DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Neil Peart

Neil Peart inspired me to begin playing. Greatest drummer in the world? I've no idea. He's better than me, that much I do know.

Better? Best? Worse? Worst? These are all subjective words in this and many other contexts. Ask 100 people and you'd most likely get 100 different answers.

I like the way he plays and, in my book, that's all that matters.

:D
Old 08-07-2015, 03:39 AM

Back from the MGM grand. I complained about Rush being too quiet when I saw them in 2010, got what was coming to me. Second loudest concert I've ever seen. Here's my review as an amateur drummer...

Neil looked tired but was firing on all cylinders. Others have said maybe he should get some sleep instead of riding his motorcycle to the show. Hard to tell but I'd guess he was playing maybe 10% more reserved, hitting not quite as hard as I've seen him hit. Flawless performance. Subdivisions never gets old and the 7/4 to 4/4 transition gets me every time. Solos sounded a bit tired and recycled but that's not what I came to see. Jacob's Ladder had one of the most mind bending displays of drumming I've ever seen. A treat to hear two different kits made from the same tree. The oak bass drum was as expected, punchy but not overpowering. High toms took some getting used to, more of a woody sound than the maple I am used to. Even the 8 inch tom on the R40 kit had a lower pitch, he had to use concert toms to get his classic high pitched tom sound on the replica double bass kit. Snare had a nice crack but couldn't cut through Alex's guitar on either kit. The replica double bass kit had a higher snare tuning. Low toms had mind blowing low end though no definition, each hit or roll was just a wall of bass. Paragons sounded great. 5th time I've seen Rush, possibly the last time I'll get to see the master. To quote Geddy, "I'll never forget it."

no drums
Old 08-12-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
Back from the MGM grand. I complained about Rush being too quiet when I saw them in 2010, got what was coming to me. Second loudest concert I've ever seen. Here's my review as an amateur drummer...

Neil looked tired but was firing on all cylinders. Others have said maybe he should get some sleep instead of riding his motorcycle to the show. Hard to tell but I'd guess he was playing maybe 10% more reserved, hitting not quite as hard as I've seen him hit. Flawless performance. Subdivisions never gets old and the 7/4 to 4/4 transition gets me every time. Solos sounded a bit tired and recycled but that's not what I came to see. Jacob's Ladder had one of the most mind bending displays of drumming I've ever seen. A treat to hear two different kits made from the same tree. The oak bass drum was as expected, punchy but not overpowering. High toms took some getting used to, more of a woody sound than the maple I am used to. Even the 8 inch tom on the R40 kit had a lower pitch, he had to use concert toms to get his classic high pitched tom sound on the replica double bass kit. Snare had a nice crack but couldn't cut through Alex's guitar on either kit. The replica double bass kit had a higher snare tuning. Low toms had mind blowing low end though no definition, each hit or roll was just a wall of bass. Paragons sounded great. 5th time I've seen Rush, possibly the last time I'll get to see the master. To quote Geddy, "I'll never forget it."

I don't like the sound of his DW kit. The toms sound "thumpy" not like his '80's Tama kit. Those albums from Permanent Waves through to whenever he switched to his Luddy kit cannot be beat.
'
Old 08-13-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumlove65 View Post
I don't like the sound of his DW kit. The toms sound "thumpy" not like his '80's Tama kit. Those albums from Permanent Waves through to whenever he switched to his Luddy kit cannot be beat.
'
Have you heard the oak DWs? Different animal. My all around favorite was the maple Time Machine kit as far as tone. Permanent Waves was just a great record, Spirit of Radio guitar tone, man.
no drums
Old 08-13-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Have you heard the oak DWs? Different animal. My all around favorite was the maple Time Machine kit as far as tone. Permanent Waves was just a great record, Spirit of Radio guitar tone, man.
My humble opinion is generally that DW is over priced and over rated. I realize experienced recording or session drummers switch around from one manufacturer to another probably more for "what can you give me" than tonal preferences but Peart's Tama kit on those albums between his Slingerland and his Ludwig kits sound richer, more resonant than any other kit he has endorsed. I think Tama has lagged since the 80's it's a shame.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:54 AM

Back when Neil switched from Tama to Ludwig he did side by side testing of sets from maybe 5 major manufacturers. He just liked the sound of the Ludwigs a touch more than the others at that point. So for him, at that point, it was all about tone...as opposed to who could give him the most stuff. I haven't read why he ended up with DW, but I imagine it's the same reason....he likes how they sound.
FWIW, I am a huge fan of those SuperStars myself.

