1 on 1 lessons VS. Online Lessons

Swol335i

Just wondering what everyone's opinion was on 1 on 1 lessons in person from a drum instructor vs. taking lessons online through a live class. Obviously only the instructor in person can correct technique and such but past that what are your thoughts?

Not trying to start a "which one is better" thread, just looking for pro's and con's of each. Thanks

Well I've never had a 'live online lesson' before. I'm not sure what they're charging but i'm pretty sure your money is better spent taking a ligitmate 1 on 1 with a qualified guy. Not only will he be able to help you out with your drumming and technique personally, he can also be a nice gateway to other musicians and opportunities.

I'll never forget my old drum teacher. Solid guy, awesome drummer. There was one lesson he came in just bummed. His car broke down, money was tight and there may have been some girl problems thrown into the mix, I don't really remember. Things weren't looking up for him, but he kept his optimism.

Fast forward about 4 or 5 years to today and he's playing for one of Canada's bigger pop artists. Sonor endorsement, the works - I even saw him in a magazine ad. I still have the occasional one-off drum lesson with him. It's not like I now have the 'in' so to speak to the industry but who knows, it's still nice to have that contact. Not to mention the years of solid drum instruction, foundation and inspiration he's provided to me.

Just goes to show you never know. So don't get ripped off on the internet, there's plently of free material to find here. Go get yourself real drum teacher, one made up of solid physical matter - one you can look in the eyes.

I agree with you. And I have a really good teacher. It's just sometimes out of an hour lesson he just talks and talks and we hardly get to any playing and we'll always warm up with rudiments in the beginning which I can do on my own before he gets there. Oh well

Pay a pro for private instruction. There's such a value to having the teacher correct your mistakes and demonstrate things in person. I get better with each passing week because I practice and pay my tuition.

Hmmmm.... this is really a subjective matter. Personally, I do both. And, I do both with the same teacher in fact. Let me shed some light if I may about the live online lessons since we all know what 1 on 1 private lessons offer.

First, let me say that this is in no way a sales pitch or an effort to offer bro deals.

I use http://www.mikeslessons.com and I have to say its the best $20 a month that I spend drum related. Here's the thing, this is about learning new grooves, fills, different world beats, ideas, sticking, etc.... this method will not necessarily fix technique problems that you may have but if you are lacking ideas or want to learn new stuff then this is PERFECT!

Add to that MP3's and PDF notation for every lesson - plus open question and answer sessions at the end of each lesson completely live via a chat platform..... 3 days a week/3 times a day (there is a beginner lesson on Sunday, Intermediate on Monday and Advanced on Wednesday). And each lesson is archived for 2 weeks so you can go back and watch it if you missed it live. HELLO? ALL FOR $20 A MONTH. To me, its a no brainer.

I have to say that I have taken private lessons in the past with other instructors and I've learned far more from these online live lessons. There is absolutely no contract period or anything... simply pay via paypal or credit card and cancel anytime. There are people from all over the world taking these lessons which affords us the great monthly price.

Now for the best part - the instructor. This cat has to be one of the top 20 drummers in the US and I've yet to see something he cant do.... let alone teach. Simply check him out on youtube (Mike Johnston) to see brief clips of his playing abilities.

Do yourself a favor - try it for a month and see how you like it. I challenge anyone who takes 1 on 1 private lessons to sign up as well.... I would be surprised if you don't get more out of this for a fraction of the price.

Check out his website.... check out his youtube stuff.... I'm sure I'll see you in the members chat/lessons soon enough.

Back