Drum Wrap Butt Joint

Liaztraht

Silver Member
I am working on restoring a free cheapo kit, finally picked the wrap material and such, but I have one question I need answered before I wrap.

I want to butt joint the seams.

I am going to be using some sparkle vinyl upholstery for the wrap, and I am not sure of the durability of that kind of seam. I know regular wraps can shrink away creating a gap, while vinyl is less prone to shrinkage.

I have only found 2 people on 2 forums that have butt jointed this material, but both have been inactive for a couple years so I cannot ask them.

I have gone through Google so thoroughly that they asked me if I was a robot and had to go through a re-captcha just to continue searching!

I will be fully glueing, but just need to ask if anyone has experience with this?
If you've done it, did it ever pull apart?

Thanks for any help and pointers.

I just rec'd a brand new DW kit in Green Glass and the wrap was butt-jointed. I believe this is a newer thing for them. I have a DW tom in the same wrap made in 2014 and it's overlapped. Below is a snap of the new seam. The angle of the picture makes it look wider and noticeable than it really is.

19894630_10154446024971595_8690766351420905770_n.jpg

I am working on restoring a free cheapo kit, finally picked the wrap material and such, but I have one question I need answered before I wrap.

I want to butt joint the seams.

I am going to be using some sparkle vinyl upholstery for the wrap, and I am not sure of the durability of that kind of seam. I know regular wraps can shrink away creating a gap, while vinyl is less prone to shrinkage.

I have only found 2 people on 2 forums that have butt jointed this material, but both have been inactive for a couple years so I cannot ask them.

I have gone through Google so thoroughly that they asked me if I was a robot and had to go through a re-captcha just to continue searching!

I will be fully glueing, but just need to ask if anyone has experience with this?
If you've done it, did it ever pull apart?

Thanks for any help and pointers.

If you're using material (upholstery) I would 'not' use any glue. I've used upholstery bf and didn't use anything, the lug's held the material on quite well.

IMO you should just hide the joints at the back of the kit, a little overlap with double stick tape is fine.

If you're using material (upholstery) I would 'not' use any glue. I've used upholstery bf and didn't use anything, the lug's held the material on quite well.

IMO you should just hide the joints at the back of the kit, a little overlap with double stick tape is fine.

The problem with that though, I am using material that is the same as what ive been researching in various threads. It is a bit thicker than standard wrap. And can also slide around if not glued or at least taped. I was trying to avoid head fittiment issues.

It has a cloth backing to give the glue some bite. And I will be using contact cement.

Gluing vinyl on drums with contact cement? Really? What makes you think this a good idea?

The fact that it is much less expensive than even the cheapest true wrap, its been done with awesome results many times. And it's for refurbishing a kit that is sub $100 used. I got the kit free and see no point in dumping a couple hundred in on real wrap.

They will be under the lugs, I am just curious about he stability of a butt joint instead of an overlap

I would do a one inch overlap, put it just next to, or under a lug and not worry. Figure out the back of the drum as viewed from the audience and put the wrap under one of those lugs.

I'm fairly sure the overlap is there to allow for some shrinkage over time, and the prevent the edges from lifting/curling. If your material is thicker than normal then sure, cut through both thicknesses with a blade and a straight edge and they should sit well.

Rather than contact cement, perhaps a light spray adhesive would be enough to stop the wrap moving or lifting. But you'd need something stronger each side of the seam, maybe an inch or so of stronger glue or tape. I'd also put the seam under some lugs to both hide it and secure it.

I'm fairly sure the overlap is there to allow for some shrinkage over time, and the prevent the edges from lifting/curling. If your material is thicker than normal then sure, cut through both thicknesses with a blade and a straight edge and they should sit well.

Rather than contact cement, perhaps a light spray adhesive would be enough to stop the wrap moving or lifting. But you'd need something stronger each side of the seam, maybe an inch or so of stronger glue or tape. I'd also put the seam under some lugs to both hide it and secure it.

Good point on shrinkage. Change in temperature could cause havoc. Double side tape one end to the drum, wrap, one inch overlap, with double sided tape, then put the seam under the lugs.
Another hint. Most wrap are color on a white background, and the end of the wrap will show a white strip. Use a color matched marker to paint the edge so ti wont show on the overlap. Here is a photo of a seam on a snare I wrapped. You can see the white edge that I should have colored before putting it on.

Attachments

• IMG_4636.JPG
    IMG_4636.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 178

I dont know why I was saying contact cement haha. Must of picked it up from a rewrap thread I googled before posting! Its a spray adhesive I will be using.
It will also be under the lugs in the back.

Good point on shrinkage. Change in temperature could cause havoc. Double side tape one end to the drum, wrap, one inch overlap, with double sided tape, then put the seam under the lugs.
Another hint. Most wrap are color on a white background, and the end of the wrap will show a white strip. Use a color matched marker to paint the edge so ti wont show on the overlap. Here is a photo of a seam on a snare I wrapped. You can see the white edge that I should have colored before putting it on.

Good to know about the edges. Thanks!

I will try the overlap first on one drum and check fittiment. If not then cut it back if needed.

The reasons I am gluing is I want the wrap to stick. It is rather flexible being a fabric type designed to be sat on, and through the threads I've been reading, if not glued, would start bunching and rolling under the heads. Which is another reason I wanted to attempt this without overlap.

Here is the thread that got me thinking of the butt joint. Unfortunately the OP of the thread hasn't been active since 2015. Around halfway through he decided to use the same stuff I am using.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79199

Making a perfect butt joint with that stuff will be very difficult especially if it is stretchable. Color the edges of the wrap to match the wrap. Also color the shell where the butt joint will be so if there is seperation it will be hard to see.

Post pictures for us.

Making a perfect butt joint with that stuff will be very difficult especially if it is stretchable. Color the edges of the wrap to match the wrap. Also color the shell where the butt joint will be so if there is seperation it will be hard to see.

Post pictures for us.

I will be posting pics when done. The material is shipping currently.

Back