One interesting thing I remember reading was about him going from Zildjian to Sabian. He had been playing Zildjian for over 2O years, and ended up jamming on a kit that had Sabians...and he said the Sabians blew away the Zildjians. I've noticed the opposite myself. I've been playing Zildjians forever....ended up jamming on a kit with Sabians a few times....and thought they sounded like crap compared to the Zildjians, lol! Oh well, Neil will always be my favorite drummer, but that doesn't mean we have to agree on all the gear.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Phil View Post

. . . .

One interesting thing I remember reading was about him going from Zildjian to Sabian. He had been playing Zildjian for over 2O years, and ended up jamming on a kit that had Sabians...and he said the Sabians blew away the Zildjians. I've noticed the opposite myself. I've been playing Zildjians forever....ended up jamming on a kit with Sabians a few times....and thought they sounded like crap compared to the Zildjians, lol! Oh well, Neil will always be my favorite drummer, but that doesn't mean we have to agree on all the gear.

When it comes to the opinions of long time veterans (musicians, car guys, whatever) I always consider that in many cases they have heard the same sounding gear for decades and sometimes are turned on to something new just because it's fresh to them. So what may blow them away will often sound awful to me because I still prefer those awesome sounding cymbals that they are sick and tired of hearing.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumlove65 View Post
My humble opinion is generally that DW is over priced and over rated.
I feel the same way, I'm a Yamaha fan until the day I die, but the Time Machine kit, those were some good sounding drums live. I've never been a huge DW fan but every DW kit I've ever heard Neil play, 3 now, has fit him perfectly.

Always wondered what Neil would sound like on a set of Oak Customs and the R40 kit sounded pretty close.

Neil's endorsement is huge to DW, it's all one big money grab. Rush made a million dollars a show and he's still selling Tshirts. corporate America.
no drums
Old 08-31-2015, 12:14 AM

I was thinking about the subject of Neil's gear myself just recently and, as a long-time fan, personally prefer the sound of his early-80s Tamas/Zildjians to any other set up he's used before or since.

I saw Rush twice at Stafford Bingley Hall in England in late-1981 during the band's creative high of the Moving Pictures/Exit Stage Left tour and the sound of Neil's wooden Tamas - and his playing - was incredible.

The sound of the kit on the last album, Clockwork Angels, was - for me anyway - muddy and mixed too low.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermac View Post

The sound of the kit on the last album, Clockwork Angels, was - for me anyway - muddy and mixed too low.
Snakes and Arrows had a pretty good drum mix. recorded in an amazing studio too.
no drums
Old 02-28-2016, 05:34 PM

Yeah so Neil retired... thoughts? bittersweet but he's had a great run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOWBLOuLIDU
no drums
Old 02-28-2016, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a few replies to that question...http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...calls+it+quits
Old 03-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

I have seen Rush numerous times starting in the mid 70s. I am a big fan of the band and Neil. I saw them this year and for the first time I felt Neil was showing his age. Still amazing mind you. He hits hard and the things he plays with the level of precision require, as one would expect, a lot of practice. It sounds as though it is just a painful thing for him. I hope he continues to perform in a much more limited capacity but I understand if he doesn't. I am thankful I got to see him so may times.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
I saw them this year and for the first time I felt Neil was showing his age.
this explains it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpBWRJlbBCA
no drums
Old 10-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Nice! I had not seen this video lol!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Phil View Post

The way Lennie Dimuzzio was treated by Zildjian after the passing of Armand had a lot to do with that decision as well. Sabian welcomed Lennie with open arms and Neil went with him.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
The way Lennie Dimuzzio was treated by Zildjian after the passing of Armand had a lot to do with that decision as well. Sabian welcomed Lennie with open arms and Neil went with him.
After the passing of Armand, and Lennie Dimuzzio going from Zildjian to Sabian is the reason many Zildjian endorsers stopped endorsing Zildjian.

Many followed Lennie to Sabian.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
Nice! I had not seen this video lol!
I laughed hard, only because it must have been made by a true Rush fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
Sabian welcomed Lennie with open arms and Neil went with him.
Paragons sound awful to the naked ear, nothing like on their studio albums. not like A Customs sound much better which is the closest Zildjian equivalent I can think of.

to Sabian's credit the Paragons sounded great on Snakes and Arrows with some tweaking in the studio.
no drums
Old 11-05-2016, 01:16 AM

I'm a couple of chapters into Neil's newly-released book.

Like his drumming and his song lyrics, it's so well-crafted.

There's been some debate about Las Vegas residencies, one-off shows etc.

But one thing that comes across with crystal clarity? He's not coming back.

