Open handed technique

Even if your hands are literally open, you only refer open handed playing when it's your non dominant.

By your logic (sic), if you see me playing, you have no idea if I'm playing open-handed or cross-handed. You can't tell if any drummer you don't know is playing open or crossed, because you don't know if they're left-handed or right-handed. And what if that person is ambidextrous (I mean actually ambidextrous, not the casual way you're tossing around the term)?

As a matter of fact, as opposed to argument, I'm cross-handed (left-handed at some things, but right-handed at others). This is NOT the same as ambidexterity, where one is equally adept with either hand at everything.

So. I am cross-handed. I play drums right-handed. For the sake of argument, my kit is set up left-handed. I am hitting the hihat with my right hand.

Am I playing cross-handed? How do you know?

I've been playing open handed exclusively for four years (around 2008-2012) on a traditional setup: hihat on the left, ride on the right, sometimes an additional ride on the left. On the hihat I led with my left, except for hand-to-hand patterns.

That being said, I (still) absolutely agree with Todd Bishop.

There is a lot of cons I could just repeat what he and some others said (and maybe I will at some other time), but some stuff wasn't mentioned.

First thing is your hihat position. If it's too high, you have to raise your arm uncomfortably. So lowering it is the common step (like Simon Phillips, Claus Hessler etc.). But if it's as low as theirs, you can't play the edge of the hihat anymore, at least with your right hand. Which eliminates hand-to-hand playing quite generally, as well as throwing in some accents with your right hand on the hats. Carter Beaufort has it higher, as had I. My left shoulder didn't like open handed playing, resulting in a lot of tensions.

Next, having your arms/hands in the crossed position seems a lot more natural to me, concerning physiognomy. A little test: Hold your hands in a position like if you're holding a joypad. Then hold an imaginary magazine. Lastly, hold a huge imaginary newspaper. Stay in every position for 5 seconds, maybe 20.
For me, the first position is by far(!) the most relaxed one and it's closest to playing crossed. Depending on your setup and your body, open handed playing can be stress for your arms and shoulders.

You find a lot of videos on youtube showing well-known (crossed-)players leading with their left hand, i.e. Dennis Chambers, Chris Coleman, Benny Greb and some more. You can see that they _can_ do it, so why _don't_ they do it on a regular basis, if it's so benificial? Maybe they play something that only works open (like "don't stop believin'"). Or maybe they just want to show off. In retrospective I know the latter was true for me. I wanted to impress. The sad thing is that one can only impress drummers (not all of them) and some other musicians. Hardly anyone in the audience will notice, probably noone will notice it on a recording. It's a technical gimmick, not important for the music. This might be the reason why the drummers mentioned above don't usually lead with their left hand. They are not well-known for technical magic tricks but for their musicianship (this statement might not be 100% true).

Bringing left handed players, odd kit setups and other things into the discussion isn't clarifying anything.

No it doesn't clarify. But it wasn't really meant to. It was intended to highlight how confusing trying to define open handed playing as only being open when the non-dominant hand is playing that hats, is.

I still disagree with this definition. I find it far too limiting as it doesn't take into account a guy like Bordin, but it appears I'll have to bow to the internet on this one.

I still think this:

Open handed implies that the hand playing the snare has unobstructed access to the various components of the kit, and is not reliant on what the crossed hand is or isn't doing. It doesn't matter whether it's the stronger or weaker hand that has this access.

Weaker hand development is not the core purpose of open-handed playing, nor is it a requirement, although it is certainly a benefit if one wants to go down that route.

Full disclosure: I play open handed whereas my weaker hand leads on the hi-hat and ride in an uncrossed position a la Billy Cobham. However, guys like David Garibaldi play open handed too, where the dominant hand plays the hats. In having been so fortunate to speak with David Garibaldi on the subject once, he very much feels like he is playing open handed with his right hand with his auxillary hats on the right side, for many of the reasons noted above.

is a far better summation of what it is to play "open"......and far more succinctly put than I could manage. Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut and wait for Hewitt to convey in a few sentences, what it's taken me paragraphs to spit out. But given the contention, I'm happy to defer to you guys who are out there doing it and we'll roll with the far narrower and more confusing definition of the term. I'm still stuck in the dark ages with the dominant hand crossed onto the hats. What the hell do I know.

