Song question

M

Mike_In_KC

I love Social Distortion's "Story of My Life" and it is a super easy one to play - EXCEPT the stupid fast kick drum that I think I hear. Am I hearing correctly that the drummer plays the kick on "3 + &" the whole time? It is just out of my reach tempo wise but I am super close.... If I only play on 3 and skip the & for a few measures I can throw in the & on occasion - just not every time....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh8zcbC_Dcw

Thanks -

MM

Haven't heard the song but you can get programs/apps to slow music down and figure it out.

Yep. I'm hearing kick drum on 1 and 3 &

Not particularly fast or difficult mate. And certainly nothing that is out of reach or requires anything out of the ordinary. Just a matter of practise. You'll get this one, no worries.

Yep. I'm hearing kick drum on 1 and 3 &

Not particularly fast or difficult mate. And certainly nothing that is out of reach or requires anything out of the ordinary. Just a matter of practise. You'll get this one, no worries.

Thanks guys - yeah after working on it for all of 20 minutes I was getting the kick hits down - funny...

I don't know where you are in your drumming. But, many people try to immediately master both leg and hand parts at the same time. Early on especially it can be easiest to master the bass part then the snare part then the cymbal part and the tom Part and afterwards put them all altogether. Slower then faster. There is usually no hurry.

I don't know where you are in your drumming. But, many people try to immediately master both leg and hand parts at the same time. Early on especially it can be easiest to master the bass part then the snare part then the cymbal part and the tom Part and afterwards put them all altogether. Slower then faster. There is usually no hurry.

I have about 10 months of "experience" playing - so still a newb. Funny - the process you described is exactly what I did. I started just playing the kick, then added the snare. After playing on the snare and kick for a few minutes I added the hi hat. After about 20 minutes total I had it. For some reason I am still a little slow when I move time keeping to the ride cymbal but I am fixing that too. Thanks for the input!!!

MM

I was really into punk rock when I started on drums and wanted to instantly play the "punk beat" - kick/snare/kick-kick/snare to songs like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWbCaI2D7do

That was WAY too fast so I just stuck with more of a polka beat kick/snare/kick/snare until I could do that as fast as I needed. Then I tried to introduce the second kick beat.

The technique that really helped was to hit the pedal on the first beat with my heel, release pressure just enough for the beater to swing back, then roll my foot forward and hit again with my toe. That results in (almost) only one downward movement at your knee which makes things much easier.

Best of luck!

Back