Thanks for 35 years of inspiration, Neil.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:25 PM

I myself am a huge Neil Peart fan but I've noticed how the quality of his drums are sounding not so good. I don't hate DW Drums but I think Neil should really do what he did back then and not use the stock heads on his drums. If he got like a Roll the Bones or Moving Pictures sound on his drums that would be good but I think it's because he stopped using the Slingerland snare. Ever since the Snakes and Arrows DVD the drums sound horribly tuned to me. The snare on the R30 DVD and album sounds godly compared to what it is now. But Neil really should go back to not using the stock heads. But his tech I think has said that his drums are like rarely tuned so that's why they probably sound awful. Neil is still a good drummer but it's just the EQ and what not is really awful.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCamelot View Post
I myself am a huge Neil Peart fan but I've noticed how the quality of his drums are sounding not so good. I don't hate DW Drums but I think Neil should really do what he did back then and not use the stock heads on his drums. If he got like a Roll the Bones or Moving Pictures sound on his drums that would be good but I think it's because he stopped using the Slingerland snare. Ever since the Snakes and Arrows DVD the drums sound horribly tuned to me. The snare on the R30 DVD and album sounds godly compared to what it is now. But Neil really should go back to not using the stock heads. But his tech I think has said that his drums are like rarely tuned so that's why they probably sound awful. Neil is still a good drummer but it's just the EQ and what not is really awful.
Different strokes, I guess. he must like the sound.

The information that drums are rarely tuned is incorrect, but his current sound is definitely way different than the old Ludwig or Tama kits of yesteryear.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Different strokes, I guess. he must like the sound.

The information that drums are rarely tuned is incorrect, but his current sound is definitely way different than the old Ludwig or Tama kits of yesteryear.
I think I meant the heads are rarely changed or something I don't remember
Old 12-04-2016, 09:30 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nu0FwUgAJs

Neil in his prime. still can't believe how hard he used to hit. look at that kit move.
no drums
Old 12-04-2016, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Neil in his prime. still can't believe how hard he used to hit. look at that kit move.
I would consider his prime to be a lot earlier than the Time Machine tour - that was just three tours ago and he was beginning to slow his roll. His "prime" was Hemispheres to about Counterparts, IMO.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I would consider his prime to be a lot earlier than the Time Machine tour - that was just three tours ago and he was beginning to slow his roll. His "prime" was Hemispheres to about Counterparts, IMO.
relatively speaking since I first saw him in 2007. I meant more like the prime of his later years.

saw Rush in

Time Machine was probably the most memorable because my wife got to see him for the first time and Ghost Rider was a pivotal factor in us getting married believe it or not.
no drums
Old 12-26-2016, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

He can only get the tone he wants out of his drums by hitting them hard. He doesn't really dent or break heads either.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:

In my experience, drums move like that when there's a bit too much give in the flooring, regardless of how hard you hit. If he doesn't dent or break heads (as someone claimed) the flooring of the riser/stage may be a factor.

Neil was my first favourite drummer. I love how well he scripts his fills but I kinda don't like that he never varies from the script. Can you imagine playing the same song for 30 years and never coming up with an improvement on what you played in the original recording? That's unusual, but he's one of the greats to me.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
relatively speaking since I first saw him in 2007. I meant more like the prime of his later years.

saw Rush in

Time Machine was probably the most memorable because my wife got to see him for the first time and Ghost Rider was a pivotal factor in us getting married believe it or not.
He was still great right up until the end.

But as others have said, his peak was in the 1980s.

Check out this show from 83/84 if you haven't already seen it.

Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6fX5rB_9L0
Old 12-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Most of that kit is really up in the air. It doesn't take much to get things moving with stands that tall.That said, Neil seems to be a bigger hitter than most
Old 12-29-2016, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTheSong View Post
Neil was my first favourite drummer. I love how well he scripts his fills but I kinda don't like that he never varies from the script. Can you imagine playing the same song for 30 years and never coming up with an improvement on what you played in the original recording? That's unusual, but he's one of the greats to me.
He was my first favorite drummer, too. Actually, Ringo and Moonie were, but NP was the first one to get my full undivided attention and made me feel like I really needed to figure out what he was doing.

The Grace Under Pressure tour video has some great moments where his playing gets pretty far off the recorded version. For example, the middle section of The Weapon is quite a bit more adventurous than what's on the record. It feels pretty improvised to me, though it's hard to know how much of it actually was.

I remember reading an interview back in the '80s where he said he liked solving his drum part puzzles before recording, but that other better ideas would often occur to him later and he'd essentially rewrite his parts before or during the tours. That was part of the reason they'd regularly do live records.