Thanks Jakob for the informative post. Given how bad my LH is I'd probably benefit from the embarrassment of trying to play open handed as an exercise :)

Apart from cost, weight and setup, remote hats seems like a good option because they open things up for the LH, which otherwise needs the RH to get out of the way when playing crossed if you want to play toms or some cymbals. Yet playing 16th note hat grooves would seem easier on a conventional setup.

As with any set configuration change - open handed opens up some doors while closing others.

By your logic (sic), if you see me playing, you have no idea if I'm playing open-handed or cross-handed. You can't tell if any drummer you don't know is playing open or crossed, because you don't know if they're left-handed or right-handed. And what if that person is ambidextrous (I mean actually ambidextrous, not the casual way you're tossing around the term)?

As a matter of fact, as opposed to argument, I'm cross-handed (left-handed at some things, but right-handed at others). This is NOT the same as ambidexterity, where one is equally adept with either hand at everything.

So. I am cross-handed. I play drums right-handed. For the sake of argument, my kit is set up left-handed. I am hitting the hihat with my right hand.

Am I playing cross-handed? How do you know?

-most drummers(and people in general) are right handed- there goes that social norm again, try and use it so we're all on the same page.
-casually throwing it around? doesn't matter if they're naturally ambidextrous or forced, because in the end, they're using both hands equally....
-easy...you're either right handed or left handed.

You find a lot of videos on youtube showing well-known (crossed-)players leading with their left hand, i.e. Dennis Chambers, Chris Coleman, Benny Greb
I'm not disagreeing with what you were saying, because did a good job pointing out the cons, but Benny Greb does not play anything left hand lead.

Seriously guys?

It's referenced around the Hi hat and the Hi hat only! Since in the two most dominant playing styles crossed or open, we play around the kit in the same fashion. We play the toms the same, we play the ride the same, we hit the kick drum with our right foot and operate the hats with our left foot. Again It's only about how your arms are positioned on the hats and the snare.

Bringing left handed players, odd kit setups and other things into the discussion isn't clarifying anything.

A left handed player playing open on a right handed kit is still playing open. A right handed player playing open on a right handed kit is still playing open.

Stop beating around the bush with what is very simple terminology.
Yep stated everything I already stated hahaha and yes i brought up left handed players because that is relevant to this thread.

Look, the best we can do is hold our assertions up to some scrutiny and see how they fare.

Just so that I'm clear, your assertion is that to play "open" handed, one must be using their non-dominant hand on the hats, yeah? Otherwise, even though the hands are "open" they're not really open because no one says open when playing crossed.......including the internet?

So applying your argument, what do we think about a guy like Puffy Bordin? He's widely regarded as being an "open handed" player, yeah? Because he sets up a right handed kit and his left hand is on the hats, right? But the dude is left handed. So although he's apparently "open" and towing the company line by employing the internet/Ayasso definition of what's open and what's not, he's still actually using his dominant hand on the hats, isn't he? That being the case and using your (and the internet's) logic as presented in this thread so far, he's not really "open" at all.......even though he appears to be as open as a ten dollar tart after a round of drinks on Saturday night......he's really not. That dominant left hand is the spanner in the works here, isn't it?

