than Marleen as in Boycie's missus). She and Michèle complement each other beautifully, which isn't surprising because apparently padauk and zebrano are of the same family.

I cannot tell you how happy I am right now. It's like all my birthdays and Christmases at once. In fact, I said to Andy that it was like getting a pony, and it is: it's beautiful and exciting, and we're going to have so much fun!

Thank you Andy xxxxxxxxx

Attachments

• Marlene 3 - Copy.jpg
    Marlene 3 - Copy.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 541
  • Marlene 1.JPG
    Marlene 1.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 520
  • Marlene 2.JPG
    Marlene 2.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 523
  • Marlene 4.jpg
    Marlene 4.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 524
  • Marlene 5.jpg
    Marlene 5.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 518
Wow. Beautiful kit; now all it needs is a pink wrap, applied with super glue and staples.

Congrats!

Is this one of the tour custom kits?

Wow. Beautiful kit; now all it needs is a pink wrap, applied with super glue and staples.

No chance, chicken: if anybody's going to wear a pink wrap, it's me!

Congrats!

Thank you :D Yes, it is. I was blown away by the sound of the maple Tour at the London Drum Show last year and wanted one, but when I heard this one I liked it even better, and it's stripey too. It's little and neat and has a lot to say for itself!

jealousy.jpg

....like now, for instance.

Seriously, I'm very happy for you! You'll have a great time with her.

jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Now I know what many people will be thinking
& that matters why exactly? TBH, I think those here will just be pleased for you :)

Don't be ridiculous, staples are totally excessive ;)

Congrats!

No, a Tour series zebrano kit. Nothing custom about it :)

Madge, here's a couple of photo's taken in slightly better light as a keepsake :)

Attachments

• kit front 702KB.jpg
    kit front 702KB.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 482
  • tom front crisp 900 947KB.jpg
    tom front crisp 900 947KB.jpg
    925.1 KB · Views: 484
jealousy.jpg

....like now, for instance.

Seriously, I'm very happy for you! You'll have a great time with her.

Haha thanks! I'm the one on the left, by the way.

Madge, here's a photo in slightly better light :)

Thanks, Andy. I know I should have let you take a photo when I was there. Nobody would have looked at me anyway!

Nothing custom about it :)

B-but you told me you'd painted all the stripes on it especially for me!

Honestly, what this man won't say in order to make a sale...

Oh wow! That kit is gorgeous. Good choice Madge and good job, Andy.

Come on, when we gonna see a YouTube of you at the helm, Madge?

:)

B-but you told me you'd painted all the stripes on it especially for me!

Honestly, what this man won't say in order to make a sale...
You're a very naughty girl, & you know how often I've dissuaded you from buying gear, especially Guru gear!

Actually, thinking about my earlier "custom" rebuttal, there is a custom element to this kit (albeit by default). Future Tour series zebrano kits will have black bass drum hoops, making your stained hoops a one off custom feature!!! ;)

Oh wow! That kit is gorgeous. Good choice Madge and good job, Andy.

Thanks, Martin! If you'd come to Manchester, you could have seen and played her yourself, you know :)

Come on, when we gonna see a YouTube of you at the helm, Madge?

Don't hold your breath, lovely. I have to learn to play the damn thing first ;)

Thanks, Martin! If you'd come to Manchester, you could have seen and played her yourself, you know :)

Don't hold your breath, lovely. I have to learn to play the damn thing first ;)

Yeah I shoulda stopped by. Next year, promise.

Not knowing how to play never held me back from YouTube.

:)

Nice stuff. Must be this one, or something similar I guess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI7--_wG5Tg

I hadn't really watched the Guru videos till recently.
I think I'd have a hard time deciding. They all look and sound great.

That's THE one. IT'S MINE, IT'S MINE!!!

It's probably like most things: either you lose your heart to it, or you don't. I like the Tour kits better than the other Gurus. My stave padauk snare sounds "righter" to my ears than the segmented ash. Both times, it was like putting on a shiny new pair of shoes, and finding that they felt like slippers.

you know how often I've dissuaded you from buying gear, especially Guru gear!

Yes I do. You are clearly in league with Mr Madge.

Actually, thinking about my earlier "custom" rebuttal, there is a custom element to this kit (albeit by default). Future Tour series zebrano kits will have black bass drum hoops, making your stained hoops a one off custom feature!!! ;)

Ta-dahh! I have no problem with "By default". How else would I have been the winner in my category?

I hadn't really watched the Guru videos till recently.
Sorry Bill, there's no official "honest capture" videos of the Tour series yet :(

Yes I do. You are clearly in league with Mr Madge.
Ta-dahh! I have no problem with "By default". How else would I have been the winner in my category?
Absolutely not "in league with Mr. Madge, & as for winning by default - you'll never know. You deserved your prize, & that's an end to the matter :)

What a stunningly beautiful kit that is, drools....

Gongrats Mage, that is a stunning kit.

ISN'T IT????

I've bequeathed it to my heroic teacher and fellow Guru enthusiast. When I told him today, as I was leaving to pick it up, he very kindly reminded me to drive carefully.

If I disappear, and he acquires a new patio, please alert the authorities.

I wish that was as easy for me as just popping in for a cuppa...

That's an absolutely gorgeous kit, enjoy :)

Back