But I agree that he generally sticks to the script. For me, I appreciate and admire that approach because he treats his parts as actual compositions that perhaps *shouldn't* deviate a whole lot. Rush was not a jazz band or a jam band so to go looking for three guys to have a spontaneous musical conversation on stage misses the point of what they were all about.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTheSong View Post
In my experience, drums move like that when there's a bit too much give in the flooring, regardless of how hard you hit.
or sheer amount of energy expended, and DW's hardware. not saying things wouldn't be more solid were he using, say a Yamaha hex rack. still, makes for an enjoyable visual effect.
no drums
Old 12-31-2016, 02:09 AM

Quote:
or sheer amount of energy expended, and DW's hardware. not saying things wouldn't be more solid were he using, say a Yamaha hex rack. still, makes for an enjoyable visual effect.
If he expanded out to a double bass kit again, his kit wouldn't really be super compact. However, if he used a rack for his kit, his kit would be a little odd considering how compact his kit is, like I said.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
He was my first favorite drummer, too. Actually, Ringo and Moonie were, but NP was the first one to get my full undivided attention and made me feel like I really needed to figure out what he was doing.

The Grace Under Pressure tour video has some great moments where his playing gets pretty far off the recorded version. For example, the middle section of The Weapon is quite a bit more adventurous than what's on the record. It feels pretty improvised to me, though it's hard to know how much of it actually was.

I remember reading an interview back in the '80s where he said he liked solving his drum part puzzles before recording, but that other better ideas would often occur to him later and he'd essentially rewrite his parts before or during the tours. That was part of the reason they'd regularly do live records.

But I agree that he generally sticks to the script. For me, I appreciate and admire that approach because he treats his parts as actual compositions that perhaps *shouldn't* deviate a whole lot. Rush was not a jazz band or a jam band so to go looking for three guys to have a spontaneous musical conversation on stage misses the point of what they were all about.
Thanks for the re-education! I'll have to check out those rewrites.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

I remember taping (VHS) the Grace tour video off of MTV and re-watching it constantly as a kid.

Also, "Closer to the Heart" version on that video is pretty loose as far as Rush goes. And it's not just Neil that (mostly) sticks to the records. It's not like Geddy and Alex are up there improving either.

Also, I never quite get why Neil often gets criticized for not going off the script when that fact is MOST rock bands post-1970's don't get off the script much (save the jam bands). Sure, The Who, Led Zep, Deep Purple and others made the long jam and improve sections a staple of concerts, and the Grateful Dead made a career out of it, but since the early 80's very few bands really do that.

I recall talking to Steve Smith at a drum clinic around 1990 or so, and him mentioning some Journey songs were played the exact same way every night.

I've seen Metallica play on multiple nights in a row (though not recently) and every thing, down to the in-between song banter, was identical night after night.

So it's really not just a Neil thing.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Also, I never quite get why Neil often gets criticized for not going off the script when that fact is MOST rock bands post-1970's don't get off the script much (save the jam bands). Sure, The Who, Led Zep, Deep Purple and others made the long jam and improve sections a staple of concerts, and the Grateful Dead made a career out of it, but since the early 80's very few bands really do that.

I recall talking to Steve Smith at a drum clinic around 1990 or so, and him mentioning some Journey songs were played the exact same way every night.

I've seen Metallica play on multiple nights in a row (though not recently) and every thing, down to the in-between song banter, was identical night after night.

So it's really not just a Neil thing.
I really think most of the negativity towards Neil was a reaction to his immense popularity. When someone becomes that worshipped, there's a backlash. People would criticize him for things they wouldn't for others.

It's kind of unfair, but Neil has left quite a legacy and his influence is undeniable at this point.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
Most of that kit is really up in the air. It doesn't take much to get things moving with stands that tall.That said, Neil seems to be a bigger hitter than most

Funny thing about how hard he plays, I find myself hitting harder when playing Rush songs. There's just a "snap" to his feel that brings it out of me when playing his songs.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post
Funny thing about how hard he plays, I find myself hitting harder when playing Rush songs. There's just a "snap" to his feel that brings it out of me when playing his songs.
it's impossible to play Marathon without hitting as hard as possible.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've made it through that song in one piece.
no drums
Old 02-25-2017, 09:44 PM

Neil is my original drum hero.

I'm one of the million or so drummers he launched in the 70s and 80s. Funny thing is I dont want to play like him. I mean I wish I could play like him. But I gravitate more to dance-able grooves, whether thats funk, latin, sexy-rock, whatever.

Still I love listening to Rush and the composition and execution of Neil's parts continue to amaze me.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:47 AM
Silver Member

I remember the first time I saw Rush in '92 on the Roll The Bones Tour. I couldn't get over how hard Neil was hitting the drums. A few years later I saw him in an interview where he said that he used to play his sticks backwards where the butt end would strike the head and that he tried to hit through the drum to the floor. After seeing that interview I thought, "well, now that makes sense" lol.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:20 PM

I happened to find an interesting interview with Modern Drummer from Pro-Mark's Instagram which I thought was worth giving a read which it really is.

https://www.moderndrummer.com/articl...16-neil-peart/