I'm perfectly willing to accept the fact that I may be a moron (my wife assures me I'm not, but my mates are not so convincing). But I'm just not gettin' it. If a principle applies, then it applies across the board, surely?
I'm not calling anyone a moron, this is a forum and interacting with musicians is the best way to learn. Let me say that it's not my definition and it isn't a definition in general. It's not a defined word, it's term that was developed by musicians. Terms, unfortunately, can change over time (you know like how old school slang is different from new school slang? darn kids, I know I know) but open handed playing is still referred to JUST hats. Nowadays theres a lot of playing styles. Since ambidextrous playing has become more popular, open handed playing has to be considered something specific. Because if if it weren't then these terms and styles would be vague and there would be no point in using them. No one would understand the difference between ambidextreous and open handed playing because they weren't specified. Just like that guy who just asked me how would I tell between a left handed player playing "open" and someone who's actually ambidextrous. That's why we have these terms, so we can specifically say he's playing open handed or not. No no and no open handed playing is NOT any playing in which your hands are not crossed. Because, like I said, that is VERY common and is considered standard or traditional playing. If you consider that open handed playing , then everyone would be considered open handed players, and this thread wouldn't make any sense, and playing the hi hat with your non dominant hand would now not have it's own term....etc

No Mike Bordin is not playing open handed, he's left handed, and his HH is on his left. That's the equivalent of any right handed player moving their HH to the right side to avoid crossing or playing open. Now if Bordin used his right hand(non dominant) on the HH on his right (which would be the traditional spot) THEN he'd be playing open handed.

EDIT: trying to simplify it even more, no offense, I am trying the best I can but I know it may come out confusing through my wording.

- If your right handed, but your playing your high hat with your left, you're referred to as playing open handed. Vice Versa. Set up doesn't matter as long as the HH and non dominant hand factors are correct then it's considered open handed. If you're right handed, and you're playing he ride with your right hand, and none of your hands are crossed, you are not playing open handed. This is traditional/standard and isn't considered open, not just because its socially common, it's the traditional way to play the drum set when your right handed. So yes Vice versa. Now if your doing anything else with your left foot or hand, as in leading lefty, then you should probably call it ambidextrous. Why? Because you're using both your hands as leads which is called ambidextrous by definition, so there is little to no argue with that.

-ALSO before everyone jumps on this and claims anything, I'm just going to point out that all percussion rudiments work both your hands equally. Ever notice that stick control exercises both hands 100% equally? Isn't that, by definition, ambidextrous? Just throwing it out there, maybe someone can shine some light on it...

Last edited:
Has this thread has now degraded into a silly semantic argument about the definition of "open handed"?

This thread is a perfect example of missing the forest for the trees.

Has this thread has now degraded into a silly semantic argument about the definition of "open handed"?

This thread is a perfect example of missing the forest for the trees.

Actually this is only a sub arguement between me and PFoG and anyone else who decides to jump in. If you saw my reply to JacobT then you'd know we're still discussing the original topic as well. Either way there's nothing wrong with discussing something to learn in the end.

As I've indicatedd, this is false. I am neither right-handed nor left-handed.

I understand why you don't want to properly address the rest of my post.

Good night.

Well then you're ambidextrous.

I did address your whole post, I simply gave short replies.

I don't sleep but thank you, same to you as well.

I'm not disagreeing with what you were saying, because did a good job pointing out the cons, but Benny Greb does not play anything left hand lead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ISgP51t2s

It's not much but here you are.
What he plays is something that could also be played with your dominant hand leading. But in this case he seems to prefer his stronger hand on the snare, since the "decorating" (accelerando, free hand technique) is easier with your strong hand, having your weaker hand play an ostinato.
This is btw one big pro for this kind of playing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ISgP51t2s

It's not much but here you are.
What he plays is something that could also be played with your dominant hand leading. But in this case he seems to prefer his stronger hand on the snare, since the "decorating" (accelerando, free hand technique) is easier with your strong hand, having your weaker hand play an ostinato.
This is btw one big pro for this kind of playing!

He's playing all right handed in the video. Only in the beginning he's playing open, i guess maybe some of that is lefty but not enough for me to notice. and btw i'm a huuuge Greb fan so I had to question this!

i guess maybe some of that is lefty but not enough for me to notice
You really know how to give people a hard time having a discussion with you. This inconsistency in reason and being "flexible" in adjusting arguments or definitions to whatever might be the counterargument fits quite perfectly to the showing off aspect of my list of cons:

"Will Kennedy isn't playing open handed. Man, he's not even leading with his weak hand. Not impressive."

