Is solo drumming music?

Yes I think it is because there's notes on a drum set. You tune your drums to different pitches and you have rhythm of course. So, why wouldn't it be considered music?

Utter nonsense! Comparing the difficulty in melodic and percussion notation is irrelevant, both have to be learned. You may find melodic notation harder because you have less experience of it. I've met numerous melodic readers who are dumbfounded by the sight of percussion music. Sheet music/melody has nothing to do with the musicality of drumming, that's a common misconception.

I have to disagree with that..

I will try to explain it like that:

drummer brain :
-----------------------
1) Think where to hit
2) Think on the duration of the hit. (the note duration, half, full and so o )

Piano, guitar and so on brain ..:
----------------------------------------------
1) Think where to hit.
3) Think on the Scale
4) Think on Sharp or Flat notes
5) Think on the Octave
6) Thinking on Legato, Harmonies.

I think you will agree with me that it is much more easy to "Read" drum notes.

Yes I think it is because there's notes on a drum set. You tune your drums to different pitches and you have rhythm of course. So, why wouldn't it be considered music?

Drums are not an harmonic instrument, sure you can tune the drum to sound like A , but then again A is also the sound of a phone line, it doesn't make it an harmonic instrument.

Now if you take the term music to it's loose explanation, or I should say , it's dictionary term, then, yes, drums is music.

i certainly believe that it is music, soloing on the drums is the expression of rythm patterns without melody, its about creating feel and for that, as dave weckl said, u need 3 ingredients which r, consistent time, dynamic contrast and sound variation......its the science of expressing oneself through rhythm with emotional content, so the end result is music as long as its played by someone who is spiritually in touch with his drumming, u ll find his energy exuberant when he plays.........

think about this, its not how good your technique is cause nobody cares about that, its about making what u play about u, your own unique sense of rhythm being expressed, making it less of a physical event and more of a spiritual one, also said by dave weckl.........
and that brings me to another point, the purpose of practice is to practice and train till u will be able to execute whatever u want rhythmically without having to think about it, unless all of what i said means jack to u guys, but to me, this justifies why solo drumming is music.......

or the question u shud be asking is, is a rhythm pattern a musical statement?

Last edited:

I'd never agree with you on that, simply because 'easy' and 'hard' are irrelevant terms - if you practice sight reading, whether melody or rhythm, the task becomes less hard. If you don't practice it will remain hard. QED ;)

I'd never agree with you on that, simply because 'easy' and 'hard' are irrelevant terms - if you practice sight reading, whether melody or rhythm, the task becomes less hard. If you don't practice it will remain hard. QED ;)

What is sight reading?

And again,the question is, where you need to practice more ? ( I guess the answer is clear on that.)
I just gave you a list, of all the stuff that the brain has to deal with, while reading notes of the different instruments. It clearly shows that the brain has to work harder in order to practice piano notes (or guitar..) .

I can say on myself, that up until now, reading notes for guitar is hard for me, while reading notes for drums, is much more easy and less mind draining.
(QED :) again.)

Drums are not an harmonic instrument, sure you can tune the drum to sound like A , but then again A is also the sound of a phone line, it doesn't make it an harmonic instrument.

Now if you take the term music to it's loose explanation, or I should say , it's dictionary term, then, yes, drums is music.

Well, we could go on forever but I mean there is music everywhere whether it's me typing this on the keyboard or the blinker in your car. I think of everything as music. Drums are instruments and instruments play music. But, I'm trying to start and argument and I apologize if I am.

Please watch and listen to any of my videos. If solo drumming isn't music, then what in the world am I trying to achieve? Also, as far as difficulty, imagine playing a guitar where the frets can be 4 or 5 FEET away from each other.

What is sight reading?

And again,the question is, where you need to practice more ? ( I guess the answer is clear on that.)
I just gave you a list, of all the stuff that the brain has to deal with, while reading notes of the different instruments. It clearly shows that the brain has to work harder in order to practice piano notes (or guitar..) .

I can say on myself, that up until now, reading notes for guitar is hard for me, while reading notes for drums, is much more easy and less mind draining.
(QED :) again.)

Which did you learn first, reading for guitar or for drums? Unfortunately your list doesn't prove anything about the brain having to work harder, we'd need to see brain scans for that. I'd wager that roughly the same areas of the brain would show activity of similar intensity. Proficiency in either type of reading is simply a matter of learning. How proficient are you at drum notes now, having learned for the guitar?
Having only played for 5 months you've got some strong views!

2) And the other group,the one that really play the drums, and without them the song would not sound the same, in that group you can find : Ian paice , neal prat , Jojo mayer ..
and many more. (this is the group I want to be :) )

Lol, controversial stuff. I reckon most pros would probably go for the time keepers over the chops guys for musicality. I did enjoy the misspelling of neal prat - 'prat' is a mild term of abuse in England

I have to disagree with that..

I will try to explain it like that:

drummer brain :
-----------------------
1) Think where to hit

Piano, guitar and so on brain ..:
----------------------------------------------
1) Think where to hit.
3) Think on the Scale
4) Think on Sharp or Flat notes
5) Think on the Octave
6) Thinking on Legato, Harmonies.

False- because by the time you are an accomplished reader in either area you simply do not go thru all those steps listed.It all becomes more second nature. Furthermore most melodic instruments are simply not playing material as difficult rhythmically as percussion ( think Whole notes, Half notes etc) Of course this is not always true...but often is... unless you are reading Zappa transcriptions for a full band.

I won't even get into the fact that many ...many...players "read" fake book material or tabs which are much simpler to read.

One final note: Marimba or any mallet percussion has every bit as much Harmonic or melodic reading as any other "note" instrument.

Back