If you were to strip down your kit to a 3-piece...

R

Random Name 123

... Would you find it harder to perform quick fills and rolls between floor tom and snare as opposed to having one or more toms in between as a bridge like usual?

Anyone else use just three drums?

I find it easier with only a snare, tom and kick.

I have no idea why, but I play open handed on a righty kit. I only use my rack tom for accents and the like, so it's just as well I have 2 floor toms!

Yes I use snare, rack tom and kick at church sometimes. I love it because I stick the ride where the other rack tom/floor tom would be. It's so simple and it stops overplaying and makes you keep things simple but somehow more interesting because you explore the sound of the remaining tones much better.

Peace
Davo

... Would you find it harder to perform quick fills and rolls between floor tom and snare as opposed to having one or more toms in between as a bridge like usual?
It can be tricky going to and fro if I want to keep an even number of strokes on each drum. Otherwise, it's no problem at all, actually easier to do some combinations than between snare and rack tom.

You may find it "unnatural" at first; however, once your body learns where the drums are, you may find that the smaller and less complex kit opens new possibilities. I am reminded of the two part maxim: Keep It Simple Silly and Always Simply Systems.

Best wishes

GJS

hmmm I'd go with a bass drum, 13" snare and a 10" snare. yeah I'd go for 2 sanres, to me that would help me focus more on groove, than "hmm.... what fill should come next..." lol

toms are for chumps. *looks at kit* oh wait a minute.....

-Jonathan

4103971244_5f9d9d1c6c.jpg

no joke I use this setup every week for a 3 hour gig. I can play anything on it. it's actually an upgrade from last year when I was playing with just a snare drum and a tambourine on the floor that I played with my foot. now I have kick, snare, hat, splash, and a tambourine ring. moving on up!

most fills are on the snare or between the snare and the kick. I simplify alot of fills down to eighth notes and try to focus on a good "phrase" as opposed to a good "lick".

I played my first show in manhattan this year and only used a snare and hats. you have to trust your bass player alot to pull a gig off like that. I had some musician friends in the audience tell me they didn't even realize I didn't have a kick until I told them. (it was a cramped stage and bar so I don't blame them for not SEEING)

I went from using 5 toms to just 3 and at first it took some getting used to but now I really like it. I actually bought a used Spaun kit last month and it came with 4 toms....tried it but just wasn't feeling it. So I left the 10" in the case and went back to having 3 toms. I can truly appreciate they guys who use small setups (like you described). And holy hell McBike... props to you for only using a snare and hats lol. That would be tough but probably fun!

Anyone else use just three drums?

If you're used to a 5 pc and perform rolls from left to right then yes, it's hard the first time. But soon you'll adapt and develop snare and foot technique.

I don't understand the amount of attention spent on toms when talkign about drum pieces. I play most fills on snare or between snare and bass. Add in a hi hat for time-keeping and you're set.

I don't use toms that often. Sure, a hit here and there or a roll, but it's always spiced up with bass and hi hat. Often I can play the tom parts on the snare. It's nice to have a tom or two for colour.

Last edited:
I used to do demo recordings with just kick/snare/hats. Simplicity sometimes makes it easier. I used to play guitar with a guy who could do just fine with just a snare.

Talking about simplicity.

Pete Townshend (The Who) said to Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple) once: "Keep It Simple", that was the time when Ritchie came with that brilliant catchy guitar riff on - Smoke On The Water!

Cheers,

You may find it "unnatural" at first; however, once your body learns where the drums are, you may find that the smaller and less complex kit opens new possibilities. I am reminded of the two part maxim: Keep It Simple Silly and Always Simply Systems.

Best wishes

GJS

For our very first gig, the last band I was in booked at a tiny coffee shop in town. Obviously not enough room to cart in my huge kit, so I ended up playing the entire set on a bass, snare, and ride cymbal. I was pretty stoked at how well all the playing on a big kit can translate to just three or four "notes". We went on to play several gigs where I ended up playing a four or five piece kit depending on how small the stage was... good times.

Back