You really know how to give people a hard time having a discussion with you. This inconsistency in reason and being "flexible" in adjusting arguments or definitions to whatever might be the counterargument fits quite perfectly to the showing off aspect of my list of cons:

"Will Kennedy isn't playing open handed. Man, he's not even leading with his weak hand. Not impressive."

Inconsistency? I haven't changed or gone back on anything I said. Maybe because I have to reword the same thing ten times in a row it comes out inconsistent. Idk what to tell you about Greb, he's awesome and plays traditional with his right hand, no left hand lead. He played open once...in the beginning of the video. Didn't look like he was actually leading with his left hand at all, and I wouldn't suspect someone like him to anything like that. Seriously, watching the video he's just playing those jazz rudiments but instead of his right hand on the ride its on the snare, and his left is on the crash. Not left lead. If Benny Greb was going full ambidextrous I'd be all over that! But he ain't...

Oh and explain your last sentence. What does showing have anything to do with what were discussing?

Oh and explain your last sentence. What does showing have anything to do with what were discussing?

Most of this thread discussion's is totally missing the OP question and it's getting quite ridiculous, all the OP wanted is the pros and cons of playing open handed which I duly explained in post #9, not an argument about the definition of "open handed".

Now the door's open (inward or outward) for more positive comments :)

Most of this thread discussion's is totally missing the OP question and it's getting quite ridiculous, all the OP wanted is the pros and cons of playing open handed which I duly explained in post #9, not an argument about the definition of "open handed".

Now the door's open (inward or outward) for more positive comments :)

Sorry bud but I always reply to everyone when they're trying to converse me directly, I don't like to ignore people.

Any who, IMO open handed comes down to comfortability. Just pick the one YOU like best.

I always reply to everyone when they're trying to converse me directly, I don't like to ignore people.

Speech is silver, silence is golden...

Any who, IMO open handed comes down to comfortability. Just pick the one YOU like best.

Doors analogies:

Does a door open inward or outward? ...it depends on which side of the door you're coming from, all what matter is that the door's opened.

What about sliding doors? Do they open to the left or to the right? ...again, it depends on which side of the door you're coming from, all what matter is that the door's opened.

These analogies apply to the approach of drumming as well, like you said, pick the one which suits your playing...

Did you know that Abe Laboriel Jr is playing open footed... :)

Well then you're ambidextrous.

Again, I am not ambidextrous; I'm cross-handed.

Your ignorance of the meaning of "ambidextrous" is the basis of much of your misunderstanding.

I don't mean to insult you. Most people seem to confuse "ambidextrous" with "cross-handed" (not the drumming term but the handedness definition). Again: Ambidextrous is when you are equally adept with either hand at most or all tasks. Cross-handed is when you are left-handed at some things, and right-handed at others.

Please learn this. It's important.

Again, I am not ambidextrous; I'm cross-handed.

Your ignorance of the meaning of "ambidextrous" is the basis of much of your misunderstanding.

I don't mean to insult you. Most people seem to confuse "ambidextrous" with "cross-handed" (not the drumming term but the handedness definition). Again: Ambidextrous is when you are equally adept with either hand at most or all tasks. Cross-handed is when you are left-handed at some things, and right-handed at others.

Please learn this. It's important.

Ok, let me explain this better. You're are cross dominant, which means you can do different things with different dominance. So you still have to have a dominance for drumming, it's either left, right or ambidextrous. Unless you lead left with your feet and right with your hands, something like that would be cross dominant.

Ok, let me explain this better. You're are cross dominant, which means you can do different things with different dominance. So you still have to have a dominance for drumming, it's either left, right or ambidextrous. Unless you lead left with your feet and right with your hands, something like that would be cross dominant.

Yes, but that goes to what I was trying to ask you earlier. I play drums either left- or -right-handed, that is true. You don't know which. By your definition of open-handed, how can you tell, by observation, if I am playing open-handed or close-handed?

(I lead with one hand and the opposite foot. It's a mess.)

Back